Most Impressive over the holiday

What stood out to you this weekend? Always a huge weekend of wrestling across the state from all corners.

I’ll start 

The Mishawaka coaching staff.

The Al smith is always one of the best in season tournaments. Coach Sandefer had made it even tougher. The blood round matches were ticket rd level matches, in the consolation semis we had semi state final level matches and rematches from the state finals 

Team: The Crown Point Bulldogs are unreal good. 

Even with out 2 returning state semi finalist (bahl and goodwin) they destroyed the field scoring 318 which was better the 315 from last year. They have some heavy hitters and a lot of depth! 

Hayden Demarco-Chesterton 

The Rankings are not a pick’ems and has to reflect results. He is ranked low but is a much better wrestler. Demarco has been dealing with an injury but is getting healthy and he wrestled great. The semi final rematch with Maldonado was a barn burner. We get to see that a couple more times before bringing that to Indy. 
The Final with Walker wow! I hope we can see that in Indy too, maybe the best match of the finals. Both wrestler looked ready for a deep post season run. 

Bonus 

Ashton Jackson vs Tanner Tishner was fire, Tishner was right there and might be one of the best match ups for Jackson. But man Jackson has no panic and just finds ways to win big matches. 

5 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

Put another McGinley in mix. Max McG's coming out party. Everything is better when a McGinley is wrestling well for the Irish. 

Killed it all weekend 

Also 

Brownsburg, Carmel and Crown point have multiple 132 who could be ranked in the state. 

Julianna Ocampo for sure. Have seen her off and on since pre-middle school and she continues to improve and impress. She always looks composed.  Doesn't let pressure get to her.  So looked solid in neutral, in referee's, in scrambles. If people didn't know before this weekend, they should know now.  She is a class act.

1 minute ago, rookie78 said:

Julianna Ocampo for sure. Have seen her off and on since pre-middle school and she continues to improve and impress. She always looks composed.  Doesn't let pressure get to her.  So looked solid in neutral, in referee's, in scrambles. If people didn't know before this weekend, they should know now.  She is a class act.

That Semi Final with Salazar was crazy! 

32 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

Put another McGinley in mix. Max McG's coming out party. Everything is better when a McGinley is wrestling well for the Irish. 

That family seems to always have a kid in high school or close to entering high school. Such a great Indiana wrestling family.  (Was friends with Tim's sister Colleen in college.)

31 minutes ago, rookie78 said:

Stumbled across this yesterday. Someone made a documentary style video about Julianna and Heather Crull.  Crazy how good these girls are.

3 hours ago, rookie78 said:

Should be ranked in the top 5.

Got 3, week after week facing National Ranked teams and individuals

1. Revin Dickman finishing 2nd at Brecksville Invite 

My question (my opinion) is why isn’t a *National Ranked*

*Ironman Placer* 

*Carnahan Runner up*

*Brecksville Runner up*

(Not in HS season 2x Fargo All-American)

not ranked #1 . What else this kid gotta do . 

2. Brady Ison winning Brecksville Invite Championship. 

3. Leighton Jones finishing 2nd at Brecksville Invite . 

11 minutes ago, TeamGarcia said:

Got 3, week after week facing National Ranked teams and individuals

1. Revin Dickman finishing 2nd at Brecksville Invite 

My question (my opinion) is why isn’t a *National Ranked*

*Ironman Placer* 

*Carnahan Runner up*

*Brecksville Runner up*

(Not in HS season 2x Fargo All-American)

not ranked #1 . What else this kid gotta do . 

2. Brady Ison winning Brecksville Invite Championship. 

3. Leighton Jones finishing 2nd at Brecksville Invite . 

If he beat Layne Horn in the Indianamat pre-season opener, he would be #1.  That 1-0 decision went the wrong way for him, and Layne finished above every other Indiana wrestler.

Very impressive that a small school like Western finishes in the top 5 of the Al Smith.

