Whose your schools most accomplished wrestler

12 hours ago, BIGCATSontheMAT said:

EMD- High school only it would be Blake Maurer. But all around it is definitely Nick Lee

HS only, my vote is Maurer.  But you could make an argument for Matt Coughlin if you include national credentials while in HS.  2-2-1-1, Fargo champ and NHSCA sr national champ.

BIAS WARNING:

Went to Garrett High School. I had to do some hard thinking given what happened last weekend in Evansville with Mr. Leech as well as Clayton Fielden from a few years ago.. but the best wrestler from my school is still my brother, Hayden Lee:

-2x Indiana Place Winner (3rd & 6th) 

-Ohio State Champ

-NAIA National Champ

-Super 32 - 8th Place

-Best winning percentage in school history

-Pinned Nick Lee at the 2011 IHPO

Edited by ILUV2PIN

Culver Community: Matt Hurford

172-11 Career

4xConference Champ

4xSectional Champ

4xRegional Champ

3xSemi-State finalist

3xQualifier - frosh qualifier at 189, which is bonkers

5th place finish 2012

Champ 2013

Fun note: After Matt's freshman year, we were in the post-season meeting discussing goals. When we asked how he thought the season would go he said, "I hoped maybe I would qualify for regional."

Goshen:

Our only champ was Dave Edlund in 1974--50 years ago this season.

Also 3rd his sophomore year.

(Bonus points for having 2 sons at state later.)

Best I ever watched was Joe Piwoszkin, our only 3-time placer.

Dropped a last-second semi-final decision in 2004 to all-time big-guy great, Chris Kasten, for his only loss that season.

Shout-outs also to Gerardo Quiroz, Schuyler Barkes, and Jim Hoke, who are the other 3 in my 35 seasons of following high school wrestling that could have won state on the right day.

Edited by maligned

18 hours ago, blueandgold said:

PM has a crap ton for the argument.

Chico Adams - 157-8 record, 2× State Champion

Alex Cottey - 164-8 record, 4× State Finalist, 2× State Champion, 2018 Junior Freestyle All-American

Cody LeCount - 180-2 record, 3× State Finalist, 2× State Champion, 2012 Cadet Freestyle Finalist

Jared McKinley - 201-8 record, 2× State Champion, 2× Junior Freestyle All-American

Nate Moore - 101-1 record (last two seasons), 2× State Champion, Junior Freestyle National Champion

Nick Walpole - 197-18 record, 2005 State Champion

Noah Warren - 166-9 record, 2× State Finalist, 2018 State Champion, NHSCA Sophomore All-American

Donte Winfield - 88-4 record (last two seasons), 2013 State Champion, 2012 Junior Freestyle National Finalist

Brandon James - 169-8 record, 4× State Medalist, 2014 State Finalist, NHSCA Senior All-American, 2013 Junior Freestyle All-American, 2× Cadet Freestyle All-American, 2012 Super 32 All-American

If we are to include accolades beyond high school, Winfield was an NJCAA All-American for Harper College, Adams and James were NAIA All-Americans, and Walpole is an NCAA Division II National Champion for the University of Indianapolis, the only champion in school history. Also, not listed above was Nick Bova who was a three-time state medalist in high school and a two-time NCAA Division III All-American for Wabash College.

Looking at it, Brandon James might be the most accomplished in all seriousness. He may have never won a title, but he was our first four-time medalist (3, 5, 2, 3) and he placed at every major tournament in the United States. He is also the only Indiana wrestler to defeat Chad Red during high school.

Garrett so far with high school only

Hayden Lee X-3rd-6th *Left state/Ohio Champ

Hayden Brady Qualifier-Qualifier-4th-Qualifier

Clayton Fielden x-x-2nd-2nd

Chase Leech Qualifier-Qualifier-x-1st 

could add in ISWA stuff, but let's not...

national stuff 

Hayden Lee Super 32 All American

Clayton Fielden FS Fargo All American

Zak McCray GR Fargo All American 

Edited by nkraus

17 minutes ago, nkraus said:

Garrett so far with high school only

Hayden Lee X-3rd-6th *Left state/Ohio Champ

Hayden Brady Qualifier-Qualifier-4th-Qualifier

Clayton Fielden x-x-2nd-2nd

Chase Leech Qualifier-Qualifier-x-1st 

could add in ISWA stuff, but let's not...

national stuff 

Hayden Lee Super 32 All American

Clayton Fielden FS Fargo All American

Zak McCray GR Fargo All American 

Well hello there, coach from my high school. Great short list of GHS legends 

Center Grove:

This one would be hard to say without a little research.

I believe Charlie Larocca with his 2 state titles would have to be the answer.

They've had many state champions but I believe Charlie is the only multiple champ.

Drake Buchanan

Hayden Watson

Brayden Littell (undefeated)

Sean Mappes (undefeated)

The Yates Brothers (can't remember if any were state champs or multiple state champs)

Ron Gaskins

It is a program with a rich history and its continuing to get better.

1 hour ago, blueandgold said:

Looking at it, Brandon James might be the most accomplished in all seriousness. He may have never won a title, but he was our first four-time medalist (3, 5, 2, 3) and he placed at every major tournament in the United States. He is also the only Indiana wrestler to defeat Chad Red during high school.

Brandon was on of Perry's best, no doubt. I do not know the specifics, but I believe Cody Lecount beat a list of studs when he was in high school, some from out of state.  I would bet someone else from Perry has that info.  I think most accomplished is still very subjective, so there will be differing opinions.

15 minutes ago, Bag of Hammers said:

Center Grove:

This one would be hard to say without a little research.

