Holiday Tournaments: Upsets and Key Matches

navy80

On 12/31/2022 at 10:19 PM, buttler73 said:

Tried to get Something going Traicoff.

J Johnson was out for Cathedral. 

Not matched with Mishawaka there either. 

Just work the opportunities given and make the most out of them

🤔 Thought someone mentioned to you to have Joey bump to 138 against New Prairie to wrestle Huyvaert for some competition, but that didn’t happen…

1 hour ago, dwise said:

🤔 Thought someone mentioned to you to have Joey bump to 138 against New Prairie to wrestle Huyvaert for some competition, but that didn’t happen…

Yes, but I am not the coach. The coach looking at the 2xFF's we had that day and Allen missing weight @182 and wrestling up at 220 we were short handed and if Joey & Jeff's weights match would have came later in the match it would have made the HC decision easier.  Most important thing is to secure the team win. We had no other 132 that day. I guess if we ff 132 to take the match we just give 12 points there. Also thought that Lewis the State Qualifier was wrestling at 132. Or was atleast it was on Indianamat he was a SS #6 132 at the time. And did not know he was not wrestling 132. Ultimately the right call was made, although I would have liked to have seen the match. Jeff is having a great year though. Good Luck!

Update on some tough matches for Brownsburg. Hard to follow, as they have been grinding against mostly out of state competition. I know I missed some. As accurate as I could get from my source. 

106 Revin Dickman
5-0 over #8 Luke Green Auora
8-0 over #3 Emeric McBurney Massillon Perry
L 8-7 to #13 Nationally Rylan Seacrist
W over #18 Nationally Ayden Thomas Stillwater
L #6 Nationally Yarbourough OH
L #8 Nationally Ayden Smith Notre Dame PA
Fall #6 OH Huggy Williams 
TF #14 OH Blake Frantz Wadsworth

113 Preston haines
Fall over Peyton Costa #20
L to #1 MI Carter Cichocki OT
7-3 over #11 Alex Denikins Perrysburg
L TB #2 Jaxson Rosselli Oeltnagy Liberty
L #7 Konner Lambers Elder OT
5-1 W over #10 Donny Pigoni Marmion
L to Nationally Ranked Deion Johnson Homewood Flossmoor
5-0 W Tanner Berkenstock Notre Dame PA
L #4 Ohio Karson Brown St Eds

120 Jake Hockaday
MD #3 Ohio Nathan Attisano
L #3 Ohio Adam Butler St Eds
L IL Zach Stewart Marmion Academy
W #7 OH Braden Hahlen CVCA
Fall over Robye Williams IL HF
6-2 Damian Desendez Mt Carmel IL
L 9-6 Nationally ranked #2 Jordyn Raney

126 Landen Haines
fall over #12 Alex Mickens Columbus
MD over #10 Joey Baumann Dublin Coffman
L to #1 MI Braden Davis
3-2 over #8 Kolten Barker Louisville
L Nationally ranked #14 Jameson Garcia

132 Brady Ison
6-5 over #3 Kaden Jett Brecksville
10-1 over #6 Nick Blackburn Mentor
6-0 over #7 Diego Chavez Perrysburg
TF over #29 Boston Burkhardt Marysville
4-2 over #1 Ashton Horman Monroeville
L #5 Nationally Vincent Robinson
8-3 W over #4 Ohio Brogan Tucker returning State Champ St Paris Graham 

138 Parker Reynolds
5-1 over Mason Stewart DCC
L to #1 Justin Gates Davison MI 7-2
5-0 #1 Ashton Horman Monroeville
MD over #4 Hayden Hughes St Paris Graham
L #3 Ryan Bennett St Eds
5-0 Evan Cruz

