Biggest Friday night upset ever

From 2001:

Curt Schleibaum, Seymour def. Rickie Elkins, Portage, won by fall, 3:19.

I believe Elkins was up a couple of points before getting put on his back in the pinning sequence. Elkins was Nationally ranked and a returning runner-up from the previous season... One week later, at team state, he beat the State Champ Allen Weinzapfel 8-3

I always put him in the discussion for the annual "Best to never win state" topic

Ryan Jankowski from SBSJ was 46-1 Semi-State champ in I believe 2014 he had defeated the champ from that year at 182 Damian Chambers (Edgewood) the year prior but lost Friday night to someone from Southridge or Southport pretty big upset in my opinion.

Edited by Paycheck141

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Andrew Davison is the biggest one I can think of. Can't imagine there's too many nationally ranked guys losing on Friday night. 

Yes, Spencer Irick of HSE beating Andrew Davison (#1 in state and nationally ranked) was for sure the biggest one in recent history. Irick went on to place 3rd after getting 4th at Semi-State. Caught fire at the right time.

2 hours ago, Coach Brobst said:

Yes, Spencer Irick of HSE beating Andrew Davison (#1 in state and nationally ranked) was for sure the biggest one in recent history. Irick went on to place 3rd after getting 4th at Semi-State. Caught fire at the right time.

Davison was #2 that year behind Blake Rypel (State #1 and National #2). That was the headline match of that weight class, but many were upset because they ended up in the same half bracket and would’ve been a semifinal match and not a finals match had Davison won.

6 hours ago, NavyGonzo said:

From 2001:

Curt Schleibaum, Seymour def. Rickie Elkins, Portage, won by fall, 3:19.

I believe Elkins was up a couple of points before getting put on his back in the pinning sequence. Elkins was Nationally ranked and a returning runner-up from the previous season... One week later, at team state, he beat the State Champ Allen Weinzapfel 8-3

I always put him in the discussion for the annual "Best to never win state" topic

Come on man you stole my thunder.  Elkins built a lead on being better on his feet in the 1st period (maybe 4-1), but then ended up with choice and  picked down.  Someone forgot to tell him that’s not the best decision to make vs. a nasty pinner in Schleibaum.  The cross face cradle was his go to but when that didn’t present itself Curt hammer locked him and got a tight turn.  The moment Elkins, who was already battling some back stiffness, choose down I turned and said that decision is going to cost him this match. 

Edited by MattM

45 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

Davison was #2 that year behind Blake Rypel (State #1 and National #2). That was the headline match of that weight class, but many were upset because they ended up in the same half bracket and would’ve been a semifinal match and not a finals match had Davison won.

That’s right! Forgot about that.

Rypel was so good that year.

8 hours ago, QuinnHarris said:

Jake Sinkovicks up 14 and ranked #2 in the state at the time got headlocked and pinned by Mater Dei

Just went back to look, hoping to see if video was available on TW.  It's not.  But, the scoring is there and you were really close (close enough not to change your greater point).  Sink was up 12-1 and 14-4 in the 3rd period before Alex Johnson got a reversal and then the fall with :11 left.  I remember it was crazy!

Of course, Johnson finished 6th and then was "rewarded" the next year by injury defaulting to 4th at SS and then drawing Chad Red after Bracket-gate on Friday night. Johnson had one loss in his Senior year going into SS.