Most Unexpected State Title Run

blueandgold

Eli Stock of Monrovia, maybe? Ranked #17 and was a regional qualifier the year prior; beat Burk Van Horn of Franklin twice during the state series, and won the title pinning #2 Purdue-commit Tanner Webster of North Montgomery. I honestly had no clue who Stock was until the sectional when he upset Van Horn.

Dorian Keys of Brownsburg as well. Didn’t wrestle until his junior year of high school and managed to run all the way to the title without being well known.

Thurman Stone of Calumet

1 minute ago, blueandgold said:

Dorian Keys of Brownsburg as well. Didn’t wrestle until his junior year of high school and managed to run all the way to the title without being well known.

Keys wrestled in middle school and was on the Ben Davis team as a freshman.

I'll add in this name, although the unexpected part is more about his actual high school.  Ryan Pribble '03 from Turkey Run HS, which is now closed.  My memory is admittedly a bit hazy for that far back now and he may well have been favored at 140 that year, but I'm guessing Turkey Run might be the smallest Indiana HS to claim a state champion in wrestling, at least in the modern area.  I seem to recall as well that he beat Darren "The Damage" Elkins in the semis, but I could be entirely in error on that.  It wouldn't be a first.  😀

1 hour ago, ColdSkifan said:

I'll add in this name, although the unexpected part is more about his actual high school.  Ryan Pribble '03 from Turkey Run HS, which is now closed.  My memory is admittedly a bit hazy for that far back now and he may well have been favored at 140 that year, but I'm guessing Turkey Run might be the smallest Indiana HS to claim a state champion in wrestling, at least in the modern area.  I seem to recall as well that he beat Darren "The Damage" Elkins in the semis, but I could be entirely in error on that.  It wouldn't be a first.  😀

He was a 🔨 he had a team mate that was tough too naked Jacob Green that my team mate T Coatie had in the ticket round, they put Turkey run on the map.

2 hours ago, Ahawkeye said:

Chad Ruggeri of Mt. Vernon (Posey) I'm pretty sure he threw the field to their backs! The guy came out of nowhere! 

I'd love to see a highlight of that, I was there and remember him launching the Original monster from Merrillville Dexter Larimore like he was a baby and stuck him... That was def 1 the most impressive runs ever, up there win a SilasAlreds, Bubba Dickerson and Parris' title runs at state titles.

2 hours ago, ColdSkifan said:

Pribble was a stud that year he won. And didn’t turkey run have some really nice powder blue singlets as well? 

2 hours ago, ColdSkifan said:

He indeed did get through future UFC fighter Elkins in the semis.  

Pribble had a pretty decent run coaching some small division team in I believe Iowa awhile back.  I thought he was head back to Indiana, but I haven’t heard much on him after that.  

Aaron Ramey, 1999 215 lb State Champ:

Aaron Ramey, Prairie Heights, pinned Matt Collins, Vincennes Lincoln, :41 Friday night.

Saturday:

Aaron Ramey, Prairie Heights, pinned Juan Alba, Hammond Gavit, :45 Quarterfinals 

Aaron Ramey, Prairie Heights, dec. Bryan Kapp, Homestead, 5-3 Semi Finals

Finals: Aaron Ramey, Prairie Heights (35-2) dec. Kevin Kemper, Lawrence North (46-4), 5-2.

Only state champ from Prairie Heights. Placed 3rd as a junior, ran into some guy name D........J..........RADNOVICH in the semi finals..

1998 State Finals matches:

Win vs. Jason Bales( Connersville) Fall 1:25
Win vs. Jeremiah Rizek( John Glenn) Dec 9-3
Loss vs. D. J. Radnovich( Gibson Southern) Fall 0:52
Win vs. Ian Spearman( Southport) Dec 11-10

45 minutes ago, busstogate said:

Aaron Ramey, Prairie Heights?  Can anyone fill in the story on his run?

Edited by rookie78

I'm not certain on the powder blue singlets.  If I have my calendar years right, the night of the 2003 finals was a pretty bad winter ice/snow storm and I didn't get to attend.  I actually started the trek over to Indy from Dayton that afternoon to see the finals, but then had to turn back around before it really got bad.  Mother Nature...

Sure would liked to have watched MD's run of four in a row that night though, in addition to the Pribble match.  I can only imagine that he would have had a lot of the crowd behind him being from such a small school.   

As for what he's doing now, assuming this website is current, he's a chiropractor in Bloomington.  Nice bio of him here.  I go to a chiropractor myself and am thankful for the work they do and relief they can provide. 

https://www.bsw-in.com/meet-your-bloomington-chiropractors

I know a guy who won the first state title in any sport at his school. 😉  At the time, he graduated with a class size of 85, and possibly a smaller school enrollment than Turkey Run.  Would like to know the comparison.  First year 106 lbs. was an IHSAA weight class.  Never qualified for state until his senior year, and was not ranked going into the state tournament.  He may have gave 3X state champ Steven Bradley the last loss of his high school career, and also owns a win against @Y2CJ41at some point during his college career 😜  Not a bad run with the legendary names of Mac Taylor, Steven Bradley, Ryan Schoettle, & Nick Hall in his bracket.

5 hours ago, rookie78 said:

Aaron Ramey, 1999 215 lb State Champ:

Aaron Ramey, Prairie Heights, pinned Matt Collins, Vincennes Lincoln, :41 Friday night.

Saturday:

Aaron Ramey, Prairie Heights, pinned Juan Alba, Hammond Gavit, :45 Quarterfinals 

Aaron Ramey, Prairie Heights, dec. Bryan Kapp, Homestead, 5-3 Semi Finals

Finals: Aaron Ramey, Prairie Heights (35-2) dec. Kevin Kemper, Lawrence North (46-4), 5-2.

Only state champ from Prairie Heights. Placed 3rd as a junior, ran into some guy name D........J..........RADNOVICH in the semi finals..

1998 State Finals matches:

Win vs. Jason Bales( Connersville) Fall 1:25
Win vs. Jeremiah Rizek( John Glenn) Dec 9-3
Loss vs. D. J. Radnovich( Gibson Southern) Fall 0:52
Win vs. Ian Spearman( Southport) Dec 11-10

Thanks, boss!  Mr. Fry was head coach at the time, right?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.