Black Wrestlers and Coaches

In honor of Black History Month, I’d like to know who are some Black wrestlers and coaches who’ve made an impact on this sport for you in some way whether as a fan, wrestler, or teammate? Indiana has a rich history of Black athletes and leaders in wrestling, and it’s always good to see their efforts celebrated. Share any stories or memories you have.

While i was still coaching at Hammond Gavit we had 2 State qualifiers back-to-back 2018 & 2019 Jamari Washington & Jaymiere Johnson both black wrestlers 2 of the best kids we ever coached, Jamari graduated from Wabash College and Jaymiere is attending Calumet College Of St Joes graduating this year i believe.

I'm sorry I don't know all the past coaches names, but growing up in the Region, Wrestling in the Region & Coaching in the Region and my dad being a member of the first city champ team I have always admired the passion of the Gary West Side coaches. : Kylan Taylor, Eugene Johnson and the ones before them.

In no particular order

Coach Red

CJ Red

Tim Wright

Brandon Wright

Nick Hull

Deondre Wilson

Abs Bryant

Chico Adams

Donte Winfield

Dave Pierson and kids DP and Jeivan

Gil Journey

Spence Spencer

Darren Arberry

Will Hill

Vernon Cannon

Mo Gunn

and countless others

Edited by The Professor Morgan

He is going to be unknown by most here but Coach Tillman. The man is the picture of a professional individual that truly cares about his wrestlers, the community, and well everyone. He was never my coach. The complete opposite actually. I have coached against this man many times. It does not matter if you are one of his wrestlers, a local community wrestler, or a wrestler from the other side of the country he would treat you as if you were on his team and he had known you his entire coaching career. He is also a veteran of the United States Marines. I can think of only a few people that I hold in the same regard as this man. I learned from him even as a Coach. His compassion, empathy, and wisdom are second to none. I am blessed to say he is my friend, brother in arms, and a valued member of the community that I love calling home.

I'll always mention Jim Ledbetter on Black recognition threads. Wise, caring, thoughtful father-like figure to so many wrestlers, young coaches, and young officials. One of the best coaches and one of the best officials I've ever been around.

2 minutes ago, Clint Gard said:

This is showing my age but James Tannehill (sp?) was a big influence and figure in Indiana Wrestling when I competed and first started coaching.  Saw him almost every weekend!

He still helps at Pike middle school!!! My middle school team duals them tonight. Hopefully I get to see him. I tell my kids all about him when we see him!!! 

Really showing my age, but watching Muncie Central’s great Pete Lee (state champion and future Olympian) wrestle live in high school helped flame an early spark of interest in wrestling.  I remember sitting a few feet from him on the bleachers at sectionals at Muncie Southside and just being in complete awe.