Greatest Rivalries

blueandgold

What are some noteworthy rivalries that have taken place over the course of the years that consistently put on great matches each time it happened or had an undeniable storyline and explosive match to go with it?

A few off of the top of my head:

• Asa Garcia vs. Alec Viduya
  • Brendan Black vs. Jeremiah Reitz
  • Brendan Black vs. Kris Rumph
  • Breyden Bailey vs. Cornelious Elliott
  • Chad Red vs. Nick Lee
  • Cody LeCount vs. Tommy Forte
  • D.J. Brookbank vs. Zach Melloh
  • Deondre Wilson vs. Brandon James
  • Donte Winfield vs. Wesley Bernard
  • Dylan Lydy vs. Jacob Stevenson
  • Joe Lee vs. Austin Bethel
  • Joe Lee vs. Brandon James
  • Joe Lee vs. Jared Timberman
  • Jordan Slivka vs. Donnell Washington
  • Josh Farrell vs. Vinny Corsaro
  • Matthew Koontz vs. JaJuan Anderson
  • Norman Oglesby vs. Guy Henson
  • Skylour Turner vs. Alec White
  • Trent Pruitt vs. Brett Johnson
  • Ty Mills vs. Asa Garcia vs. Cayden Rooks
Edited by blueandgold

Wright vs Eppert has got to be one of the biggest HS career long ones. Multiple years of battling from sectionals all the way to the state finals.  Including one of the most controversial sectional seeding meetings in existence.  

The one year Kleinhenz and VanDeveter faced each other like 8 time including the state-finals accounting for I think all Kleinhenz loses was crazy.   I think there was another similar story like this with another group of big men facing each other a ton in one year.  

Edited by MattM

20 minutes ago, MattM said:

Wright vs Eppert has got to be one of the biggest HS career long ones. Multiple years of battling from sectionals all the way to the state finals.  Including one of the most controversial sectional seeding meetings in existence.  

The one year Kleinhenz and VanDeveter faced each other like 8 time including the state-finals accounting for I think all Kleinhenz loses was crazy.   I think there was another similar story like this with another group of big men facing each other a ton in one year.  

Wright vs Eppert gets my vote. What happened at the seeding meeting?

Eppert vs Wright definitely one of my favs and have posted about it before.  

But, they were never in the same sectional.  Not sure what the  sectional seeding meeting controversy is about, but am curious.

Edited by RAJR
sp

1 hour ago, RAJR said:

Eppert vs Weight definitely bone of my favs and have posted about it before.  

But, they were never in the same sectional.  Not sure what the  sectional seeding meeting controversy is about, but am curious.

Sorry I misspoke.  The sectional issue was someone jumping over Wright and Kieffer for the top seed.  technically it fit based on the interpretation of the criteria used then,but didn’t compute if you used the IHSAA guidelines which asks coaches to use seeding to create the best bracket (paraphrased the last part since I don’t have the wording from then in front of me).  I think since there was no common opponents criteria came down to giving the seed to the returning sectional runner-up at the same weight who had a few loses over the returning state finalist from the weight class down since I think that years criteria was only based on same weight prior sectional results. Then Kieffer, who I also think placed in state the prior year, got caught in the domino effect of it all.  And common sense didn’t find a way to prevail.  

I always forget that Wright and Eppert started at regional not sectional.  Still one hell of a multi-year rivalry.  

Edited by MattM

Greg Schaefer vs Leroy Vega

1997 - Jared Williams, Ev Harrison vs Josh Hardy, Princeton.  Williams won every match up that year except under the lights

1995 - Darren Happe, Ev Central vs Andy McDonald Mater Dei.  Happe won the dual, SIAC, sectional, regional, semi state and under the lights against McDonald

Colin Poynter vs Braxton Alexander, i dont know if its a rivalry per se but they had wrestled a few times and each time they did it was always a great one, i remember Colin took out Braxton in the ticket round because Braxton hit his head and had to default out, and then friday night Colin gets a head injury , it was kind of ironic

11 minutes ago, Paycheck141 said:

Colin Poynter vs Braxton Alexander, i dont know if its a rivalry per se but they had wrestled a few times and each time they did it was always a great one, i remember Colin took out Braxton in the ticket round because Braxton hit his head and had to default out, and then friday night Colin gets a head injury , it was kind of ironic

Man I felt so bad for Poynter. He was destined to place high, then bam smacks his head off the mat in a scramble and he was done. I remember him getting up trying to wrestle and wobbling everywhere, it was sad to see.

43 minutes ago, bigballerb said:

Man I felt so bad for Poynter. He was destined to place high, then bam smacks his head off the mat in a scramble and he was done. I remember him getting up trying to wrestle and wobbling everywhere, it was sad to see.

Yeah that one was hard to watch i could see the determination to keep going but knowing that it wasn't gonna happen just made it worse

Maybe not wrestling each other all year but Schaefer vs. Vega was always a fun match to watch. The "rivalry" spilled over to college as well. A source tells me Vega messes with the MD wrestlers sometimes, the wrestlers don't know who he is, telling them he's going to kick their coach's butt in the parking lot. All in good fun now but I'll bet in their fighting shape they'd go at it anywhere they could find 10 sq. ft. of open floor space! Both threw each other to their backs in separate matches, talk aboud a roller coaster of emotions while watching those. Vega's senior year (Schaefer's junior) Vega defused Scaefer's offense with a two on one. I think in college they split 1-1 but I could be wrong on that one.

2014-160-My way of getting to name drop my program. Not the most well known but still fun to watch. Jordan Partee/Gabe Koontz. I believe it was Partee relatively close in the season. Koontz took it 5-1 in the finals at semi-state (closer than the score), then on a last second TD for 3rd at state. Initially a no call which was rightfully (painful for me to say that) overturned and given. Crowd was heavily invested from the sound of it.

Robert Rosbottom (Jeffersonville) and Steve Minton (New Albany) anyone?   Mid season dual goes to Rosbottom, Conference and Sectional to Rosbottom.   Minton wins regional setting up the ticket round match of all ticket round matches in Seymour returning state champ Rosbottom vs. returning state runner up Jankowski.   Rosbottom knocked off Jankowski, then beat Minton in the finals of Semi State and State. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.