Whose your schools most accomplished wrestler

5 hours ago, Adam_glass said:

Lake Central: Undoubtedly Kyle Ayersman. Three time state champ (2010, 2011, 2012) and took third in 2009. 193-2 overall career record and I believe a four time Al Smith finalist with three titles. 

I think one of Kyle’s losses was at Al Smith 

I think there has only been 3 4x Al smith champs 

Randy Baker Bellmont 

Tommy Forte Mishawaka 

Drew Hughes Lowell 

#TheCounty 

Avon -

3x State Champ Asa Garcia 

Brownsburg-

3x State Champ Brayton Lee 

*3x State Champ Jake Hockaday 

Cascade-

Zach Batts 6th place 

Danville - 

2x State Champ Neal Malloy 

2x State Champ Brock Hudkins 

Plainfield - 

State Champion 

Brian Smyth 

Brian Smiley 

Tri West - 

Ryan Kolb 7th Place 

* Still Active 

5 hours ago, gsmith58 said:

Gaskin's brother was very good too. It's been so long, I don't know which one it was but his battle with May was my introduction to serious wrestling.

Yes May was  a tough sob. Gaskins was the man at that time also   Little man syndrome for may. A side note. May could not break into the Bloomington south lineup his freshman year. People don’t realize the talent Bloomington south possessed at that time. Honestly it reminds me of the penn st dominance now. Everyone hated south.  I think May would have been a 4 timer easily. He trains with the iu team camps every year. 

I don't go back too far for this, at Warren Central it would be either Brandon Wright, a 4-time finalist, 2-time champ, 2-time runner up, or Danny Williams a 2-time champ and 3-time semifinalist.

Brandon earned 2 runner-up and a championship at Cathedral. 

North Side Redskins

Johnny Sewell - 1x State Champ (HWT)

Rico Talamantes- 1x State Champ (171?)

Eric Early- 1x State Champ (113?)

North Side was never known for state champs but these guys were tough.

1 hour ago, Trinedad said:

I don't go back too far for this, at Warren Central it would be either Brandon Wright, a 4-time finalist, 2-time champ, 2-time runner up, or Danny Williams a 2-time champ and 3-time semifinalist.

Brandon earned 2 runner-up and a championship at Cathedral. 

I sympathize with you   For looking back. By believe me Indiana has produced hammers. 

9 hours ago, Bag of Hammers said:

The topic is "Who's your school's most accomplished wrestler".  She's probably the most accomplished wrestler from Indiana.

Olympic Bronze Medalist

4x World Championship Medalist

I think this was asked because the OP clarified it was for high school:

image.png.97bd4096291a8250d88e0825538006b4.png

As great as she was/is, not in the conversation, IMO, if limited to HS.

Edited by RAJR

9 hours ago, jonah7474 said:

North Side Redskins

All GREAT OPTIONS! but  i think it has to be 

Gralan Early  116 - 6 

2003 1st place  

2002 4th place

2001 2nd place 

Hoosier Crossroads Conference Top Wrestlers of All Time:

Avon - Asa Garcia - 3x State Champion, 1x State 3rd

Brownsburg - Currently Tied; Jake Hockaday & Brayton Lee - 3x State Champion

Fishers - Mitch Sliga - 2x State Champion, 2x State 3rd

Franklin Central - Jake O'Brien - 3x State Champion

Hamilton Southeastern - Andrew Irick - 1x State Runner Up, 1x State 4th

Noblesville - Jason Chiado - 1x State Runner Up, 1x State 6th

- (Don't be surprised if Aidan Kincaide puts his name in this conversation)

Westfield - Carson Eldred - 1x State Runner Up, 1x State 4th, 3x State Qualifier

Zionsville - Logan Wagner - 1x State Champion, 1x State 3rd, 1x State 6th, 1x State 8th

18 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Scott Hall, AKA Razor Ramone went to my high school, he played basketball.  For real!! But he did a lot in wrestling after high school : You said accomplished wrestler!!!😉

Besides being one of the greatest heals of all time:

He won the WCW 60 man battle royal in 1997 and had these championships and accolades:😅😝🤪 

If we're going that route The Ultimate Warrior is from Crawfordsville

11 hours ago, jonah7474 said:

North Side Redskins

Gralan Early 2003 Is the GOAT from Northside, He has a 4,2 and a 1

Edited by GenHeavyHandz

17 hours ago, Coach Brobst said:

HSE has a few options:

Jack Chastain is the career wins leader and Qualified as a Sophomore, took 5th twice

Austin Holmes qualified 3 times and won 2 4th place medals his Sophomore and Junior year. He’s second all time in wins.

Matt Irick likely would have been the guy had he not been hurt his Junior year. 2 time qualifier, 5th placer.

