Holiday Tournaments: Upsets and Key Matches

navy80

13 hours ago, ontherise219 said:

Describe almost 

13 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

Nothing to see here! LOL

From my perspective I witnessed a home run attempt vs a Nationally ranked kid…who fought out of position and put on a takedown clinic to a pin of his own! All while wrestling with a separate Shoulder from Day one of tournament. Then proceeded to wrestle with one arm in finals to a tech fall. So yeah tons to discuss 

Lol a reversal and three backs, the “home run” attempt just about hit. Merritt is a dangerous wrestler than can put anyone away. It’s not everyday  where a IN kid puts Goin to his back and keeps him there. Sorry to hurt your feelings @Barn Burner, seperated shoulder or not he still got put to his back🤷🏻‍♂️. Sorry I should’ve added kudos to him for fighting off and managing to score points after I guess?

Edited by bigballerb

15 hours ago, HawkinIndy said:

Tylin’s pin over Aquino-Morales and then the clinic he put on against Ingalls should vault him into the top 6. He’s only getting better and has a real shot at going under the lights in February.

He's a monster 126 pounder too  those Thrine boys just built different. 

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

My upsetness is that I didn’t get to make fun of the lack of information from the Spartan Classic this year, since they finally figured out how the internet works.   Actually I’m not upset at all, way to go Connersville!

Edited by MattM

5 minutes ago, gogoplata89 said:

Tylin put on a hell of a show this week. 

Thank you, he always does things that amazes me and I have known the kid since he was a baby and watch his whole career! He does things that you can't coach and wouldn't coach if you could LOL

9 minutes ago, gogoplata89 said:

Tylin put on a hell of a show this week. 

Y'all are doing great things over at Greenfield as well congrats on the big Spartan classic title! By the way I was looking at old dual team state records and things and that 96 Greenfield team was the best team I've seen y'all ever have, do you remember that team? 

7 minutes ago, MattM said:

My upsetness is that I didn’t get to make fun of the lack of information from the Spartan Classic this year, since they finally gigured out how the internet works.   Actually I’m not upset at all, way to go Connersville!

IKR 😂 they did great this year

4 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Y'all are doing great things over at Greenfield as well congrats on the big Spartan classic title! By the way I was looking at old dual team state records and things and that 96 Greenfield team was the best team I've seen y'all ever have, do you remember that team? 

Thank you, just working hard trying to fulfill our potential. As far as the 96 team, no not really, only because I was 6 years old. I know we've had some very good squads in the 80's and 90's that Coach Ed Hamant would talk about a lot.  2012 team that had 4 state qualifiers and won the HHC over very good New Pal and Yorktown teams, would be my pick for best ever.  Hopefully the 2022-23 group will be in the conversation after next weekend. 

This is what it shows on Trackwrestling from the Goin vs Merritt match!

Sam Goin (Crown Point HS) defeated Andre Merritt (Center Grove HS)
Sam Goin
Crown Point HS
Andre Merritt
Center Grove HS

Period 1
Takedown (0:19)  
  Reversal (0:05)
  3 Nearfall (0:02)
2 5
Choice 1
  Bottom
0 0
Period 2
  Escape (2:00)
  Stalling (1:24)
Takedown (1:13)  
  Escape (1:06)
Takedown (1:02)  
4 2

DEFIANCE TRI STATE BORDER WARS.

Joey Buttler Goes 5-0. Earns OW honors for lower half weight classes.

Knocking off Ohio State ranked D2 #9  Masson Ducat  (12-2 Decision) in the Quarters. Who knocked out, D1 #4 Hudson Goebel.

Then UP 20-5 gets the pin over#22 Ayden Gleckler in the Semi-Finals

And Tech  fall win 15-0 over #9 Robby Bennett in the Finals

22-0 on the season

19 pins

2 tech falls

1 decision

Still yet to be taken down this year.

Jakarrey Oliver pulls down 4th.

