Semi-State Upsets, Significant Matches & Everything Else

SWINfan

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

It can be argued that those :02 were the difference thay gave Brownsburg the team title.  Montgomery scored 15.5 team points.  BB won by 13.5.  Every second counts and Brownsburg proved it today.

Swin

right you are!  Brownsburg was supreme at team state and at evansville semi state...again. Bburg puts seven in the finals?  Insane.

1.  #thecounty = #brownsburgwannebes.  Everyone gets the fact that Hendricks county has great wrestling.  What Hendricks county does not get is that Brownsburg stands alone.  

2.  A GREAT day of wrestling was diminished by a smallish crowd.  What’s up with that?  A historically loaded field generated no more ticket sales than this?

3.  While 152, 170 and 220 were thrilling, the balance of the finals was a snooze fest.  The notable exceptions were Avon’s Carson Brewer and Mater Dei’s Matt Lee.  Both had a great sense of urgency and made it look like offense matters.  Well done, gentlemen.

4.  The refs were terribly inconsistent.  Returning the bottom man to the mat is clear cut—evansville rules say you can take 20-30 seconds to accomplish that.  I’m a fan of Macartney Parkinson and Nick South.  However, riding parallel on the hips for two minutes without so much as a warning is ridiculous.  

What’s going to happen at state?  Will Bburg’s depth carry them to a state title?  It’s not hard to imagine Avon or Mater Dei producing two or three state champs...it will be hard for the dogs to top that.  Cathedral will likely have challengers to MD’s horses...the Irish could prove to be the spoiler, or the winner.

stay tuned.

Conway from Floyd central has crazy potential. He really impressed me. Brewer from Avon is the real deal, nobody can touch him. The Howell kid at 220 looks like a kid among men but has no fear, he’s trying to toss whoever he’s facing. Maybe not the most skilled but for a sophomore at 220 the kid is fearless. Bellamy from Edgewood has a great single leg and was not really tested until he met the beast Brewer.  A lot of good wrestling at Evansville, glad I made the drive.  

And I agree that the officiating was crazy all day. I don’t volunteer to ref soo take it with a grain of salt, but I did see the south vs mater dei kid.  I did not understand the lack of stalling call either. 1st period backed up for 2 minutes, 2 Nd period rode hips for 2 mins.  Seemed like stalling to me but refs didn’t see it that way.

22 minutes ago, Dingo Brigade said:

Silas Allred was dominant at New Castle. He's an excellent athlete and all that, but he is so slick and technically advanced. It's hard to believe he's a junior 

Also hard to believe is that he is a very young junior. He is a young 16 and I believe he will graduate as a 17 year old next year. 2 years ago as a 14 year old freshmen He was beating ranked 18 year old ranked wrestlers at 170. Very special talent. 

3 hours ago, 1prouddad said:

We were all stuck bud. They were having technical difficulties and there was about a 10 minute pause of silence till the crowd went nuts and called “Stalling” on the ones running the show. The PA then came across and gave the announcement to inform what he called “the smartest fans” of what was happening. Lol

Loved it when they brought out a pen and paper to keep score on. 

5 hours ago, Trinedad said:

As the clock official that worked this match, I would be curious what your opinion was. I know it was close, but in my mind it was called after the buzzer. I felt horrible for the kid, but I felt I made the right call. I will take whatever comments come as a result of this. 

As an fan today watching near the mat, I thought it was handled poorly. The officials consulted, main official said remove ankle bands and raised Bynums arm in victory. Then a second consult where you must have interjected and it was overturned

9 hours ago, hook and half said:

Swin

right you are!  Brownsburg was supreme at team state and at evansville semi state...again. Bburg puts seven in the finals?  Insane.

1.  #thecounty = #brownsburgwannebes.  Everyone gets the fact that Hendricks county has great wrestling.  What Hendricks county does not get is that Brownsburg stands alone.  

What you meant to say is #TheCounty has Great wrestling . I agree 100% Thank You !

Let me correct what you meant to say

What ***Indiana*** DOES NOT get .... hate to break the news to you .... the Thousands or Millions ...... of Wrestling People fans . #TheCounty Stands Alone.

Picture me shouting like Penn St. Fan does  “WE ARE ONE COMMUNITY” . Not sure Hook and Half or others understands that. Must be from the old school and thinks is 1 school egos is better than everyone else. Must not go into these #TheCounty Academies in the off season and see 90 of kids putting in 365/24/7, Blood, Sweat, Tears, getting better “Together” ! .... STOP ..... @hook and half you don’t believe me do you? Ask anyone that goes to these schools, Coaches, Wrestlers. and ask them who/what makes you better ? Go ahead ask Coach Synder, Coach Errett, Coach Smiley, Coach Hutchinson, and others You think they are bring in kids Novices, no experience ... I’d say 75% of the kids have been training in Academies for at least a Decade. They put in their time “together” 

If you was apart of that you know what I’m talking about. So before you throw out my beloved Community name . Just think about it that . #weareBrownsburg #weareAvon  #wearePlainfield #weareCascade #weareDanville #weareTriWest #TheCounty #weareone 

The Notorious 

Go ahead and attack me now with this 1 school *explicit language* 😂

Edited by TeamGarcia
Spell check , dumb iPhone

1 hour ago, TeamGarcia said:

What you meant to say is #TheCounty has Great wrestling . I agree 100% Thank You !

What ***Indiana*** DOES NOT get .... hate to break the news to you .... the Thousands or Millions ...... of Wrestling People fans . #TheCounty Stands Alone.

