2024 Finals Location

awill0352

OK so we hear Big10 a major schedule sticklers years in advance without letting anyone outside the school programs know anything about gym availability until less than a year out.  But there is still the possibility Ball State or even Indiana State schedules are more flexible if discussions happened early enough. I’m just not sure a year out is early enough at this point.  Ford Center has to work around The Purple Aces basketball plans yearly for other events so clearly some college programs/conferences are a little easier to work with if given enough time to negotiate.  

Edited by MattM

9 minutes ago, MattM said:

While Big10 maybe sticklers with their scheduling without letting anyone outside the school programs know anything.  There is still the possibility Ball State or even Indiana State schedules are more flexible if discussions happened early enough. I’m just not sure a year out is early enough at this point. 

This

To summarize multiple statements/questions

Where will it be held?
Most likely it will either be the War Memorial Coliseum in Fort Wayne or Ford Center in Evansville. Per some conversations a couple others have expressed interest, but it sounded like they were not likely to be a choice.

Why not move it to another date?
Per Robert Faulkens, wrestling is smack dab in the middle of championship season and would create issues with having IHSAA support staff at two state events on one weekend. Also(not per Faulkens) many of the IHSAA brass LOVE the wrestling state finals and everyone wants to attend. It honestly is one of the best IHSAA events they put on.

Why not have it at Lucas Oil Stadium?
It is being used for All-Star festivities.

Why not at Indiana or Purdue?
Big Ten schedules are all but set in stone and released in the fall, so thus it would be a late scramble to organize if one or the other could not host.

Why not at Ball State, Indiana State, etc?
Three likely reasons

1. They have not "thrown their hat in the ring"
2. They are likely not big enough
3. They also have schedule issues

Why not have it at the Farmers Coliseum?
Too small

When will the announcement be made?

From my interactions at the bracket reveal show they had a venue that was likely the choice, but are working on things such as contracts, deposits and all the fun stuff that goes with renting a facility. I am guessing they were in the last stages of negotiation with the facility to get the best experience they could get. They were talking as if it would be a couple weeks away from an official announcement.

The Crescent City!!!

Wooooo!!!!

It's been in Evansville for several years now, so just let's make it official!!!

Bally's will be OFF THE CHAIN

Franklin St will crawling w/ rasslers

HillSide better order extra brains, some of you all need'em

The Ford Center 2 weeks in a row?!?!?!?!!? LFG!!!!!!!! 

3 hours ago, TripleB said:

The Crescent City!!!

Wooooo!!!!

It's been in Evansville for several years now, so just let's make it official!!!

Bally's will be OFF THE CHAIN

Franklin St will crawling w/ rasslers

HillSide better order extra brains, some of you all need'em

The Ford Center 2 weeks in a row?!?!?!?!!? LFG!!!!!!!! 

Get it right....It's Hilltop!

It cannot be held anywhere near Indianapolis, the billionaire NBA owners will have most every room locked up and you will end up staying in Anderson, Shelbyville, or such.

Ball state cannot fit 4 mats on the floor without removing seats, and then you run into seating issues. 

Ft Wayne the hockey team was trying to force the IHSAA to buy out their home game and refused to move it, so if you were hoping for that location, you know where to express your displeasure the hockey team thought they had the IHSAA over a barrel and was trying to force a huge payday for themselves at the expense of the wrestling fans. 

That leaves the Ford center, they have the parking, and assured the IHSAA that they have the requisite number of hotel rooms, with plenty of places to eat near the arena for the breaks.

I just hope that they block out rooms for the workers who are

helping with this event.

And there is no chance of them moving it back a week and displacing the girls state finals. It would not be fair to the girls, and do you want to be the one who goes on record as moving a girls event in favor of a boys event?

Edited by Trinedad

1 hour ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

True....I consider anything south of Wells County Kentucky.

Y'all come on down and we'll show you a real fine time! Don't forget to try the brain sandwich, possum pie, and deer salami! After the finals we'l take you cow tippin', snipe huntin' and pig rasslin! It'll be a hoot!

As one of the managers of the FW Semi State the word I was told that the Coliseum was more than willing to host the State Finals, nothing was mentioned about a “ransom.” The Coliseum seats more than Robert’s and more of the state is in shorter distance than those that would have to drive to Evansville. That being said, the distance required would cause schools to have lodging for three nights and past experience would indicate the IHSAA would not provide that much reimbursement. Just another perspective 

29 minutes ago, Ahawkeye said:

Y'all come on down and we'll show you a real fine time! Don't forget to try the brain sandwich, possum pie, and deer salami! After the finals we'l take you cow tippin', snipe huntin' and pig rasslin! It'll be a hoot!

Believe it our not I was taken on a snipe hunt in Seymour, IN once.  I really thought it was some kind of fox.  Of course I was six, and I thought Dr. J was Jesus, and my dad could teleport.

2 hours ago, Trinedad said:

It cannot be held anywhere near Indianapolis, the billionaire NBA owners will have most every room locked up and you will end up staying in Anderson, Shelbyville, or such.

Ball state cannot fit 4 mats on the floor without removing seats, and then you run into seating issues. 

Ft Wayne the hockey team was trying to force the IHSAA to buy out their home game and refused to move it, so if you were hoping for that location, you know where to express your displeasure the hockey team thought they had the IHSAA over a barrel and was trying to force a huge payday for themselves at the expense of the wrestling fans. 

That leaves the Ford center, they have the parking, and assured the IHSAA that they have the requisite number of hotel rooms, with plenty of places to eat near the arena for the breaks.

I just hope that they block out rooms for the workers who are helping with this event.

On 2/17/2023 at 11:12 PM, navy80 said:

Evansville sweeps New Castle at 113 and sweeps East Chicago at 195.

They nearly swept 126 but Bradley somehow came out on top of Stephens in a a great 6-5 match. 

They nearly swept 132 with Justice Thornton losing a close one to one seed Easton Doster 6-4.

1 hour ago, Coach Humble said:

As one of the managers of the FW Semi State the word I was told that the Coliseum was more than willing to host the State Finals, nothing was mentioned about a “ransom.” The Coliseum seats more than Robert’s and more of the state is in shorter distance than those that would have to drive to Evansville. That being said, the distance required would cause schools to have lodging for three nights and past experience would indicate the IHSAA would not provide that much reimbursement. Just another perspective 

23 minutes ago, Bulldog89 said:

Word from our AD is the Coliseum is willing to move the Hockey game, no ransom involved. 

With 3000 more seats , that is $17 a ticker per session with 3 sessions= $153,000 just in ticket sales!!  That is a lot of $$$$ to turn away.

Tell'em Dave!

2 hours ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

True....I consider anything south of Wells County Kentucky.

Lol. I like the Jay County people involved in wrestling and others. I have to be careful because I work in Adams, Wells, and Jay Counties. Yes, we have a name for Jay County besides its actual name and refers to the state you mentioned. There are some areas in southern Adams & Wells County where the dialect changes if you know what I mean. Definitely anything south of Indy is referred to as Northern Kentucky up here 😜.