Tanner Tishner is tough and can win a title.

Hobart kid Costello doesn’t mind making it a dogfight. The matches I saw of his were fun to watch.

Demarco vs Walker was action packed!

Luke Penola of Zionsville is a tank. I need to send my son to the “Penola School of Handfighting” this offseason. I could hear his clubs from the nosebleeds.

37 minutes ago, DanKolov said:

Very impressive that a small school like Western finishes in the top 5 of the Al Smith.

Tanner Tishner is tough and can win a title.

Hobart kid Costello doesn’t mind making it a dogfight. The matches I saw of his were fun to watch.

Demarco vs Walker was action packed!

Luke Penola of Zionsville is a tank. I need to send my son to the “Penola School of Handfighting” this offseason. I could hear his clubs from the nosebleeds.

Western was a great add. They are really good 

34 minutes ago, DanKolov said:

Well, we have outliers in the rural communities. Western. Delta. Belmont. Etc. The Shepards, Bumgardners, Mendenhalls, Jarretts, etc are Indiana wrestling icons. 

Shepards might be the only other family outside of the McGinleys with more Indiana heritage. These kids make Indiana wrestling the greatest. Chad Shepard is kind of a big deal as Western's coach. One of the sickest cradles in Indiana wrestling history. Used it to his advantage in 1990-1991ish...

8 hours ago, Coplen187 said:

If he beat Layne Horn in the Indianamat pre-season opener, he would be #1.  That 1-0 decision went the wrong way for him, and Layne finished above every other Indiana wrestler.

Exactly how you said it “Pre Season” 

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Stop, you’re just being biased. Both kids toed the line right before the season and Horn won and earned the number one spot. Horn has not lost since, how does he deserve to drop? 

John Candy No GIF by Laff

Mine are “in season” Facts. Results don’t lie . 

6 minutes ago, TeamGarcia said:

John Candy No GIF by Laff

Mine are “in season” Facts. Results don’t lie . 

You’re right results don’t lie. And when you make rankings, you go by the most recent result within reason and last time they wrestled, which September is recent, Horn won. Sorry 1A Rochester isn’t putting out a national schedule like big bad Brownsburg can. And I would be Horn would have those similar results too if he got that kind of exposure. 

chris hemsworth thor GIF 
Don’t be going all Super Hero on me Mr. Super Hero guy, strongest of the Avengers, Strongest on Indianamat . I know your weakness. 

I’m gonna need some results from “in season”  #1 Horn, until then ….. well…..  we got a new #1 at 106 

Again this is my opinion… my opinion means 💩.

But…..  for @Thor Super Hero of Indianamat its love . That’s your weakness . 

Edited by TeamGarcia
Spell check

13 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

The 170lber from Cathedral that shall not be named until his father delivers some wings. He avenged his only loss and wrestled back for 3rd in a brutally tough weight class.

You may want to find me Sat morning in the bb gym. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XK3RnzYUwvbjx9h78

11 minutes ago, TeamGarcia said:

I’m gonna need some results from “in season”  #1 Horn, until then ….. we’ll we got a new #1 at 106 

I do believe IHPO has been considered in season for quite a few years now although Faulkens may disagree.  Every kid that enters IHPO knows what they are in for and that the results will be used for rankings.  So until they get matched up again the results speak for themselves.

11 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

I do believe IHPO has been considered in season for quite a few years now although Faulkens may disagree.  Every kid that enters IHPO knows what they are in for and that the results will be used for rankings.  So until they get matched up again the results speak for themselves.

Not disputing the IHPO, or IHPO results . 

These rankings are based on “Season Results” that count towards that. 

I’ll put Horn above Dickman on P4P rankings because it was out of season win. Horn beat (Fargo All-American) out of HS season tournament congrats . 

In HS Season Dickman HS results are Facts, he’s #1 HS wrestler in Indiana at 106 .  
Can’t dispute the resume he’s building .