Nick Lee Indiana Goat?

13 hours ago, igotcaught said:

I don't like the Gable argument because he would have that impact on any weight class in most era's. I'd look at it like, no matter who you are, 125-285 they won only because Gable wasn't there. Gable is one of the greatest USA wrestlers we have ever seen, Yianni D is lucky Gable was never his weight. 

I only said this because of the quote below. 

Also, Gable has always been a HWT and will never be anything else. Everyone is lucky Vito wasn't in their weight. IMO at the end of the season Vito looked and wrestled the best out of everyone.

On 5/9/2023 at 8:58 AM, ReformedPoster said:

I just think that in the totality of somebody's career, if you want to be considered the GOAT then you have to do it at all levels.  High School(minimum state champ), College(minimum National Champ), International(minimum sr world/olympic medal).  Right now we have a bunch of guys that have accomplished 2 of the 3.  Angel, Howe, Nick Lee, Parris, Micic.  IMO those are your 5 candidates for the IN GOAT at this time.  Of that group, only Lee and Parris have a chance to still get that 3rd milestone.  Parris does have a Jr world title, so that would tip the scales in his favor if neither Lee nor Parris get that sr world/olympic medal

On 5/12/2023 at 12:51 PM, brickfor6 said:

I only said this because of the quote below. 

So your point was that Parris wouldn't be in the position of possibly winning the triple-crown (HS title, NCAA title & World title) if Gable had not retired.

OK, but you compared his NCAA title to Micic avoiding the process of making the US team. Which are two totally different things. Micic had the choice of attempting to make the US team or the Serbian team. He choose the easier of the two. Not faulting him, as I have already said most would do the same. Intelligent people succeed by taking advantage of the oppotunities afforded to them. Parris didn't choose to avoid Gable. Was he fortunate that Gable retired? Absolutely, but it is no different than had Gable graduated.

But most important here is that once Gable was out of the way, Parris got it done. Micic never had a generational talent like Gable in his way in college, yet he never managed to win a title. He had a very nice college career & lost to some very good wrestlers but noone with the pedigree of Gable. Gable won an Olympic title at the age of 21, beating a legendary multi-time world champ in the process.

Edited by SIACfan

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/8/2023 at 11:34 AM, GenHeavyHandz said:

That's because you support Mater Dei so you want the criteria to favor your wrestler.  You don't determine the rules. The World .knows Amine.  There is a World beyond Evansville.  Olympic Medals count to everyone.  Ask a random kid would you like to win 2 NCAA Championships or a World Medal as an adult? You already know the answer.

You're full of sh*t.  You have no idea what I think, other than to fail to read and interpret what I say incorrectly.  To bring MD into this means you had a preconceived notion of what I think.  Sadly, it's not accurate.  

On 5/11/2023 at 9:02 PM, brickfor6 said:

I think the best Folkstyle wrestler is Nick Lee. 

Micic was ranked #2 in the nation before moving up to 141 where he was a 24 seed at the NCAA tourney. The rest of the world wrestles freestyle though… and Micic was 3rd best in the world. 

3rd or 4th, since their are 2 bronze medals awarded.  Personally I think that's stupid, but they don't ask me and it's done in boxing (and other sports?) as well.

Now cue up the replies that make it out that this means I'm against Micic and biased for Nick Lee.  Facts aside, of course...

8 minutes ago, Ahawkeye said:

Will Lee vs. Yani match be on flo?

Yes Final X will be streamed through FloWrestling today.  Looks like the broadcast starts at 12:30 for the true-3rd matches and then 2pm for best of three series to determine the World Team spot.  With each of the three mats dedicated to a specific style. 

Edited by MattM

In related news, Sarah Hildebrandt and Kayla Miracle both swept 2 matches and earned World Team spots on the Women's Freestyle team.  

Hildebrandt, in her 4th Final X appearance has yet to give up a single point in any of them. She won 8-0 and 11-0 today.  She has outscored opponents 64-0 in 8 total matches.  

To me andrew howe is an easy pick as the GOAT of indiana! Hard not to believe that when we can say he was close in matches to the actual GOAT jordan Burroughs. Jordan Burroughs would hurt after wrestling howe and one can say for a number of years howe was the 2nd best wrestler in the WORLD behind the US goat. 

1. Howe

2. Micic

On 6/9/2023 at 5:52 PM, SWINfan said:

You're full of sh*t.  You have no idea what I think, other than to fail to read and interpret what I say incorrectly.  To bring MD into this means you had a preconceived notion of what I think.  Sadly, it's not accurate.  

Such a visceral response.  Calm down it’s a message board.  A forum.  I didn’t swear I gave my opinion: if I’m wrong just say that. I mean your handle is Southwest Indiana Fan so I guess I was wayyyyyyyyyyyyy off.   300 miles and the inter web can distort reality for some people and they just spew anything.  When I say people : I mean you.  Im not him .  So I’m take this as late Spring, boredom: I get it.  Other than that : I said what I said and I’m standing on that ish: you don’t determine ish.

Edited by GenHeavyHandz

I think Nick Lee will have the best coaching career out of all the possible GOATs - at the Spring Clinic he already sounded like a mature, seasoned coach - super impressed

Would not surprise me if he coaches at whatever level (HS/college) and ends up with champion teams

Edited by patriotfan

1 hour ago, patriotfan said:

I think Nick Lee will have the best coaching career out of all the possible GOATs - at the Spring Clinic he already sounded like a mature, seasoned coach - super impressed

Would not surprise me if he coaches at whatever level (HS/college) and ends up with champion teams

I know Reece Humphrey is on the outer perimeter of the Indiana GOAT wrestler talk but he’s got to be moving up the list in the Coaching discussion.  He’s been helping to develop many top Senior level Trials guys and a few World level wrestlers over the last several years. 

On 6/10/2023 at 7:54 PM, SWINfan said:

In related news, Sarah Hildebrandt and Kayla Miracle both swept 2 matches and earned World Team spots on the Women's Freestyle team.  

Hildebrandt, in her 4th Final X appearance has yet to give up a single point in any of them. She won 8-0 and 11-0 today.  She has outscored opponents 64-0 in 8 total matches.  

Sarah near the top of the Indiana Goat list regardless of gender . 

On 6/11/2023 at 2:10 PM, MattM said:

I know Reece Humphrey is on the outer perimeter of the Indiana GOAT wrestler talk but he’s got to be moving up the list in the Coaching discussion.  He’s been helping to develop many top Senior level Trials guys and a few World level wrestlers over the last several years. 

He even won freestyle coach of the year a few years back. 

• 3 months later...

Micic and Parris adding to their resumes.

Micic just knocked off the Olympic champ Russian and will be in the World semis at 1045am.

(For all the "he couldn't make our team" haters...our US rep Richards went 1-and-done)

Parris wrestles for World bronze during the 12pm finals. 

6 minutes ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Oh and he just beat the reigning world champ to punch his ticket to the gold medal match

Yes he did. World championships the year before the Olympics is just as hard as the Olympics. You get every nation's best, at their best--because it's an Olympic qualifying tournament.

Stevan Micic is into the gold medal match after knocking off the 2021 Olympic champ and 2022 reigning World champ in back-to-back matches.

Our suspicions were correct. Stevan Micic is an all-time great.

Edited by maligned

9 minutes ago, Ahawkeye said:

I am NOT saying Micic has not proven himself but did he wrestle in the US open? If so what were the results there? Also I was under the impression that Micic did not wrestle at an Olympic weight?

Doesn’t wrestle the open and had to wrestle 57 to qualify the weight for the olympics next year.