Jump to content

Folkstyle State hurt by Corona?


Recommended Posts

Usually it's Bud Light on the mind of many coaches and parents the weekend of Folkstyle state, but this year it will be The Corona....

 

Will it impact people's decision to cram into a gym and watch their kids swap sweat with other kids from all over the state??

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a novel concept, let's not force the kids to shake hands with all the coaches, refs, table help, and everyone there.

This isn't the flu, there is no vaccine for this virus. This is a new virus that spread to humans in December and has now spread across the world and has a very high mortality rate. When the people wh

Asking a school or big facility to not host any events because they are a backup to the original host is virtually impossible. This is an event that needs 20+ mats, which there are maybe a handful in

Posted Images

Personally i will no longer be taking my young nephew or my other 2 wrestlers to folks style state It sucks cause they just started wrestling last summer, but better safe then sorry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Here is a novel concept, let's not force the kids to shake hands with all the coaches, refs, table help, and everyone there.

Not sure the rolling around on a mat multiple time that every participant and coach has walked across all day is helping either.  Especially when those same people walk around the school floor with those same shoes on the rest of the day.  
 

Corona or not, get some skin coat and then make sure your kids clean themselves really well right after they are done.  It’s just the better approach to prevention many skin and health issue from spreading.  Be nice if they cleaned the mats more often plus encouraged everyone to clean their shoes prior to stepping on the mats if they wore them on the gym floor prior, but you can only do so much.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately the media is responsible for the panic.  Businesses and retirement accounts and people’s lives are being disrupted by this panic.  As someone who is in the health care industry, we as a society and our media should have this same passion for encouraging those same people who are at risk of COVID-19 to go and get their flu shots every year.  It’s those with compromised immune systems, the elderly and those with COPD that are most at risk.   The main issue with an outbreak is the transmission from healthy individuals to those who are compromised.  Instead of keeping a wrestler from going to state, how about we tell grandma and grandpa to stay at home.  If the media had its way, every Walmart in the country should be closed to keep this virus from spreading.  

Edited by #TheBrand
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, #TheBrand said:

Unfortunately the media is responsible for the panic.  Businesses and retirement accounts and people’s lives are being disrupted by this panic.  As someone who is in the health care industry, we as a society and our media should have this same passion for encouraging those same people who are at risk of COVID-19 to go and get their flu shots every year.  It’s those with compromised immune systems, the elderly and those with COPD that are most at risk.   The main issue with an outbreak is the transmission from healthy individuals to those who are compromised.  Instead of keeping a wrestler from going to state, how about we tell grandma and grandpa to stay at home.  If the media had its way, every Walmart in the country should be closed to keep this virus from spreading.  

The flu sure as hell won't be taking the day off! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interested in this as well. Especially since the Avon  child tested positive and they closed down. I get the preventive measures (washing hands, defense wipes,etc) but  the kids are wrestling head -to- head, literally and figuratively😁, not sure how much help they will be. 

Edited by John Thornton
Link to post
Share on other sites

I never saw any reports on how the Avon child contracted the virus.  We’re they out of the country?  Were their parents?  Anybody know?

Edited by graham
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Clint Gard said:

Might not be the ISWA's choice if schools start shutting down and WC becomes one of them.  This could get stupid.

You mean we may have to actually hold our state tournament in an actual arena venue and not in school cafeterias???  Maybe some good will come from all of this non-sense!  Eville Ford Center, FW Coliseum, state fairgrounds? All venues would be an upgrade.  And don’t tell me they are not big enough. Make it something special for state.  Hell Fri-Sun.  All finals and placement matches on the final day.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, #TheBrand said:

You mean we may have to actually hold our state tournament in an actual arena venue and not in school cafeterias???  Maybe some good will come from all of this non-sense!  Eville Ford Center, FW Coliseum, state fairgrounds? All venues would be an upgrade.  And don’t tell me they are not big enough. Make it something special for state.  Hell Fri-Sun.  All finals and placement matches on the final day.  

I like the way you think!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, graham said:

I never saw any reports on how the Avon child contracted the virus.  We’re they out of the country?  Were their parents?  Anybody know?

The first student was a child of one of the two adults that contracted, that attended the "Boston Meeting". Now there is a second student.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.