NCAA Division I Nationals Results & Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

Holy crap!  Mendez got a takedown with 4 seconds left in OT to take a 3-2 lead and then let him up to tie at 3.  But Byrd had chosen down and took 17 seconds to escape.  Mendez chose neutral so Byrd had no riding time and Jesse gets the win.  

Personally, I don't like that rule and how it can be manipulated.  If riding time is the tie breaker, I don't think you should be able to choose neutral.  Nonetheless, kudos to Jesse and OSU for taking advantage of the rules in place.  And KUDOS to him for getting the late takedown when Byrd chose to retreat rather than wrestle.  We discussed that and the often negative results that happen too often.  

Congrats, All-American Jesse Mendez!

Jesse does it again under the same scenario, also had Labriola not got the late TD, would have been the same situation. 

This rule needs fixed.

They’re gonna be making 30 for 30s about tonight and I’ll be watching from ShadyAcres. Both about Purdue. Crazy. The Ramos post match interview was Vision Quest material. 

Bummed for Rooks.#BigFan 

Bummed for Lee..and momma Lee. The sport is just brutal. Can you imagine thinking your going to a coronation to make history and making history…but in the exact opposite scenario you thought….damn. The lees experienced the one thing 99.9% of all wrestling parents feel…that hopeless feeling you get knowing all your kid put into it for months/years/decades, and not coming out on top. A most humbling part of the sport. But a part nonetheless. 

Edited by UncleJimmy

And way to frickin’ go on this weekend, Jesse. Three straight overtime grinders against very, very quality opponents in the three highest stake matches of his season. Grinding out all of the overtime matches really shows both an incredible gas tank and confidence for a freshman facing multiple former AAs. And even avenging two of his losses this season in the process. Incredible freshman season for one of Indiana’s finest ever, I’m still on cloud 9 that my favorite program is the one that landed him.

13 minutes ago, Caleb Spires said:

BREAKING NEWS:

Mason Parris’ application with the Iowa adoption agency has gone through! As of March 17, 2023, Mason Parris is officially Tony Cassioppi’s father. ❤️ 

No reason at all to spout such idiocy. Mason had a good game plan and was the aggressor today, despite his close match during the regular season with Cass.  Mason is very humble when he wins,  and loses.  Maybe learn some sportsmanship from him.

I don’t feel too badly for the Lee’s. That whole family is used to nothing but winning. It’s about time he feels the sting of defeat like the rest of us mortals. On the real though, Spencer is an all time great. Perhaps age and injury got to be too much for him? Lee is still a legend of our sport. 

Edited by ILUV2PIN

Concur. That’s why I don’t think he should default out. He deserves a hand raised and standing ovation..even if not as champ. I’m  disappointed he’d quit…unless injured. 

I also totally forgot that he lost his last high school match in epic fashion. What a documentary in the future. 

Edited by UncleJimmy

6 minutes ago, UncleJimmy said:

Concur. That’s why I don’t think he should default out. He deserves a hand raised and standing ovation..even if not as champ. A not disappointed he’d quit…unless injured. 

I also totally forgot that he lost his last high school match in epic fashion. What a documentary in the future. 

Great point..wow.

Funny, I came here to give him credit for getting up off the mat, shaking hands, and moving away. Saw a lot of laying and sulking yesterday, and I am always impressed when someone in complete athletic devastation has the respect for their opponent, themselves, and the sport to just get up, shake hands, and do whatever is needed to cope behind closed doors. We shouldn’t hope Spencer Lee is injured, but I agree, we should hope he didn’t just throw in the towel. 

Ramos is interesting to watch because I have the feeling he can score on his feet anytime he wants when he's committed and fearless. But if he's facing a lesser or "equal" opponent, he seems to fall into a standard conservative approach that leaves behind much of his toolbelt. Then he can be beaten. If he approaches Glory like an equal, he'll get dominated tonight. If we see his fearless version, it will be an incredible match.

32 minutes ago, bigballerb said:

The style matchup makes me nervous for Ramos against Glory. 

Yeah, we definitely shouldnt be fooled because of the upset. Glory is the clear favorite. Ramos will need to produce another special performance.

1 minute ago, bigballerb said:

Saw some Iowa people saying he’s been hurt since mid-season. Sounds like this was all or nothing coming into it.

Guess it depends on the injury if going more today could potentially make it worse or not. 

Obviously, don't know what's going on behind the scenes with Lee or Iowa. Seems like somethings been up all season to me. I thought he would FFT last night after the loss. If he won, bet he would be wrestling tonight. Some "funny" comments I have seen:

- I guess excuses are for wusses unless you lose.

- He's with his mom getting new glasses.

- He's too good for wrestlebacks.

Bottom line, hope he is ok and loved watching him compete. One of the most dominant of all time. Wish it would have ended differently, but honestly, he doesn't owe us anything.

Like seeing Jesse battle back in the consols and look make adjustments in rematches vs past opponents.  Definitely signs of great things to come for this kid.  

Edited by MattM