Semi-State Upsets, Significant Matches & Everything Else

SWINfan

9 minutes ago, grappleapple said:

My vote for most dominating performance goes to Silas Allred. He pinned everyone, with the longest match going about a minute and a half. Wow

Brewer from Avon deserves some mention...dominating day for him.  And Asa being Asa.

As well as Aiken who 1st period pinned his way to the finals then defeated the #1 dude in the semi-state.

Hashtag TheCounty Biz*&#!  🙂

Edited by Kookie953

9 hours ago, 1prouddad said:

Casebolt vs Montgomery match. Casebolt with a late takedown with :20 to take the lead then gives up reversal with :02 left. Showed little class afterwards as well. 

It can be argued that those :02 were the difference thay gave Brownsburg the team title.  Montgomery scored 15.5 team points.  BB won by 13.5.  Every second counts and Brownsburg proved it today.

24 minutes ago, Kookie953 said:

Brewer from Avon deserves some mention...dominating day for him.  And Asa being Asa.

As well as Aiken who 1st period pinned his way to the finals then defeated the #1 dude in the semi-state.

Hashtag TheCounty Biz*&#!  🙂

#TheCounty is Free !

2.5 years in Indianamat Pit of Misery 

8 hours ago, grappleapple said:

Krummen of East Central was down 15-6 to Tremor Bynum of Pendleton. They actually called a pin for Bynum at the end of the second period but then it was determined the pin came after the buzzer. Krummen ends up pinning Bynum in the third.

As the clock official that worked this match, I would be curious what your opinion was. I know it was close, but in my mind it was called after the buzzer. I felt horrible for the kid, but I felt I made the right call. I will take whatever comments come as a result of this. 

17 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

It can be argued that those :02 were the difference thay gave Brownsburg the team title.  Montgomery scored 15.5 team points.  BB won by 13.5.  Every second counts and Brownsburg proved it today.

Or you could argue the fact that collectively as a team they were solid. They posted 15 matches today with bonus points. 

4 minutes ago, Trinedad said:

As the clock official that worked this match, I would be curious what your opinion was. I know it was close, but in my mind it was called after the buzzer. I felt horrible for the kid, but I felt I made the right call. I will take whatever comments come as a result of this. 

If you genuinely felt you made the right call, then why worry about it? There’s going to be those that are gonna argue the fact, but ultimately you made the call you think was correct. 

8 minutes ago, Trinedad said:

I have no dog in the fight, that being said, I was standing behind the table during that match and I thought you made the right call. The fall came just after the buzzer.

4 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

If you genuinely felt you made the right call, then why worry about it? There’s going to be those that are gonna argue the fact, but ultimately you made the call you think was correct. 

I hate being involved like that. I realize that it is part of the job, and I will never shy away from making what I think is the right call. That being said, it is always nice to find out what others thought, and I have thick skin, I will take whatever they have to say. 

11 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Or you could argue the fact that collectively as a team they were solid. They posted 15 matches today with bonus points. 

Why would I need to argue that?   It's obvious and nothing I posted takes away from that.  It's just math, not personal.

11 minutes ago, LionsFan said:

I have no dog in the fight, that being said, I was standing behind the table during that match and I thought you made the right call. The fall came just after the buzzer.

I also want to point out that not a single thing was ever said by the Pendleton coaches, we each spoke after this on other topics. I want to express how much of a class program they have. 

25 minutes ago, Trinedad said:

I wasn't paying enough attention to have an opinion. Coach Cloud didn't seem to object so it sounds like the right call was made. 

20 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Why would I need to argue that?   It's obvious and nothing I posted takes away from that.  It's just math, not personal.

Not looking for an argument. Was just paraphrasing what you said.  Nothing personal here as I was impressed by their team once again. You gonna be at State?

12 minutes ago, grappleapple said:

I wasn't paying enough attention to have an opinion. Coach Cloud didn't seem to object so it sounds like the right call was made. 

I was right next to the mat but wasn't watching when the pin was called. But if the other team's coaches weren't going berserk after the call, it was probably a good one.