Vincent Tinocco pulls down 8th.

10 hours ago, bigballerb said:

Lol a reversal and three backs, the “home run” attempt just about hit. Merritt is a dangerous wrestler than can put anyone away. It’s not everyday  where a IN kid puts Goin to his back and keeps him there. Sorry to hurt your feelings @Barn Burner, seperated shoulder or not he still got put to his back🤷🏻‍♂️. Sorry I should’ve added kudos to him for fighting off and managing to score points after I guess?

Merritt is tough and can wrestle with anyone. He did reverse Goin to his back from the announcers table it didn't look like it would be a fall. Sam didn't panic, Merritt went down Sam cut him took him down and got the fall. Again, I think Andre is dangerous and will be in the mix for a medal. 

24 minutes ago, buttler73 said:

Knocking off Ohio State ranked D2 #9  Masson Ducat  (12-2 Decision) in the Quarters. Who knocked out, D1 #4 Hudson Goebel.

22-0 on the season

19 pins

2 tech falls

1 decision

Congratulations on the OW, Joey wrestled more Ranked guys in Ohio this weekend then he has wrestled in Indiana 

20 minutes ago, ontherise219 said:

Merritt is tough and can wrestle with anyone. He did reverse Goin to his back from the announcers table it didn't look like it would be a fall. Sam didn't panic, Merritt went down Sam cut him took him down and got the fall. Again, I think Andre is dangerous and will be in the mix for a medal. 

Merritt has the best hips in the State.

Strong, fast, flexible, and athletic. He is always ,always dangerous. And once he wrestled you once he typically can work from there not to lose again. He is a bad draw for anyone.

49 minutes ago, buttler73 said:

22-0 on the season

19 pins

2 tech falls

1 decision

Tried to get Something going Traicoff.

J Johnson was out for Cathedral. 

Not matched with Mishawaka there either. 

Just work the opportunities given and make the most out of them

1 hour ago, ontherise219 said:

Congratulations on the OW, Joey wrestled more Ranked guys in Ohio this weekend then he has wrestled in Indiana 

Give it about month and half ,  Mr. Buttler will get his heavy hands on those Ranked Wrestlers Mr. Ranker guy . The Mooresville Semi State is coming & Dirty South official Semi State will follow .
ric flair wwe GIF

Who needs to wrestle Indiana ranked wrestlers when you got those coming up to test you .

My Takes from my silly post  :

1. Whiteland needs to up their wrestling schedule, to keep Mr. Ranker happy with ranked stuff to judge on . 

2. Ohio wrestling needs 1 division in my opinion. Sad they don’t because they got some hammers that would love to be 1 and only Champion in their State . 

3. The best time of the year is coming ! 

34 minutes ago, TeamGarcia said:

Give it about month and half ,  Mr. Buttler will get his heavy hands on those Ranked Wrestlers Mr. Ranker guy . The Mooresville Semi State is coming & Dirty South official Semi State will follow .
ric flair wwe GIF

Who needs to wrestle Indiana ranked wrestlers when you got those coming up to test you .

My Takes from my silly post  :

1. Whiteland needs to up their wrestling schedule, to keep Mr. Ranker happy with ranked stuff to judge on . 

2. Ohio wrestling needs 1 division in my opinion. Sad they don’t because they got some hammers that would love to be 1 and only Champion in their State . 

3. The best time of the year is coming ! 

1. Whiteland will have a great group that should and is expected to make lots of noise in the years ahead.

2. I am not crazy about their 3 divisions. but they have twice as many schools as we have. And yes they have some great kids wrestling there.

3. Could not agree with you more. 

2 hours ago, Raven27 said:

Was ranked 2nd.  Beats #5 state ranked and moves down 1. 

I doubt that was about moving him down. It was more likely Frazier moving up with two wins over Tolbert. Probably a coin toss ;)

The top four are mighty close. Should make for an interesting bracket at New Castle.