Late Bloomers

blueandgold

2 hours ago, bigballerb said:

Thomas Penola didn’t arrive on the scene until his junior year at Al Smith.

I think you could say Thomas Penola and Zack Fattore in the same sentence. Zack had 1 career loss going into junior year, but never wrestled in a state series due to injuries. These 2 hammers met in the Al Smith finals as the 8 and 9 seed I believe. Match went into OT with Penola winning on a stall call in between 3rd period and OT. 

For Hobart: Rafael Montez, was behind Eric Galka for most of his career, until his senior year, he broke onto the scene and took 3rd at state.

Another guy I always think of is Grant Martsolf who made the finals at state his senior year in his first ever state appearance. 

I’d say this goes with the late bloomers topic. Joey Cline came in as a freshman having never wrestled and was our starting 106 weighing 84 lbs he won like 3 matches that year. Now as a senior he’s ranked 20th at 113

Braxton Russell from Delta 

Freshman year went 17-12 and was a regional qualifier at 160lbs

Sophomore year wrestled first tournament of year…. Found out he had two stress fractures in his back and probably wasn’t going to wrestle the rest of the year… had a remarkable recovery was able to come back in January and made a run during tournament series and became a IHSAA State Qualifier at 170lbs (lost Friday night to guy who got 5th) and finished season 21-6.

Now as a junior is 14-1 (loss is to the #3 ranked guy) and is currently ranked #13 at 170

8 hours ago, brickfor6 said:

I think you could say Thomas Penola and Zack Fattore in the same sentence. Zack had 1 career loss going into junior year, but never wrestled in a state series due to injuries. These 2 hammers met in the Al Smith finals as the 8 and 9 seed I believe. Match went into OT with Penola winning on a stall call in between 3rd period and OT. 

For Hobart: Rafael Montez, was behind Eric Galka for most of his career, until his senior year, he broke onto the scene and took 3rd at state.

Another guy I always think of is Grant Martsolf who made the finals at state his senior year in his first ever state appearance. 

Montez was solid.  I remember him from my first year of coaching.  I remember Fattore having rough goes his first two years despite being well regarded.  Total scholar through, ending up at U. of Chicago. His Hobart class with Colza and Black was a good one.  Martsolf was one heck of a grinder.

21 hours ago, Kyle Ayersman said:

Dorian Keys at Brownsburg. First two years at Ben Davis he didn't wrestle. Came to us a junior and won a title that year plus a 3rd place finish. His first match against Westfield, he almost was DQ'ed for locking his hands too many times.

Well that's just on the coaching then.

On 12/23/2022 at 10:28 AM, Braxton Vest said:

I personally didn’t break the 100 pound mark until my sophomore year… then shot up during quarantine 

And you’re still flourishing as an Indiana Tech Warrior 💥 

Sam Hansen - Roncalli Class of 2018

First two years: 35-24 record, at least half of these 59 matches were jv matches. 

Frosh Year- 152lbs.  Didn’t make the varsity lineup until late in the season. Lost in the first round of sectionals. Did not place in any season tournaments.

Soph Year- 152lbs. Lost an early season wrestle off, but gained a starting lineup position mid season. Did not place in any season tournaments. Lost in the first round of the Marion County Tournament by technical fall. Placed third in the sectional, and lost first round of regionals.

Final Two years: 79-8 record 

Junior Year- 182lbs. 38-5. Marion County Champion. Connersville Spartan Classic runner-up. Conference Champion. Sectional champion. Regional runner-up. Lost in the ticket round to eventual state placer Evan Stambaugh, Lebanon by the score of 5-3. 

Senior Year- 195lbs. 41-3. Marion County Champion. Connersville Spartan Classic champion. Conference champion. Sectional champion. Regional champion. Semi state runner-up. State runner-up. Senior year losses to D1 wrestlers – Thomas Penola 2X , Lucas Davison in finals.

Jeremiah Harvey:

Sixth grade: First year wrestler, broke leg two weeks into season

Seventh grade: No wrestling

Eighth grade: No wrestling

Frosh: No wrestling

Soph: No wrestling, stepped on scale in late January, got intrigued again by Wrestling

Junior: Regional qualifier wrestler who was pinned first round

Senior: Conference runner-up, sectional third place, Regional champ, Semi-State champ, State champ

Definitely a candidate for most exciting run ever. All but one post-season win was either quick pin (7) or over-time (5). The one that wasn't avenged his only losses (four times to same guy) of the season. Semi-final state match was UTB. He won from top.

• 4 weeks later...