Unlocked Potential

blueandgold

Who are some guys who didn’t really hit their stride until after high school? A couple that come to mind include Sam Osho of Avon and Jack Servies of Perry Meridian, both were teammates at Marian.

Osho was only a semi-state qualifier in high school, but in college he managed to become a five-time national qualifier and All-American in 2022, placing third at 184 lbs. and ahead of former D1 wrestler, two-time state champion, and Super 32 champion Blake Rypel.

Servies only qualified for state once as a junior in 2017, but later became a two-time All-American, placing sixth twice and racking up wins over numerous state champions including Blake Rypel in a decision.

Who are some other names that realized their true potential after high school?

6 minutes ago, QuinnHarris said:

Kailan Keith was only a Semi State Qualifier, last year as a true sophomore was a National Qualifier at Thomas More and is current ranked in the country at 157

KK was definitely one I thought would be at the state tournament, but I’m glad to hear he’s making his stride.

Dylan Lydy was a state champ for Ben Davis and a really good wrestler all four years, but he got so much better at Purdue. Two time blood rounder and had a great shot to place when NCAAs were cancelled in 2020. 

And for my Alma mater, Chase Wilson from Maconaquah ended up having a great career wrestling for Manchester, I believe finishing just shy of being an AA. 

3 minutes ago, Silence Dogood said:

Nick Lee

Nick Lee was a state champion and two-time Fargo champion in high school. He definitely isn’t one I’m thinking of for this group of names as it was pretty clear where he was headed after the announcement of the Penn State commitment his sophomore year.

Edited by blueandgold

11 minutes ago, QuinnHarris said:

Kailan Keith was only a Semi State Qualifier, last year as a true sophomore was a National Qualifier at Thomas More and is current ranked in the country at 157

Dude had to come through 2 semistates in the same year. #Mooresvillesemistate 

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

Dylan Lydy was a state champ for Ben Davis and a really good wrestler all four years, but he got so much better at Purdue. Two time blood rounder and had a great shot to place when NCAAs were cancelled in 2020. 

And for my Alma mater, Chase Wilson from Maconaquah ended up having a great career wrestling for Manchester, I believe finishing just shy of being an AA. 

Two good ones right there. I still vividly remember Wilson vs Aldrich in that ticket round match. 

1 hour ago, igotcaught said:

Riley Lefever 

Pretty sure this answer should be the standard bearer for all other responses.  He was a quality wrestler in HS but found a whole new level after that.  Not just a 4x D3 champions, Riley was right there with the top guys for a world team position at one point. 

I’d even take this category out to high school senior that had a major break out year. Going from barely a SS qualifier as a junior to a high state placer definitely fits the idea here.  Sure they may not have got the career accolades to get a decent offer to wrestle in college but a solid late bloomers none the less. 

Edited by MattM

6 minutes ago, MattM said:

Pretty sure this answer should be the test to have all other responses.  He was definitely a quality wrestler in HS but found a whole new level after.  Was wrestling some of the top guys for a world team position at one point. 

I’d even take this category out to high school senior that had a major break out year. Going from barely a SS qualifier as a junior to a high state placer definitely fits the idea here.  Sure they may not have got the career accolades to get a decent offer to wrestle in college but a solid late bloomers none the less. 

Thomas Penola

6 hours ago, blueandgold said:

Nick Lee was a state champion and two-time Fargo champion in high school. He definitely isn’t one I’m thinking of for this group of names as it was pretty clear where he was headed after the announcement of the Penn State commitment his sophomore year.

But if you see how much he improved once he hit college it is easy to see he truly hit a new level. I'm not saying he dominated Red in college but the matches they had at that level you could clearly see he had leap froged Red. That's no small feat considering Red's obvious success on the highschool level.

If not for covid we may have seen Lee vs Pletcher 3 in the NCAA finals and seen Lee pick up his first title there instead of the following year against Eierman. Last point to make on this, although I believe 141 was too big for Stevan Micic to wrestle Lee also avenged his loss to Micic. If these wins aren't showing "unlocked potential" I don't know what does, Nick went from "almost there" to "not goona catch him" against these opponents.

11 hours ago, igotcaught said:

Riley Lefever 

Agree on Riley Lefever.  My son Owen wrestled with him at Wabash.  Owen made it to Nationals his freshman year in (2017 placing 7th All-American) and Riley was going for his 4th Title that year.   He was 35-3 and had only lost to D1 wrestlers (but beaten more than he lost to).  I have never to this day seen a more dominant wrestler.  We just knew he was going to win every match.  Coming into the Championship bout we needed Riley to pin his guy for us to get 3rd as a Team.  He went out and looked like he wanted to enjoy the moment for a period then he pinned his guy in the second period and Wabash was 3rd ahead of Johnson & Wales  62.5 to 61.5.  Just an incredible accomplishment for him and the whole Wabash team and fans.  What was even better was at the after party, as the fans and coaches and wrestlers were having the time of our lives and passing the NCAA Team trophy around, I found Riley and my other son Easton, then 11 years old,  in the corner of the restaurant talking at a table about wrestling.  Riley was asking Easton about his recent tournament and asking him how many take downs he had and how many points he scored.  Not just a great wrestler but a great human being!!!  

17436260_1387280917995270_1922415963170519237_o.jpg

036.JPG

IMG_2464.JPG

IMG_2468.JPG

6 hours ago, Ahawkeye said:

But if you see how much he improved once he hit college it is easy to see he truly hit a new level. I'm not saying he dominated Red in college but the matches they had at that level you could clearly see he had leap froged Red. That's no small feat considering Red's obvious success on the highschool level.

If not for covid we may have seen Lee vs Pletcher 3 in the NCAA finals and seen Lee pick up his first title there instead of the following year against Eierman. Last point to make on this, although I believe 141 was too big for Stevan Micic to wrestle Lee also avenged his loss to Micic. If these wins aren't showing "unlocked potential" I don't know what does, Nick went from "almost there" to "not goona catch him" against these opponents.

I’m not disagreeing with any of this, I guess my initial thought was the guys who didn’t do much before or weren’t considered “blue chip recruits” and ended up being undeniable.