175 Caden Brewer
Dec 6-3 over #11 Hogan from Mentor
L #2 Nationally Josh Barr
MD 10-0 #13 Storm Beane Dublin Coffmann

(lost to him 5-2) at IHPO
L #1 Connor Havill Troy 9-6
L #3 Shulaw Columbus 7-6
L 9-4 #2 Nationally Jarell Miller St Eds
Dec 8-2 over #2 IL Jack Lesher Marmion
Fall IHPO 3rd place Bruce Besker Walsh Jesuit

190 Gunner Henry
Fall over #8 Lee Burkett Troy
L 13-11 #1 Max Ray Tiffin
W 8-4 over #12 McPherson Brecksville
L #1 Keegen Sell Garrettsville
Fall over #10 Wisconsin Polcyzsnki
Fall over #7 Anthony White
Fall #20 OH Carhlie Mitchell Dublin Coffman

285 Leighton Jones
L #1 Aidan Fockler 3-1
6-0 W #6 Joey Thurston Teays Valley
Fall over #21 Carmargo St Ignatious
3-2 #2 OH Aaron Ries Wadsworth
5-1 #2 Paul Clark
L 5-2 Carter Neves Blair Academy

Going to have some ugly records. The December grind was real!!!! Time to come home and show what the grind has produced. 

13 minutes ago, Hornet Coach said:

Both of these young men are just flat out hammers.  I enjoy watching them wrestle.

They would really appreciate that and are humble hard nosed genetic freaks! 

They're great young men with a great support system!!! 

I'm going to drop a little secret on here I've never disclosed, but when your family has the kinda Lineage 1 of the best Ever Ohio State buckeyes

AKA 3 times was 1st team AA, National Champ and SB champ 

and hardest hitting colts of all Tim THE MIKE DOSS(their mom maiden name is Doss her cousin) it's no wonder they're unreal athletes but good manners from their parents as well! 

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

3 hours ago, buttler73 said:

Yes, but I am not the coach. The coach looking at the 2xFF's we had that day and Allen missing weight @182 and wrestling up at 220 we were short handed and if Joey & Jeff's weights match would have came later in the match it would have made the HC decision easier.  Most important thing is to secure the team win. We had no other 132 that day. I guess if we ff 132 to take the match we just give 12 points there. Also thought that Lewis the State Qualifier was wrestling at 132. Or was atleast it was on Indianamat he was a SS #6 132 at the time. And did not know he was not wrestling 132. Ultimately the right call was made, although I would have liked to have seen the match. Jeff is having a great year though. Good Luck!

That all makes total sense and it would've been a fun match to watch! Good luck to Joey all the way thru the State series!

1 hour ago, Mattyb said:

Update on some tough matches for Brownsburg. Hard to follow, as they have been grinding against mostly out of state competition. I know I missed some. As accurate as I could get from my source. 

106 Revin Dickman
5-0 over #8 Luke Green Auora
8-0 over #3 Emeric McBurney Massillon Perry
L 8-7 to #13 Nationally Rylan Seacrist
W over #18 Nationally Ayden Thomas Stillwater
L #6 Nationally Yarbourough OH
L #8 Nationally Ayden Smith Notre Dame PA
Fall #6 OH Huggy Williams 
TF #14 OH Blake Frantz Wadsworth

113 Preston haines
Fall over Peyton Costa #20
L to #1 MI Carter Cichocki OT
7-3 over #11 Alex Denikins Perrysburg
L TB #2 Jaxson Rosselli Oeltnagy Liberty
L #7 Konner Lambers Elder OT
5-1 W over #10 Donny Pigoni Marmion
L to Nationally Ranked Deion Johnson Homewood Flossmoor
5-0 W Tanner Berkenstock Notre Dame PA
L #4 Ohio Karson Brown St Eds

120 Jake Hockaday
MD #3 Ohio Nathan Attisano
L #3 Ohio Adam Butler St Eds
L IL Zach Stewart Marmion Academy
W #7 OH Braden Hahlen CVCA
Fall over Robye Williams IL HF
6-2 Damian Desendez Mt Carmel IL
L 9-6 Nationally ranked #2 Jordyn Raney

