Most Memorable Pinfalls in the Postseason

As the postseason gets underway next week, what are some of the most memorable pinfalls you’ve seen at sectionals, regionals, semi-state or state that resulted in an upset?

Brownsburg No. 1 Logan Miller getting headlocked in the SS first round last year has to rank up there as the most stunning. Close but no cigar is Mendez almost getting pinfalled and then going on to tech Koontz in the championship.

Any others top of mind?

2 minutes ago, HawkinIndy said:

As the postseason gets underway next week, what are some of the most memorable pinfalls you’ve seen at sectionals, regionals, semi-state or state that resulted in an upset?

Brownsburg No. 1 Logan Miller getting headlocked in the SS first round last year has to rank up there as the most stunning. Close but no cigar is Mendez almost getting pinfalled and then going on to tech Koontz in the championship.

Any others top of mind?

I think when Mendez got headlocked was the loudest I've ever heard Bankers Life.

Chris Wildeman over Richie Diggs (sp?) for the state championship, Craig Weinzapfel had Alex Tsirtsis plastered to the mat but the ref wouldn't call it. Not a pin but when Brandon Cox had Josh Crick on his back in the 1994 Sectional Championship match the roof came off of the gym at MD. That single moment is the loudest I have ever heard that place, Cox won the match due to that move but did not get the pin. Long and interesting story on that one but maybe for another time.

Edited by Ahawkeye

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Joe Lee pinning Brandon James has got to be up there in my time going to state. And then Tommy Cash pinning Joe Lee in the finals. 

Came to say this. 

02' NCSS Semis, 

Terrell Coatie is comes out and b takes Defending state Champ Danny Williams down in the first 20 seconds of the match and then really pissed off Williams when TC cut him loose immediately after.

Danny not being too thrilled with the audacity of Terrell, lead to Danny coming in very heavy-handed as he pummeled into over/unders wanting to launch TC, Terrell used a Metzger to keep Danny's hips from getting his hips engaged properly, Stuffing it, as Terrell hit a half on the way down and stuck Danny in the first minute.

After the initial Roar the crowd there was a slight pause with and desfing silence for a few secs.  TC then would say one of the most cold-blooded things I've ever witnessed, as he shouted to the crowd "What? Are you not ENTERTAINED?"

Danny would go on to injury default taking fourth place at semi-state, T Coatie beat the Pike legend Steven James in the SS finals. Danny had been dealing with a ankle injury, and would redeem himself to go on and win his second State title of the following weekend, beating EMD Wildcat legend,  Alex Conkling in the finals. That reminds me that same day Jake O'Brien will qualify for state and being really bad sick, forfeited his next two matches taking fourth place as well. Imagine morning you're similar State going home and finding out you drew Danny Williams or Jake O'Brien Friday night. 

T. Coatie lost in the quarters to Bellmont great Tim Ortiz in a heartbreaker, placing 7th with that old bs Format, your placement criteria depended on how far the guy you lost to advanced.

There was a little more T.Coatie magic, when he went on to would knock off State runner-up Matt Conkling the following weekend at team-state. When we the New Castle Trojans got dog walked,

by 1 of the all time great EMD teams. TC being our only win getting mauled 66-3 and that's us having 9  SSQ/ 5 State finalists.. that is to this day in ihsaa team state record for worst feeding at teamstate LOL

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

8 hours ago, HawkinIndy said:

Any others top of mind?

Have to give credit to your #1 pick, its a good one.  but I think you're living a Rip Van Winkle moment, you must have slept through 2023 cause that didn't happen last year... 

1 hour ago, The Professor Morgan said:

Billy Naegle headlock on Dosher MD Friday night

The crowd went absolutely wild when that happened..Unfortunately That being my Weight class and my senior year, I very vividly remember how it all all played out... Naegle was a Fargo AA in greco with that nasty Headlock! 

160 was wide open That season... especially when I'm the last month of the season after my raggedy ass picked up majors over The irish' eventual 2x placer (6th&3rd) Schmaltz, South Ridges 2x State Finalist  Jared Steckler, and in the sectional finals was blessed to get the 4-1 victory over the late great Denver King of Centerville who also had been a a state finalist earlier in his career.. Dude was a  A huge 60 pounder and 1 great competitor as well. Hated hearing about his untimely passing 🙏🙏🙏

Then lost in the regional finals to my own nemesis Barnhizer 6-4. Back then it was only the top three for each Regional that advanced the SS, with the regional Champion getting a bye Saturday morning at SS. The Champ would be awaiting the winner of the #2&3 seeds  in the ticket round.

After majoring my sat morning opponent Zack webb , I returned to my usual choke artist form blowing a lead in the ticket round ,assuring once again I was going to buy my ticket to the state finals.. But learning valuable lessons I could use as cautionary tales, later in life coaching.

After #1 Dosher went down Friday night, The smoke Cleared with, 

South Bend s Adam O'Neil winning the title. Beating studs like Deutch and Keith Hodges along the way.

O'Neil  then beat Fellow NCSS foe Chaz Ervin handily in the finals 6-0 , with Naegle finishing 8th.

My son Chris wrestled 120 his sophomore year, so I was obviously paying attention to that weight class.  I remember being in East Chicago when I saw that Jared Dunn had pinned Logan Miller.  I thought it was a track wrestling error at first.  I, personally was shocked. 

Chad Ruggeri locking up some double overs and decking Dexter Lamimore for a pin and the state title was impressive.  

Daniel Young and Gavin McGinley were having a pretty intense back and forth battle all the way into the 3rd of the state final. McGinley put Young on his back and was close to a pin.  Then Young got out, hit a reversal straight into a cradle and got the fall. The crowd was way into that match.  

10 hours ago, From the Stands said:

2000 state 171lb semi’s. Marcus Schontube puts Ming Ling in a spladdle and pins him in 51 seconds.
Schontube’s senior year repeat championship was one of the most dominating years in my memory.  

Dude was a spladle machine!

18 hours ago, HawkinIndy said:

Any others top of mind?

That was Jared Dunn from Princeton.  Don't forget he pulled magic out of a hat the very next round with another headlock when he was down 11-0 to punch his ticket.

7 hours ago, MattM said:

Chad Ruggeri locking up some double overs and decking Dexter Lamimore for a pin and the state title was impressive.  

Daniel Young and Gavin McGinley were having a pretty intense back and forth battle all the way into the 3rd of the state final. McGinley put Young on his back and was close to a pin.  Then Young got out, hit a reversal straight into a cradle and got the fall. The crowd was way into that match

Just rewatched that Young/McGinley match on YouTube, few months back.  Very very underrated all time great finals match.. here's the link

https://youtu.be/gUY4xYRPa4I?si=MW59E_lBfJL8R1ha

I wish we could find the Film of Ruggeris run. 

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

5 hours ago, hogleg said:

That was Jared Dunn from Princeton.  Don't forget he pulled magic out of a hat the very next round with another headlock when he was down 11-0 to punch his ticket.

here's the DUNN HL from that day 

https://youtu.be/6yGRMXyr_ZE?si=Y-wFSDzFG8yWhT-y

On 1/19/2024 at 9:39 PM, FCFIGHTER170 said:

beating EMD Wildcat legend,  Alex Conkling in the finals.

…State runner-up Alex Conkling the following weekend at team-state.

No offense, but if I’m not mistaken, isn’t his name Matt Conkling?

Edited by ScottHenze