2024 Finals Location

awill0352

Best case scenario would have been Hinkle Fieldhouse.  The central location and seating are there, although based on prior attendance it would be a tight fit. 

Balls States Worthen arena is already used for Gymnastics and Volleyball most years. It slightly away from the center of the state but has enough seating.  Pretty much the same story with Purdue’s Mackey Arena.   

I honestly don’t want it squeezed into a HS gym that’s not accommodation to fans and atmosphere wise a big disservice to the wrestlers who qualify.  

I just wish the IHSAA was proactive with trying to work with the colleges on this at the end of last season when there was plenty of time to adjust things.  I fear if they haven’t locked anything in by now many of the somewhat centrally located colleges would have already had scheduled set for next years boys/girls basketballs season and little ability to shift dates. 

Edited by MattM

1 hour ago, tonyzirkle said:

New Castle High School did a great job with the 1985 state finals. The Chariots of Fire music they played during the parade remains my most inspiring moment of the finals to this day. Has the state finals wrestling fan base grown too big for New Castle? 

Per Robert Faulkens it will be at Fort Wayne or Evansville. 

With Ft Wayne and Evansville you have the same thing.    Close for one half of the state.   Extremely far for the other half.   I know the Ford Center very well.   Extremely nice arena with modern amenities.  Seats around 10k.  What does Ft Wayne have for an arena? 

Ohhh man I lost track of this conversation just figuring it would have zero chance to go to Evansville. This would be heaven on earth! Please God let it be Evansville! I mean come on stranger things have happened, the Cubs won a WS and come to find out Democrats are just as crooked as Republican's, who would have thought? It's time for Evansville to host the 2024 IHSAA Wrestling State Championships!

Edited by Ahawkeye

8 hours ago, awill0352 said:

With Ft Wayne and Evansville you have the same thing.    Close for one half of the state.   Extremely far for the other half.   I know the Ford Center very well.   Extremely nice arena with modern amenities.  Seats around 10k.  What does Ft Wayne have for an arena? 

Look like the Coliseum can hold upto 13,000

Has any consideration been given to shortening the series a week by combining sectionals and regionals into the same week? You could hold the “super regional” on Friday and Saturday with full wrestle backs to get a true top 4. By doing this you could possibly still get into the field house a week earlier without NBA conflict and have a foot in the door towards wrestle backs. 

Edited by tangarrray

18 minutes ago, tangarrray said:

Has any consideration been given to shortening the series a week by combining sectionals and regionals into the same week? You could hold the “super regional” on Friday and Saturday with full wrestle backs to get a true top 4. By doing this you could possibly still get into the field house a week earlier without NBA conflict and have a foot in the door towards wrestle backs. 

88E2355E-BC56-437C-86A2-74965ECB2163.jpeg

23 minutes ago, tangarrray said:

You could even move the season forward or back a week, but that gets shot down immediately every time and I’m not sure why. 

Interesting article.  So Neiding from the IHSAA says, Gainbridge is home for basketball and that's where they want to be. But, for Wrestling, people are just going to have to travel for a year.  WOW, right there in "print". IHSAA doesn't give 2 you know whats about Wrestling. Par for the course...

As much as I would love it to be in Evansville it really does need to be in Indy at Gainbridge. Evansville would do a great job but it's not really fair to the far northern wrestlers to come all the way down here and the same for the southernmost wrestlers to travel all the way to Ft. Wayne.