126 Landen Haines
fall over #12 Alex Mickens Columbus
MD over #10 Joey Baumann Dublin Coffman
L to #1 MI Braden Davis
3-2 over #8 Kolten Barker Louisville
L Nationally ranked #14 Jameson Garcia

132 Brady Ison
6-5 over #3 Kaden Jett Brecksville
10-1 over #6 Nick Blackburn Mentor
6-0 over #7 Diego Chavez Perrysburg
TF over #29 Boston Burkhardt Marysville
4-2 over #1 Ashton Horman Monroeville
L #5 Nationally Vincent Robinson
8-3 W over #4 Ohio Brogan Tucker returning State Champ St Paris Graham 

138 Parker Reynolds
5-1 over Mason Stewart DCC
L to #1 Justin Gates Davison MI 7-2
5-0 #1 Ashton Horman Monroeville
MD over #4 Hayden Hughes St Paris Graham
L #3 Ryan Bennett St Eds
5-0 Evan Cruz

175 Caden Brewer
Dec 6-3 over #11 Hogan from Mentor
L #2 Nationally Josh Barr
MD 10-0 #13 Storm Beane Dublin Coffmann

(lost to him 5-2) at IHPO
L #1 Connor Havill Troy 9-6
L #3 Shulaw Columbus 7-6
L 9-4 #2 Nationally Jarell Miller St Eds
Dec 8-2 over #2 IL Jack Lesher Marmion
Fall IHPO 3rd place Bruce Besker Walsh Jesuit

190 Gunner Henry
Fall over #8 Lee Burkett Troy
L 13-11 #1 Max Ray Tiffin
W 8-4 over #12 McPherson Brecksville
L #1 Keegen Sell Garrettsville
Fall over #10 Wisconsin Polcyzsnki
Fall over #7 Anthony White
Fall #20 OH Carhlie Mitchell Dublin Coffman

285 Leighton Jones
L #1 Aidan Fockler 3-1
6-0 W #6 Joey Thurston Teays Valley
Fall over #21 Carmargo St Ignatious
3-2 #2 OH Aaron Ries Wadsworth
5-1 #2 Paul Clark
L 5-2 Carter Neves Blair Academy

Going to have some ugly records. The December grind was real!!!! Time to come home and show what the grind has produced. 

Rather have those tough lessons learned and be battle tested for that state run, than a sparkling untested 0!

2 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

They would really appreciate that and are humble hard nosed genetic freaks! 

They're great young men with a great support system!!! 

I'm going to drop a little secret on here I've never disclosed, but when your family has the kinda Lineage 1 of the best Ever Ohio State buckeyes

AKA 3 times was 1st team AA, National Champ and SB champ 

and hardest hitting colts of all Tim THE MIKE DOSS(their mom maiden name is Doss her cousin) it's no wonder they're unreal athletes but good manners from their parents as well! 

I’ve met them a few times and they have been nothing but polite and respectful.  Respect to these young men and their parents, well done.  

15 hours ago, Hornet Coach said:

I’ve met them a few times and they have been nothing but polite and respectful.  Respect to these young men and their parents, well done.  

I think if Ty decides to wrestle more than few months out of the year he could be contending for state titles. 

13 hours ago, Newcastlewrestlingfamily said:

Ty will already be contending  for state titles just my opinion lol 

Definitely but every year new studs come up and develop across the state, regardless we'll have em ready, the Village will all be supporting!! I think I know who this is btw😂

On 12/31/2022 at 9:25 PM, buttler73 said:

DEFIANCE TRI STATE BORDER WARS.

Joey Buttler Goes 5-0. Earns OW honors for lower half weight classes.

Knocking off Ohio State ranked D2 #9  Masson Ducat  (12-2 Decision) in the Quarters. Who knocked out, D1 #4 Hudson Goebel.

