NCAA Division I Nationals Results & Discussion Thread

6 minutes ago, RAJR said:

Obviously, don't know what's going on behind the scenes with Lee or Iowa. Seems like somethings been up all season to me. I thought he would FFT last night after the loss. If he won, bet he would be wrestling tonight. Some "funny" comments I have seen:

- I guess excuses are for wusses unless you lose.

- He's with his mom getting new glasses.

- He's too good for wrestlebacks.

Bottom line, hope he is ok and loved watching him compete. One of the most dominant of all time. Wish it would have ended differently, but honestly, he doesn't owe us anything.

Mentally I think it would do him some good to get to the arena at some point and soak up the appreciation for his complete career, as well as, connect with his coaches and team.   Going to take awhile to get over this type of disappointment especially if his body isn’t helping him, but I think being there for part of the day can help the road to putting some of this in perspective better than staying away. 

Edited by MattM

I'm not a big fan of bowing out.  Of course, no one cares what I think.  But all of the things everyone always says about wrestling and how it builds character, sets you up for life, teaches life lessons, etc. seems to get thrown out the window with bailing.  Could he be hurt?  It's possible, but I'd be willing to bet it's his pride that's hurt.  

As others have said, I think it would have been good for him to bounce back, a challenge to get your mind right to come back, compete and overcome such disappointment.  And moving past that, coming back to the arena would be good for him.  I suspect, and just guessing, he'll be back tonight in support of Real Woods and will get his swan song/recognition then.  Life is hard and teaches cruel lessons at times.  Some bounce back better and quicker than others.  Time will tell how his story plays out.  

I'll go back to the OT rules with riding time as a tiebreaker.  Yes, I know you still have to wrestle, but with a guy being able to choose neutral in the 2nd period is almost allowing the match to be decided by the coin flip.  

Back to wrestling.... Lucas Davison just got stuck by Wyatt Hendrickson and will wrestling for 5th.  It was 2-1 before the fall, yet an exciting scrap.  Throw attempts, some scrambling and just two guys going at it.  HWT used to be a snooze fest.  Not so much these days!

I don't recall them doing this before, but they are running all 7th/8th Place matches at the same time on 4 mats.  I always thought they did 3 mats and all 3 placement matches at each weight together.  Am I nuts (in reference to this)?  Is this new? Update: Now they are doing all 5th Place matches at once.  Don't recall seeing this format in the past.

Other random thoughts...  I know Killian Cardinale was a past All-American but seeing 27 vs 28 seeds wrestling for 7th place is pretty cool.  Ventresca def Cardinale 7-6.

@133 - Sam Latona finished 7th to become a 2x AA.  Alabama doesn't produce many NCAA wrestlers and while I now live in AL, I haven't followed wrestling here beyond the surface.  But Latona is from about 10 minutes from where I live and Thompson HS is one of the few consistently top programs here.  Thought it was cool seeing a kid from here, where wrestling is an afterthought, continue to succeed.

Parker Filius did a nice job getting the win for 7th Place.  Purdue has had a nice tournament.

Edited by SWINfan

More randomness...

I have mixed feelings on ESPN's coverage at times, but there is no doubt they have made it 100x better than it used to be.  

But the interviews of Will Feldkamp from Clarion and Max Dean do a great job of showing what wrestling is all about and why we love this sport.  If you have access to ESPN's broadcast and missed it, find the interviews.  It's worth the watch.

Nebraska's Brock Hardy tried to go, but couldn't do it and had to injury default out of his 5th Place match.  He was bent over in pain, and looks to have some kind of rib injury.  But had the gumption to shake hands and walk to the opposing coaches to shake their hands before leaving the mat.  He was in serious pain.   And on the flip side, the injury default gave SD State's Clay Carlsson his 100th career win.  

Edited by SWINfan

12 minutes ago, maligned said:

Geez, Hendrickson is an absolute animal. Him against Parris would be very, very interesting. It's always interesting to see guys make a big jump from year to year

The guy was a pinning machine this season.  Safe to say he’s not the AF guy that’s will specializing in flying those planes. 

58 minutes ago, maligned said:

Geez, Hendrickson is an absolute animal. Him against Parris would be very, very interesting. It's always interesting to see guys make a big jump from year to year

Pretty sure they wrestled at CKLV this year.

Edited by bigballerb

2 hours ago, maligned said:

Parris handled him at the Cliff Keen in December, 12-5.

CK.jpg

So Indiana ended up with 3 AA's this year - Parris Champ, L. Davison 5th & Mendez 6th. Is this correct or am I missing someone?

Also, B1G only got 3 Champs. When was the last time the B1G conference had that few champs?

7 hours ago, SIACfan said:

So Indiana ended up with 3 AA's this year - Parris Champ, L. Davison 5th & Mendez 6th. Is this correct or am I missing someone?

Also, B1G only got 3 Champs. When was the last time the B1G conference had that few champs?

Nice fact. Hopefully this continues. Great for college wrestling. Spread the wealth, so that the sport doesn’t dry up around the country. 

On 3/18/2023 at 10:33 AM, SWINfan said:

I'm not a big fan of bowing out.  Of course, no one cares what I think.  But all of the things everyone always says about wrestling and how it builds character, sets you up for life, teaches life lessons, etc. seems to get thrown out the window with bailing.  Could he be hurt?  It's possible, but I'd be willing to bet it's his pride that's hurt.  

As others have said, I think it would have been good for him to bounce back, a challenge to get your mind right to come back, compete and overcome such disappointment.  And moving past that, coming back to the arena would be good for him.  I suspect, and just guessing, he'll be back tonight in support of Real Woods and will get his swan song/recognition then.  Life is hard and teaches cruel lessons at times.  Some bounce back better and quicker than others.  Time will tell how his story plays out.  

This exact thing happens every year at world team trials and every 4 years at the olympic trials.  Once the dream of being the rep for the US, guys have ff'd out of the consolations many many times. 

Maybe people are viewing it differently because it is college and the whole team aspect, but Iowa had a team trophy wrapped up and they had no shot to catch Penn St.  Now, if they needed him to wrestle back to third in order to win the national championship, I believe he would have wrestled, hurt or not.

23 minutes ago, ReformedPoster said:

This exact thing happens every year at world team trials and every 4 years at the olympic trials.  Once the dream of being the rep for the US, guys have ff'd out of the consolations many many times.

I definitely believe there is a big difference between the NCAA's & the US team trials. But I won't pass judgement on Spencer Lee for ff'ing out. I have no idea what his reasons were.

Now, if they needed him to wrestle back to third in order to win the national championship, I believe he would have wrestled, hurt or not.

I agree that this is very likely.

The biggest observation I took from that shocking upset was the reaction of his mother. I would expect complete devastation & heartbreak from a mother in that situation. But what I witnessed appeared to me to be rage. She was mad & had the need to destroy something (her glasses). To me her reaction was telling.

I know everyone handles victory & defeat differently, but handling both with dignity is something to be respected. We've all seen competitors that are heartbroken after defeat & we've all seen the ones who throw a hissy-fit as well.

Sportsmanship & dignity are important values.

8 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

Maybe people are viewing it differently because it is college and the whole team aspect, but Iowa had a team trophy wrapped up and they had no shot to catch Penn St.  Now, if they needed him to wrestle back to third in order to win the national championship, I believe he would have wrestled, hurt or not.

I don't see there being any connection between those scenarios.  No one else FF'd out.  Several former champions kept wrestling while their team wasn't in the race.  I don't know the inside scoop, but I have a guess.  At least he showed up for the medal presentation.