Biggest Friday night upset ever

10 hours ago, TysonNisley said:

Codei Khawaja of Floyd Central was also nationally ranked last year and lost to JJ Braun Friday night. That's a pretty big upset that's a little more recent.

It was but Khawaja also came into the state finals with a bum ankle or knee if memory serves. Upset in terms of rankings but he was not close to 100%. You could see it in the match and when his coaches walked him back to the tunnel, one under each arm.

On 2/13/2023 at 6:19 AM, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Billy naegle pinning #1 Nathan Dosher of EMD @160 in 04' is up there, Dosher had 1 loss out of state and was on a roll and Billy hit that nasty headlock and it was good night sweet prince 

Nastiest headlocker I've ever seen!

1 hour ago, Steven Sandefer said:

Nastiest headlocker I've ever seen!

The Legend that is Naegle. I wrestled on Team Indiana in the 2003 National Duals with Naegle on the Greco team... Can't remember the exact score, but he won one of his matches like 25-18, hitting nearly a dozen headlocks in the process

The Coaches on both sides were struggling to hold back their laughter

Unfortunately this was Saturday morning at New Castle in 1985 since we didn’t have a Friday night. If my fading memory serves me right, former CG coach Mike Trulock(18-14) wrestling for Beech Grove then, made it as an alternate 4 seed and defeated a then undefeated and I believe ranked #1 or #2 Paul Richey of Laporte. 

9 hours ago, HawkinIndy said:

It was but Khawaja also came into the state finals with a bum ankle or knee if memory serves. Upset in terms of rankings but he was not close to 100%. You could see it in the match and when his coaches walked him back to the tunnel, one under each arm.

If memory serves me he was also sick as a dog at semi state last year aswell. Was probably still dealing with that aswell

19 hours ago, richyy253 said:

If memory serves me he was also sick as a dog at semi state last year aswell. Was probably still dealing with that aswell

Codei was battling illness from Sectionals on that he could never fully kick. Then in the closing seconds of Semi-State 3rd/4th match he rolled his ankle pretty severely.  Codei was not able to practice hard for the last month of the season.  In all honestly it took an enormous amount of will power and courage to even step out on the mat at the State Finals.  I am not taking anything away from JJ Braun as he came out and did what he needed to do to win.

With all of the great wrestlers our program has had Codei is probably on our Mount Rushmore without ever placing at state.  He's a 3x Fargo All-American.  I honestly don't think he is close to done and we will be hearing his name for some time!

On 2/14/2023 at 8:32 AM, busstogate said:

Maybe not the most huge upset due to the winner, but 2015 120 Tyler Ferguson  from Reitz over defending state champ at 106 Jeremiah Reitz from Griffith 17-13.

So, yes, that reads Ferguson from Reitz over Reitz from Griffith. It takes what it takes.

Found it!  Here is the match on video.  FF to the 42:17 mark to see this wild match!

Tyler Fergusen vs. Defending State Champ Jeremiah Reitz - Friday Night 2015 - FF to 42:17

25 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Found it!  Here is the match on video.  FF to the 42:17 mark to see this wild match!

Tyler Fergusen vs. Defending State Champ Jeremiah Reitz - Friday Night 2015 - FF to 42:17

Seems like a lot of good matches from 2015. On Mat 3, after Alston Bane upsets McCormick, Tavonte Malone and Blake Jourdan have an absolute slugfest. Malone got out to a 9-1 lead and Jourdan storms all the way back to win 12-11.

On 2/14/2023 at 9:53 AM, NavyGonzo said:

The Legend that is Naegle. I wrestled on Team Indiana in the 2003 National Duals with Naegle on the Greco team... Can't remember the exact score, but he won one of his matches like 25-18, hitting nearly a dozen headlocks in the process

The Coaches on both sides were struggling to hold back their laughter

I remember Naegle on that Junior Duals team.  It was wild

105 lbs 1985 Robbie Reel Muncie Southside over my uncle Darryn Swanson South Bend LaSalle a 4 over a 1.  Darryn  was the 98lb state runner up from the year prior and was ranked first or second and was undefeated.  He never lost another match in high school, blowing out his knees  after winning the Al Smith his senior year.

Edited by GenHeavyHandz

4 hours ago, ForemanMA said:

1988 Jeff Pease 38-0 Friday slams the guy( which it was a slam ) guy gets back wrestles like 25-30 sec more and goes back down. They DQ Jeff. Market Square went crazy!!

Wow!!  Was there a different rule back in the day that allowed a DQ after the fact if the injury was deemed to have happened from the slam?  That's crazy