3 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Can anyone from Evansville give an update?  Track has been stuck in the same place for several minutes.  Showing :07 left in the 1st period of the Title Match, and the 3rd Place match not started

We were all stuck bud. They were having technical difficulties and there was about a 10 minute pause of silence till the crowd went nuts and called “Stalling” on the ones running the show. The PA then came across and gave the announcement to inform what he called “the smartest fans” of what was happening. Lol

1 minute ago, grappleapple said:

I know Coach Cloud disagreed, but, at the same time, he also respects the officials’ decision.  He is way too classy of a man to make a scene, no matter how gut wrenching the results may be.

I too disagreed but I realize my opinion could be based on a biased fan’s hoping as much as thinking.  Ha ha

One thing, though, a pin occurs when the ref sees the pin, not when his hand hits the mat as there can be some delay there.  So even if the scorekeeper heard the buzzer before he saw the ref’s hand hit the mat doesn’t necessarily mean the pin didn’t come first.  It would have been good if they had someone tap the ref when time ran out like they do in a lot of matches.

But the bottom line, I assume, is the ref wasn’t sure and so consulted the table and the disinterested scorekeeper made the decision that he thought was right.  I don’t think he needs to feel bad about it as officials can only make calls as they see them.

Tough break for Tremor though.

3 hours ago, MattM said:

At this point you can’t really say clearly with Watts winning 8-5.  But it’s what most people were expecting to see in the finals. 

I feel pretty confident in how it was worded. Watts clearly deserves a better draw based on the results of today. 

There were a few guys I whiffed on in the Eville SS rankings that I was impressed with today: 1. Trey Mucker-Tell City- At one point had him on my watch list. Kid absolutely brought it today and has a huge upside. 2. Josh Howell- Terre Haute South- Had him at #7, but should have been higher after seeing his composure and deceptive ability. Has the "baby face" effect that seems to work for him. 3. KT Nelson-Brownsburg-Before all of the hate comes in, I knew he was top tier, but I attempted to be impartial and go off of commons and big wins/losses. #6 Felt too low but that's what I had to go off of.

Awesome day of wrestling and can't wait for next weekend.

20 minutes ago, piscis1956 said:

I know Coach Cloud disagreed, but, at the same time, he also respects the officials’ decision.  He is way too classy of a man to make a scene, no matter how gut wrenching the results may be.

I too disagreed but I realize my opinion could be based on a biased fan’s hoping as much as thinking.  Ha ha

One thing, though, a pin occurs when the ref sees the pin, not when his hand hits the mat as there can be some delay there.  So even if the scorekeeper heard the buzzer before he saw the ref’s hand hit the mat doesn’t necessarily mean the pin didn’t come first.  It would have been good if they had someone tap the ref when time ran out like they do in a lot of matches.

But the bottom line, I assume, is the ref wasn’t sure and so consulted the table and the disinterested scorekeeper made the decision that he thought was right.  I don’t think he needs to feel bad about it as officials can only make calls as they see them.

Tough break for Tremor though.

I appreciate your opinion, and Coach Cloud is way to classy to ever say anything, and I am sure next weekend when we meet it will be as if nothing happened. That is exactly what I expect and know he will be like. I will tell you that I did not listen for the sound, but rather the man operating the visible score and clock was counting down from 5 because we knew it was going to be close. I looked instead for the official to start the signal for a fall. I did not see it, but I also realize that if you asked 100 people that call may be a 50/50 split. 

4 minutes ago, Grenadier2012 said:

There were a few guys I whiffed on in the Eville SS rankings that I was impressed with today: 1. Trey Mucker-Tell City- At one point had him on my watch list. Kid absolutely brought it today and has a huge upside. 2. Josh Howell- Terre Haute South- Had him at #7, but should have been higher after seeing his composure and deceptive ability. Has the "baby face" effect that seems to work for him. 3. KT Nelson-Brownsburg-Before all of the hate comes in, I knew he was top tier, but I attempted to be impartial and go off of commons and big wins/losses. #6 Felt too low but that's what I had to go off of.

Awesome day of wrestling and can't wait for next weekend.

I would add JJ Conway of Floyd Central  to that list. I was very impressed with the freshman. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.