I believe Charlie Larocca with his 2 state titles would have to be the answer.

They've had many state champions but I believe Charlie is the only multiple champ.

Drake Buchanan

Hayden Watson

Brayden Littell (undefeated)

Sean Mappes (undefeated)

The Yates Brothers (can't remember if any were state champs or multiple state champs)

Ron Gaskins

It is a program with a rich history and its continuing to get better.

It might be Gaskins:

image.thumb.png.4f5a7a13b3c93ba4b7a07ceaf9d5a0b9.png

image.thumb.png.cd406f4e06aa859d0e6f94dfb7441315.png

Ron was 3rd, 1st and 1st his final 3 seasons.

9 hours ago, Disco said:

Randy May was a 3x state champion in 3 different weight classes. And undefeated. During Kay Hutsell’s run of state championship teams. 

1 hour ago, maligned said:

It might be Gaskins:

Ron was 3rd, 1st and 1st his final 3 seasons.

12 minutes ago, Bag of Hammers said:

I see his picture on the wall of fame every time I go to CG.  Couldn't remember his stats.  Impressive.

Gaskin's brother was very good too. It's been so long, I don't know which one it was but his battle with May was my introduction to serious wrestling.

Floyd Central

Either Cooper Samuels or J Conway

Cooper 4x Medalist, 3x Finalist and 2x Champ (Career Wins)

J Conway 4x Qualifier, 3x Medalist, 2x Champ, Fargo All-American (Takedown Record, and only wrestler with 2 undefeated seasons)

Nate Peterson was a 3x Qualifier, 2x Placer, State Champ (Only NCAA Qualifier)

Codei Khawaja was a 3x Fargo All-American and zero time Indiana state placer because of some poor luckl

1 hour ago, gsmith58 said:

Gaskin's brother was very good too. It's been so long, I don't know which one it was but his battle with May was my introduction to serious wrestling.

Yeah, it was Ron Gaskins' brother, Tom--4-3 in OT at state in 1975. Tom was a regional champ coming back again in the same weight as May in 1976 (regionals directly into state during that time period), but he didn't place top 4. I tried to look in a couple places, but I'm not sure what happened to him that year at state.

Scott Hall, AKA Razor Ramone went to my high school, he played basketball.  For real!! But he did a lot in wrestling after high school : You said accomplished wrestler!!!😉

Besides being one of the greatest heals of all time:

He won the WCW 60 man battle royal in 1997 and had these championships and accolades:😅😝🤪 

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

4 hours ago, No One Famous said:

Brandon was on of Perry's best, no doubt. I do not know the specifics, but I believe Cody Lecount beat a list of studs when he was in high school, some from out of state.  I would bet someone else from Perry has that info.  I think most accomplished is still very subjective, so there will be differing opinions.

I believe Cody LeGOAT pinned Bo Nickal as a Schoolboy. I know Jared McKinley defeated Brandon Sorensen and Kirk Johnson teched Isaiah Martinez at Fargo in the 7th Place Match in 2012.

HSE has a few options:

Jack Chastain is the career wins leader and Qualified as a Sophomore, took 5th twice

Austin Holmes qualified 3 times and won 2 4th place medals his Sophomore and Junior year. He’s second all time in wins.

Matt Irick likely would have been the guy had he not been hurt his Junior year. 2 time qualifier, 5th placer.

Jake Simone was a headlock and a bad draw away from maybe being the guy: Sophomore year he’s ranked top 4 in state, Regional Champ, up 6-2 on David Pierson in ticket round, in on another single, the patented DP headlock takes him out. Junior year, wins 8th place medal, Senior year, ranked 4th, loses to Eldred of Westfield 2-1 in Regionals, Eldred takes 2nd that year to Seltzer, who you guessed it, was Simone’s ticket round match that year. Awful.

As it lays: Andrew Irick is likely the guy. 2 time medalist in his 3 years as a starter taking 4th as a Junior, runner-up his Senior year in 2020 after a Semi-state title.

Only 2 time qualifier since then has been Max Broom, who never medaled but is the career leader in falls and won more matches with only one move (cradle) than anyone I’ve ever seen.

Got a crop of 7th/8th graders that have as much if not more credentials coming in than any of those guys. Hoping for that first champ in the next few seasons

23 minutes ago, Coach Brobst said:

HSE has a few options:

Jack Chastain is the career wins leader and Qualified as a Sophomore, took 5th twice

Austin Holmes qualified 3 times and won 2 4th place medals his Sophomore and Junior year. He’s second all time in wins.

Matt Irick likely would have been the guy had he not been hurt his Junior year. 2 time qualifier, 5th placer.

Jake Simone was a headlock and a bad draw away from maybe being the guy: Sophomore year he’s ranked top 4 in state, Regional Champ, up 6-2 on David Pierson in ticket round, in on another single, the patented DP headlock takes him out. Junior year, wins 8th place medal, Senior year, ranked 4th, loses to Eldred of Westfield 2-1 in Regionals, Eldred takes 2nd that year to Seltzer, who you guessed it, was Simone’s ticket round match that year. Awful.

As it lays: Andrew Irick is likely the guy. 2 time medalist in his 3 years as a starter taking 4th as a Junior, runner-up his Senior year in 2020 after a Semi-state title.

Only 2 time qualifier since then has been Max Broom, who never medaled but is the career leader in falls and won more matches with only one move (cradle) than anyone I’ve ever seen.

Got a crop of 7th/8th graders that have as much if not more credentials coming in than any of those guys. Hoping for that first champ in the next few seasons

Chastain was fun to watch!