Picture me shouting like Penn St. Fan does  “WE ARE ONE COMMUNITY” . Not sure Hook and Half or others understands that. Must be from the old school and thinks is 1 school egos is better than everyone else. Must not go into these #TheCounty Academies in the off season and see 90 of kids putting in 365/24/7, Blood, Sweat, Tears, getting better “Together” ! .... STOP ..... @hook and half you don’t believe me do you? Ask anyone that goes to these schools, Coaches, Wrestlers. and ask them who/what makes you better ? Go ahead ask Coach Synder, Coach Errett, Coach Smiley, Coach Hutchinson, and others You think they are bring in kids Novices, no experience ... I’d say 75% of the kids have been training in Academies for at least a Decade. They put in their time “together” 

If you was apart of that you know what I’m talking about. So before you throw out my beloved Community name . Just think about it that . #weareBrownsburg #weareAvon  #wearePlainfield #weareCascade #weareDanville #weareTriWest #TheCounty #weareone 

The Notorious 

Word on the street is that Brownsburg’s Heavyweight Keys (Semi-State Champion) is a first year wrestler.... some are “novices”! That being said..... I don’t think he’d be where he is at any other program besides Brownsburg 😉

21 minutes ago, pirate said:

Word on the street is that Brownsburg’s Heavyweight Keys (Semi-State Champion) is a first year wrestler.... some are “novices”! That being said..... I don’t think he’d be where he is at any other program besides Brownsburg 😉

Raw.. but not a first year wrestler. He wrestled some st Ben Davis before. Kid is fun to watch. 

Again, congrats to Brownsburg for winning. 

9 hours ago, Cooper160 said:

And I agree that the officiating was crazy all day. I don’t volunteer to ref soo take it with a grain of salt, but I did see the south vs mater dei kid.  I did not understand the lack of stalling call either. 1st period backed up for 2 minutes, 2 Nd period rode hips for 2 mins.  Seemed like stalling to me but refs didn’t see it that way.

The referees set the tone of the matches with their calls or no calls .. The EMD kid did nothing on bottom but received 0 stalling calls as well   As great of a semistate that Evansville is , every team knows they are at a disadvantage when wrestling EMD in the Ford area .. This time they didn’t get the call they were looking for , bottom guy needs to work up, Don’t leave the matches in the referee’s hands wanting penalty calls ..

I think both kids wrestled hard and I was impressed on the depth of the170 weight class ... The top three kids from the Evansville semistate at 170 will be a tough test for the rest of the state.. 

1 hour ago, pirate said:

Kid a athlete, kudos to Coach Synder bring in a talented football/wrestler in Mr. Keys. His training partner at 220 (Semi State Champ is a Academy kid. Must be rubbing off 🤐 🤷🏽‍♂️

The Notorious

Being a newbie at this wrestling stuff, I have a question & statement. In Evansville quite a few officials seemed to have "issues" getting down on the mat to see if a wrestlers shoulders were down. Should I expect this at state too?

Edited by IMrule

4 hours ago, TeamGarcia said:

The Notorious 

Fact check:

1.  i meant what i said:  Hendricks county has great wrestling.  Sticking a hashtag in front of a phrase does not change the conventions of the English language.

2.  There are not "millions" of Indiana high school wrestling fans.

3.  Penn State fans do not shout "We are one community".  Their chant is "We are Penn State".  I defy you to show one instance where a Penn State Kid has given the Iowa, Minnesota or Ohio State coaches or athletes "credit" for their success.  Pretty much all of the Big Ten contenders hate Penn State; the feeling is mutual.  Take a look at Penn State's wrestling forum to test this assertion.  Furthermore, i have never heard a "We are one community" chant at any Indiana high school wrestling meet.  

4.  Hendricks county kids train 365/24/7?  They do not sleep?  How do they maintain their academics if they do not go to school?  I thought human beings died after five days of sleep deprivation.

5.  Pretty much everyone "gets" that Contenders is an outstanding club.  Outside of #thecounty drum-beaters, everyone "gets" that Maurer-Coughlin wrestling club and Region Wrestling Academy makes their kids better.

6.  It is interesting to watch KT Nelson.  He has clearly moved to the next level...at Brownsburg.  Dorian Keys is a first-year wrestler?  Is that true?  if so, i'm sure that is a result of #thecounty, as opposed to wrestling for Brownsburg.  This year, i saw Brownsburg shock everyone and win the team duals and a month later, put seven in the finals at semi state.  If i lived in Hendricks county--based on results--i would want my kids at the Contenders club and a student at Brownsburg.

On the other hand, I could be wrong.  I fully expect Asa to win his third title next weekend.  It's not hard to imagine Avon getting three champs.  If forced to bet, i would put my money on the Orioles to win their first title.  Let's give this "We are one community" some legs:

1.  All Avon kids should scrap any apparel branded with "Avon".  That would extinguish this "1 schools ego" thing that you mention.  I suggest that the singlets are emblazoned across the chest with #thecounty and the back will state #weareonecommunity.

2.  During their post-match interviews, the Avon champs should not mention their "Avon" coaches or team mates, but should give credit to Derrick Snyder, Contenders and the kids from the land of the hashtag.

3.  Should Avon get grand prize, the trophy should reside at the Contenders club.

4.  Finally, and crucially, the IHSAA will NOT recognize Avon as the State Champion.  The championship clearly belongs to the "One Community" and should be so noted in the record books.  Avon's administration should refuse the trophy unless it is presented to #thecounty.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.