NCAA Division I Nationals Results & Discussion Thread

Jesse Mendez won his 1st round match with a 12-4 Major.  

Purdue got wins from Ramos (3-2) and Filius (8-3). Some early upsets, including a few of Big Ten wrestlers...

13-seed Dean Peterson, Rutgers

12-seed Michael DeAugustino, Northwestern

12-seed Chris Cannon, Northwestern
11-seed Dylan Ragusin, Michigan

A few other notes:
- Former All-American (and the last to beat Nick Lee in the NCAA Tournament, I believe) Dom Demas transferred to Cal Poly and did not qualify.  He got the call as an alternate and stepped in as the 33 seed at 149, and promptly won by tech fall in the pig tail match and will face Yianni in the next round.  I believe they said he was recovering from an injury.  Will make for an interesting match early on.

- WV's Killian Cardinale was 10-1 coming off a knee injury and got the 28 seed,  He won a 3-2 over 5-seed Caleb Smith of App State.

- Brandon Kaylor, 7 seed lost to 26-seed Jack Wagner of NC.

- Lucas Bird won 13-10 over Iowa's Brody Teske. Not an upset per se, but an Iowa loss early is notable, and Teske is dangerous.

Edited by SWINfan
added stuff

Graham Rooks picks up a 4-3 win in his first round match and will face 4-seed Caleb Henson of VT.

Shayne Van Ness of Penn St. was down 8-0 early and 8-1 after 2 periods.  Then started a takedown clinic in the 3rd period getting 3 in a row before winning by fall.  

Wrote this in another thread: so much chalk so far! That always means a calm before the storm because it makes that second round VERY interesting for all the big names. 

197's higher seeds went 17-0. Ha

Ramos got a takedown with 10 seconds left in 2OT and down a point. Huge win

great win for Rooks over a very tough Henson!  Also fantastic job to advance for Purdue’s Filius!

hopefully Washington and Coleman can fight back through the consi rds 

1 minute ago, Yotti4 said:

Rooks goes up big early and just about pulls out the W against VanNess. Unfortunately SVN was able to mount yet another late comeback. He will have either Demas or Blockhus next and if he wins that he will likely have either Gomez or Murin in the blood round

When Rooks was attacking he was scoring.  I wish he kept trying to score and not keep getting backed to the edge to get those stall calles

Just now, nk140 said:

When Rooks was attacking he was scoring.  I wish he kept trying to score and not keep getting backed to the edge to get those stall calles

Sadly you see it a lot.  When an aggressive wrestler stops being aggressive and goes into protective mode (whether intentional or not), bad things happen