Scariest Performance at State

Thinking of some of the scariest performances at State that made you just say, “Holy $@~!, he is GOOD.” 

First one off the top of my head, Alex Cottey of Perry Meridian in the 2020 State semifinals, he went up 11-0 on Lane Gilbert in 30 seconds before he pinned him. That was easily one of the most dominant performances I’ve ever seen downtown.

52 minutes ago, bigballerb said:

Joe Lee sticking Brandon James and Wes Bernard putting Shawn Streck away in like a minute in the semis.

I was heartbroken for B after that match, and Wesley hit the meanest arm drag to a double leg to a half in the semis against Streck. To this day, no heavyweight has topped that move since.

Bridgeforth Warren Central vs Elbert Starks Snider 1984. I wasn't there but my Uncle was in the finals at 98lbs so we watched that tape like 1000 times.  There were lat drops from both guys, cradles, blast doubles.  The athleticism displayed in that match is still unmatched in my eyes. I was a point guard as a freshman.  After watching that tape I quit basketball.

Edited by GenHeavyHandz

Andrew Howe was next level good, lost his freshman year under the lights to Reece Humphrey. Then beat a returning champ the next year in Walpole. He probably score more points combined then anyone in the state finals history. A lot of 20 pointers 

Win vs. Terrell Grizzle( Ben Davis) TF 19-4-5:30 (Edit) 
Win vs. Collin Carlucci( Plainfield) TF 18-3-4:00 (Edit) 
Win vs. Nick Walpole( Perry Meridian) OT 4-2 (Edit) 
Win vs. Cory Fornal( Rochester) Dec 6-2(Edit) 
Win vs. Charles Bennett( Anderson Highland) TF 23-6-5:31 (Edit) 
Win vs. Chris DeWitt( Evansville Mater Dei) TF 20-5-5:25 (Edit) 
Win vs. Briar Runyan( Martinsville) TF 22-7-4:27 (Edit) 
Win vs. Chris Dean( Northview) TF 26-9-6:00 (Edit) 
Win vs. Tyler Alvey( Floyd Central) TF 25-10-5:38 (Edit) 
Win vs. R.V. Peter( Westfield) Fall 1:36(Edit) 
Win vs. Braden Atwood( Delphi) TF 23-5-4:47 (Edit) 
Win vs. Michael Duckworth( Union County) Maj Dec 22-9 (Edit) 

Hard to omit Lance Ellis from this discussion. His senior year run with the lateral for the fall to secure his 4th title was as badass as anything I've ever seen. I don't know this, but I would gamble that he had more falls than anyone in state finals history..

8 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

Hard to omit Lance Ellis from this discussion. His senior year run with the lateral for the fall to secure his 4th title was as badass as anything I've ever seen. I don't know this, but I would gamble that he had more falls than anyone in state finals history..

Still one of my favorite moments I tell the kiddos about.

8 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

Lance Ellis with his lateral/whip over (and cradles) is the correct answer in my book. If anyone has ever mastered their timing better on their throws, I haven’t seen it. 

4:22 and 6:08 show his laterals

Edited by tonyzirkle

For me the answer is simple.  Unless you are old like me, people don't get the context of Lance Ellis' four year run.  Before Lance showed up, there had not been anyone in decades who pretty much destroyed people like he did...except for maybe David Palmer from Muncie...  Anyway, also note we didnt have the interwebs to see all the four timers from other states.  It was a much smaller world then where we would have probably never heard of the elite kids from other states.  Four timers were almost mythological.  Consequently, his dominance was so much fun to watch.

Edited by matts

Cathedral's 2019 State Title run as a team was pretty magical, so I will tell the story from a Cathedral fan's point of view.

Coming into state with only 5 guys (Zeke Seltzer, Lukasz Walendzak, Alex Mosconi, Elliott Rodgers, and Jordan Slivka) it was an uphill battle from the beginning to defend our 2018 state title! 