Jake Simone was a headlock and a bad draw away from maybe being the guy: Sophomore year he’s ranked top 4 in state, Regional Champ, up 6-2 on David Pierson in ticket round, in on another single, the patented DP headlock takes him out. Junior year, wins 8th place medal, Senior year, ranked 4th, loses to Eldred of Westfield 2-1 in Regionals, Eldred takes 2nd that year to Seltzer, who you guessed it, was Simone’s ticket round match that year. Awful.

As it lays: Andrew Irick is likely the guy. 2 time medalist in his 3 years as a starter taking 4th as a Junior, runner-up his Senior year in 2020 after a Semi-state title.

Only 2 time qualifier since then has been Max Broom, who never medaled but is the career leader in falls and won more matches with only one move (cradle) than anyone I’ve ever seen.

Got a crop of 7th/8th graders that have as much if not more credentials coming in than any of those guys. Hoping for that first champ in the next few seasons

I can add some older options for HSE to your list...

Brent Farrell - qualifier and 2nd in 1996 to James Brimm

Spencer Irick - qualifier and 3rd in 2016 with memorable upset over Davison on Friday night.

Pat Robinson - 3rd in 2010 with close battles to the champ and runner up that year

Austin Neibarger - 8th and 5th in 2013, but the 8th place was for Cathedral freshman year

Thomas Pompei - 6th in 2006 and now head coach for Indiana Tech

On 2/21/2024 at 10:31 PM, brickfor6 said:

Hobart

Alex Ramos 2x Champ- Lost 1 time in 3 years

Eric Galka 2x Champ - Mental attitude 3x finalist 

Frankie Porras 2xChamp-Mental attitude  3x finalist 

Brennan Cosgrove 174 wins 1x Champ 3x finalist- top 3 all four years

HM: Brian Butler was wins leader at University of Pennsylvania 

I am not certain who I would say is the most accomplished, but having wrestled all four, Cosgrove was the best of the group. 

46 minutes ago, GrecoCoach said:

I can add some older options for HSE to your list...

Brent Farrell - qualifier and 2nd in 1996 to James Brimm

Spencer Irick - qualifier and 3rd in 2016 with memorable upset over Davison on Friday night.

Pat Robinson - 3rd in 2010 with close battles to the champ and runner up that year

Austin Neibarger - 8th and 5th in 2013, but the 8th place was for Cathedral freshman year

Thomas Pompei - 6th in 2006 and now head coach for Indiana Tech

Some great Royals for sure. I was narrowing it down to 2 time qualifiers at minimum for "most accomplished", though all of these guys have an argument for "best" wrestler in HSE history. Spencer with only 1 medal, but that huge upset definitely crossed my mind.

Hadn't realized Farrell qualified his Junior year, he'd be up there for sure. His kids were no slouches either (JD took 3rd for the Tigers and then Crew was a 4 time Regional Champion at Frankton).

P-Rob is one of my favorite dudes in the sport, NCAA Qualifier at Purdue after his late blooming Senior year for the Royals.

Neibarger was awesome. Really fun, but as you mentioned only won one medal at HSE.

Pompei may qualify as most accomplished Royal in wrestling for career totality for sure when you add in his collegiate time and his coaching as well.

I wasn't here for it, but according to Coach Rypel here who got teched by him his freshman year, John Tatom was the best 160 pounder in the state his senior year before tearing up his knee. As it is, he also placed 6th once for HSE prior to his career ending injury.

Long story short, HSE has been way too good for way too long without having a champion. Gotta get that monkey off our back in the next 5 years.

Edited by Coach Brobst

Prairie Heights, based on state medals/qualifications:

Aaron Ramey, 1st, 3rd, 97-15 record

Travis Barroquillo, 3rd, 7th, Qualifier, 187-13 record

Isiah Levitz, 4th, 6th, 153-33 record

Danny Hamm, 5th, 8th, 144-27 record

Based on career wins:

1. Travis Barroquillo 187-13
2. Jed Levitz 178-31
3. Doug Levitz 165-33
4. Riley Rasler 161-39
5. Ryan Rasler 155-34
6. Isiah Levitz 153-33
7. Danny Hamm 144-27
8. Mike Levitz 144-18
9. Joey Blakeley 138-33
10. Braxton Amos 137-29
11. Blake Hoyer 137-
12. John Levitz 133-17
13. Kyle Mockensturm 125-27
14. Taylor Grubb 125-23
15. Quinn Kurtz 121-29
16. Zeke Rowdon 120-56
17. Travis Smoker 111-29
18. Lane Waite 105-
19. Nathan Kuhn 105-29
20. Codey Shafer 104-

Edited by rookie78

23 hours ago, Adam_glass said:

Lake Central: Undoubtedly Kyle Ayersman. Three time state champ (2010, 2011, 2012) and took third in 2009. 193-2 overall career record and I believe a four time Al Smith finalist with three titles. 

He doesn't eat bacon, he is disqualified.