Biggest Regional Upsets

1999 The previous years 3rd place finisher Steve Minton (New Albany) defeated the previous years State Champ Robert Rossbottom (Jeffersonville) to win Regionals.  Doesn't seem like a crazy upset until you factor in a couple of things.

One: Rossbottom had defeated Minton on several previous occasions and almost everyone outside of the New Albany faithful assumed it would happen again.  And the bigger Two: This upset created the  Rossbottom vs. Dan Jankowski (EMD) ticket-round match at Semi-State.  For context, Jankowski was the returning state runner-up from the year prior.  Making this match the poster child for semi-state wrestle-back for at least the quarter-finals.

Rossbottom defeated Jankowski at semi-state by a point and moved on to eventually becoming a two time state champion.  Jankowski as a senior was done for his high school career and became one of the best to never win a state title. Steve Minton would go on to prove he was also as good as advertised by becoming state runner-up the week to Rossbottom.

Edited by MattM

1 hour ago, MattM said:

1999 The previous years 3rd place finisher Steve Minton (New Albany) defeated the previous years State Champ Robert Rossbottom (Jeffersonville) to win Regionals.  Doesn't seem like a crazy upset until you factor in a couple of things.

One: Rossbottom had defeated Minton on several previous occasions and almost everyone outside of the New Albany faithful assumed it would happen again.  And the bigger Two: This upset created the  Rossbottom vs. Dan Jankowski (EMD) ticket-round match at Semi-State.  For context, Jankowski was the returning state runner-up from the year prior.  Making this match the poster child for semi-state wrestle-back for at least the quarter-finals.

Rossbottom defeated Jankowski at semi-state by a point and moved on to eventually becoming a two time state champion.  Jankowski as a senior was done for his high school career and became one of the best to never win a state title. Steve Minton would go on to prove he was also as good as advertised by becoming state runner-up the week to Rossbottom.

Jankowski had defeated Minton at the MD classic by major or tech that season.

6 hours ago, ThatFan06 said:

I know this is not a regional upset but in 1999 Josh Birge, returning state champ at 112 got beat in the ticket round at semi-state by Andrew Bradbury by 1 point.

one of the best matches 

3 hours ago, SunDevils said:

@Christopher Bohn vs Hobart Hotdogs! 

BTW thanks for the reviews. Some of the best content on the site this year. Always an entertaining read. 

Aw shucks, you're making me blush.  I'll have the East Chicago hot dog review up tomorrow or Wednesday, and then the rematch against Hobart is Saturday.

1 hour ago, piscis1956 said:

I think it was 1998 when a pretty good but unranked wrestler from Beech Grove headlocked and pinned the 2nd ranked kid from Avon at 17x.  Real stunner at the time.  (I forget names now.)

It was current Beech Grove coach Ryan Williams pinning Tom Hartrick of Avon on the match to go to state. Down 8-0 going into the 3rd Williams chose neutral and hit it!

On 1/29/2024 at 12:37 PM, Unknown Caller said:

2012: 4 over 1. returning SQ and Al smith runner-up Kevin Marsh of West Noble was upset in the first round by Zac Wilson of Northwood. 

Then one year later at the Goshen regional, Jake Weimer of East Noble came in as the 4th seed and left as the champion, and ended up punching his ticket the next weekend.

1 hour ago, KevinHelm said:

It was current Beech Grove coach Ryan Williams pinning Tom Hartrick of Avon on the match to go to state. Down 8-0 going into the 3rd Williams chose neutral and hit it!

Thanks, I couldn’t remember.

Edited by piscis1956

11 hours ago, Caleb Spires said:

Then one year later at the Goshen regional, Jake Weimer of East Noble came in as the 4th seed and left as the champion, and ended up punching his ticket the next weekend.

To be fair……. That was a weird sectional tournament lol we all knew he shouldn’t have been 4th lol

22 hours ago, JC123 said:

About 6 years ago or so a South Spencer wrestler threw Ashton Forzley MD in a headlock the returning regional champ. 

Forzley was not the returning regional champ. The year before he lost to McDaniel from Tecumseh at regional. He placed 3rd at regional as a junior and 4th at semistate. The next year was his senior year when he was pinned by Jake Burden from South Spencer in the first round of regional.

1 hour ago, chambers said:

Forzley was not the returning regional champ. The year before he lost to McDaniel from Tecumseh at regional. He placed 3rd at regional as a junior and 4th at semistate. The next year was his senior year when he was pinned by Jake Burden from South Spencer in the first round of regional.

He got first as a sophomore 

I would include Drew Lappe from MD in 2007. He place 4th at state as a sophomore and had high hopes of placing again as a junior. He had a loaded regional and found himself going for 3rd place. He lost a close one to Price from North Posey and didn’t qualify for semi-state. 

In 1996 TJ Elbert from Columbus North Knocked off Undefeated Franklin Kid by pin at the 103 weight class, I think his name was Todd Cochran. I just remember everyone going nuts.