Then UP 20-5 gets the pin over#22 Ayden Gleckler in the Semi-Finals

And Tech  fall win 15-0 over #9 Robby Bennett in the Finals

22-0 on the season

19 pins

2 tech falls

1 decision

Still yet to be taken down this year.

Jakarrey Oliver pulls down 4th.

Vincent Tinocco pulls down 8th.

Looks like a Waite wrestler is claiming to be the OW at Defiance. Can we get an official ruling?

First off this tweet is from a different tournament there were 55 teams at this one not 23 and it is called Defiance Tri-State Border Wars because it is in DEFIANCE OHIO. Not and at Northview high school.

The date on the plaques are December 2-3 not December 29-30.

The twitter time stamp actually shows the date and the time as well if you read the plaques or the banner behind the kid it would explain some of that.

But obviously there is more right? Someone is trolling for ya. you did not go find these yourself.

So I was unclear as to what happen at the tourney. I left after Joe's last match.  As I got a story from Joey stating not all the coaches voted  and there may have been some Ohio bias and he is going to have one made or something made and send it the school. This is where I made the mistake of thinking it was an OW award. This was Saturday night. I waited until Sunday night to post anything on the Indianamat. 

With that I reached out to get some clarification on what had happen because I did not have enough information

Official Ruling - I don't know what he is getting.

After talking to Defiance Head Coach Patrick Murphy he explained to me today that  Contos received 1 more vote than Joey for the OW from those coaches that voted.

He said, and this is a direct copy and paste," I felt that there could have been some Ohio bias in the vote, as most of our participating teams are from Ohio. That is not a statement of wrongdoing or ill-intent, simply a recognition that the tournament took place in Ohio and your son's school is from Indiana. The Contos family is well-known in Ohio and not only is the young man an excellent wrestler, but so were his older brother, father, uncle, and grandfather. I followed that statement with the idea that I would like to do something to demonstrate my appreciation for your son's efforts at our tournament. I told him I would like to get something to him and that I would send it to the coach at the school, and the coach would forward it to him." END of Quote

I did not want to post some injustice had been done somewhere and say we are waiting for the award to show up. On Sunday night. 

After communicating with Coach Murphy I got the entire conversation and will just have to wait to see what is sent.

---I ABSOLUTELY took what Joey said  and ran with it as OW Plaque. After emailing the HC I have no idea what will actually be sent or what will be stated on the plaque.* Might be the best hair at tournament? He would take that I am sure.  Will wait and see what its actually is. 

SO to circle back I have misspoken about what he will receive. But when it comes in I will be sure to let you know. 

A Little Breakdown

55 teams in the tourney 44 from Ohio 7 from Indiana, 3 from Michigan & 1 Wisconsin.

Here is the breakdown

Contos                                                               JOEY 

1st round-Bye                                                    Bye

2nd 4-0 before pin:35                                      17-4 before pin (2:22)

3rd 2-0 before pin:56                                       2-0 pin (:16)

Quarters- tech fall  (19-2 4:29) #24                12-2 Major Ranked DUCANTE #5 BEAT #4 H. GOEBLE9-8

Semi  14-0 before pin(5:31) Ranked#23         20-5 before pin (4:10) ranked Gleckler #18

Finals Tech fall(21-6 5:56)  #4                         Tech fall (15-0 5:18) ranked Bennett #10

PINS:

3 pins time (7:02)                                       3  pins (6:48)

total match points: 60                                total match points 66 

Amongst the winners of each weight class Joey had the fastest average pin at 1:38 per pin versus 1:40 

Contos wrestled very well and is deserving of the OW award. and I would not want to take it away from him.

1 hour ago, buttler73 said:

First off this tweet is from a different tournament there were 55 teams at this one not 23 and it is called Defiance Tri-State Border Wars because it is in DEFIANCE OHIO. Not and at Northview high school.

The date on the plaques are December 2-3 not December 29-30.

The twitter time stamp actually shows the date and the time as well if you read the plaques or the banner behind the kid it would explain some of that.