As a result, the Irish came to wrestle with us placing all 5 wrestlers and putting 4 guys in the finals (including two champs). However that was not the only thing that made this run so phenomenal, as it was the manner in which we did it. To get the fun started, on Friday Night we saw Elliott Rodgers defeat Nathan Conley via a last second takedown that ultimately decided who won the state!

Upon returning on Saturday, we knew that we needed to not only put at least 4 guys in the finals, but also pick up some bonus along the way to win as a team, and we did just that with both Jordan Slivka and Alex Mosconi picking up a fall in the semis and heading into the finals we held a narrow lead to an Avon team that was on fire. However, in the finals is when the real magic happened. 

Following Zeke Seltzer's narrow defeat to Jacob Moran at 113 and Asa Garcia's 3rd state title at 132 - as well as knowing that Avon's Carson Brewer was almost a lock to win at 182 - heading into the 145lb weight class we knew that in order to win as a team, one of our remaining three wrestlers needed to win state, which was a daunting task considering that all three of our remaining guys had lost to their opponent earlier in the season. 

Consequently, after a 145lb match that saw Alex Mosconi lose to a nationally ranked Matt Lee, Irish fans were now on the edge of their seats as all that we had left to try and win the state title as a team was Elliott Rodgers vs. Cooper Noehre - where Rodgers had lost to Noehre the week before in Semi-State - and Jordan Slivka vs. the nationally ranked Donnell Washington - where Washington had beat Slivka 8-2 earlier in the season. This is when things got crazy

At 152 after a scoreless 1st period Rodgers chose down and gave up 3 back points before reversing Noehre with 30 seconds left to make the score 3-2 heading into the 3rd with Noehre on bottom. In the 3rd things started to heat up with Rodgers cutting Noehre and taking him down to tie up the match 4-4 with a little over a minute remaining, and this is when the match got really interesting. With only a minute to go to decide the state champ Noehre got an escape and a takedown to make the score 7-4 with only 50 seconds left to go, when Rodgers somehow managed to get an escape and a takedown with less than 10 seconds left to tie things up 7-7, sending the match to overtime. As if the match was not already crazy enough, Rodgers then iced the match with an Inside Trip takedown on the edge of the mat to win the match in 9-7 in OT, also somewhat securing the team state title for the Irish (Permitting that Brewer did not pick up bonus point at 182).

With state title in our grasp, the Cathedral section was on their feet but as if the night was not already crazy enough, we still had one wrestler remaining, Jordan Slivka... and his match turned out to be one of the best finals matches I have ever seen. Following being taken down twice in the 1st period and being reversed in the 2nd, Slivka was losing 6-2 going into the third period, and little did we know that we were about to witness one of the greatest 3rd period comebacks in state finals history.

At the start of the 3rd period Slivka got an escape and a takedown almost immediately to make the score 6-5 with about a minute left. Still losing, Slivka cut Washington and managed to take him down again to tie the match up at 7-7 with short time remaining. At this point Cathedral fans thought the match was headed to OT, but Slivka was not done yet.  Following an Injury time that gave Slivka choice, where he obviously chose bottom, Slivka got away to make the score 8-7 with only 40 seconds left. Finally, after a last ditch effort by Washington that saw him get taken down again the match ended, securing not only Slivka's 2nd state title, but also officially putting the team title out of reach, declaring the Irish the 2019 State Champions!

That State Finals run was undoubtedly one of the most impressive I had seen in my 10 years of attending the state finals, and I am grateful to have been a small part of it! Hope everyone enjoyed the story.  

Daniel Young (CMA) vs Gavin McGinley (Cathedral) 2009 145lbs, the match was pretty close going into the 3rd period, after a flurry McGinley catches young on his back for a 5-point swing, Young manages to get a reversal and catches him in a side cradle for the fall, I say that was a pretty impressive comeback and Young finished the season 48-0