But obviously there is more right? Someone is trolling for ya. you did not go find these yourself.

So I was unclear as to what happen at the tourney. I left after Joe's last match.  As I got a story from Joey stating not all the coaches voted  and there may have been some Ohio bias and he is going to have one made or something made and send it the school. This is where I made the mistake of thinking it was an OW award. This was Saturday night. I waited until Sunday night to post anything on the Indianamat. 

With that I reached out to get some clarification on what had happen because I did not have enough information

Official Ruling - I don't know what he is getting.

After talking to Defiance Head Coach Patrick Murphy he explained to me today that  Contos received 1 more vote than Joey for the OW from those coaches that voted.

He said, and this is a direct copy and paste," I felt that there could have been some Ohio bias in the vote, as most of our participating teams are from Ohio. That is not a statement of wrongdoing or ill-intent, simply a recognition that the tournament took place in Ohio and your son's school is from Indiana. The Contos family is well-known in Ohio and not only is the young man an excellent wrestler, but so were his older brother, father, uncle, and grandfather. I followed that statement with the idea that I would like to do something to demonstrate my appreciation for your son's efforts at our tournament. I told him I would like to get something to him and that I would send it to the coach at the school, and the coach would forward it to him." END of Quote

I did not want to post some injustice had been done somewhere and say we are waiting for the award to show up. On Sunday night. 

After communicating with Coach Murphy I got the entire conversation and will just have to wait to see what is sent.

---I ABSOLUTELY took what Joey said  and ran with it as OW Plaque. After emailing the HC I have no idea what will actually be sent or what will be stated on the plaque.* Might be the best hair at tournament? He would take that I am sure.  Will wait and see what its actually is. 

SO to circle back I have misspoken about what he will receive. But when it comes in I will be sure to let you know. 

A Little Breakdown

55 teams in the tourney 44 from Ohio 7 from Indiana, 3 from Michigan & 1 Wisconsin.

Here is the breakdown

Contos                                                               JOEY 

1st round-Bye                                                    Bye

2nd 4-0 before pin:35                                      17-4 before pin (2:22)

3rd 2-0 before pin:56                                       2-0 pin (:16)

Quarters- tech fall  (19-2 4:29) #24                12-2 Major Ranked DUCANTE #5 BEAT #4 H. GOEBLE9-8

Semi  14-0 before pin(5:31) Ranked#23         20-5 before pin (4:10) ranked Gleckler #18

Finals Tech fall(21-6 5:56)  #4                         Tech fall (15-0 5:18) ranked Bennett #10

PINS:

3 pins time (7:02)                                       3  pins (6:48)

total match points: 60                                total match points 66 

Amongst the winners of each weight class Joey had the fastest average pin at 1:38 per pin versus 1:40 

Contos wrestled very well and is deserving of the OW award. and I would not want to take it away from him.

Golden Girls Rose GIF by TV Land

10 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

The Combat Queen Crull!!! Ty was runner up! 

That's great. Did you come up with the, absolutely appropriate, Combat Queen or is that her nickname around East Central Indiana? 

With her and Ocampo, in close matches, they just bide time waiting for their opponents first big mistake.

Edited by gsmith58

15 hours ago, gsmith58 said:

That's great. Did you come up with the, absolutely appropriate, Combat Queen or is that her nickname around East Central Indiana? 

With her and Ocampo, in close matches, they just bide time waiting for their opponents first big mistake.

Lol yep I made it up on the spot, It is so fitting and deserved! But what we like doesn't mean squat, if Her pops and her, don't like it then we both in trouble lol

In our Indiana Wrestling royalty Cabinet we have our 1st young ladies of Indiana wrestling! I don the following (unless they disagree)

Heather "THEE COMBAT QUEEN"  Crull 

And 

Juliana

"The COUNTESS of COMBAT" O'CAMPO !! 

• 1 month later...