Best/Most Accomplished wrestler During and After HS to come out of Indiana is?

HCman

When you consider HS, College and Freestyle post-college, it is either Angel or Howe.  Nick Lee can certainly join or surpass these two if/when he makes a world team and medals.  Mason Parris is another that can join the top tier if he wins NCAA this year and then medals at the world's/olympics

48 minutes ago, Legridn said:

My vote is for The Ultimate Warrior.  Raised in Crawfordsville, Indiana.  Went on to be a 2 time WWF intercontinental champ, and a 1 time WWE champ.   Hard to be 3 world titles !

Not to hard to beat that says Bloomington born Mick Foley. Another little known fact is the Funk family is originally from Hammond which includes the patriarch Dory Funk a 2 time IHSAA state champ and IHSWCA and National Amateur wrestling Hall of Fame member. Sorry to high jack the thread but it had to be said.

On a serious note we usually have about i one these like this each year.  I’m not at a spot to search it up currently but maybe someone can link the most recent one from earlier. this season to this one. 

Edited by MattM

The fact Stevan Micic hasn’t been mentioned is wild. He’s the only male world medalist from Indiana wrestling right now and was also at the Olympics. Not positive but is he the only world medalist from Indiana? Did Howe ever do that?

Sarah is the top female no doubt, Kayla is close but just not the accomplishments Sarah has right now!

9 minutes ago, QuinnHarris said:

Not positive but is he the only world medalist from Indiana?

Indiana University, I believe all by way of Bloomington HS, had a few pre-WWII ones. Richard Voliva Olympic Sliver and I believe there was another. 

1 hour ago, Legridn said:

My vote is for The Ultimate Warrior.  Raised in Crawfordsville, Indiana.  Went on to be a 2 time WWF intercontinental champ, and a 1 time WWE champ.   Hard to be 3 world titles !

If you are going with “professional wrestlers”, I have to go with Dick the Bruiser, “world’s most dangerous wrestler.  😀

P.s.  The Bruiser was born in Delphi, and he was a Green Bay Packers player, too.

Edited by piscis1956
Adding P.s.

Katie Downing Kriebel

Winning record as a senior competing at 140. Quite possibly first girl to earn a sectional placing (third) not by forfeits.

Placed third at Sunkist Open fall of senior season. Weight class champion at the first girls high school nationals (award for most falls in least time-championship match fall in under 30 seconds). Wrestled at first women's college program (University of Minnesota-Morris). In first class of athletes to be part of resident athlete program at USOTC. Member of U.S. National team for 8 years. Multi-time U.S. Nationals champion. World Junior silver medalist. Two time Senior World bronze medalist. Gold medal at World Cup. Beijing Olympics alternate. Assistant coach at Oklahoma City University. Current assistant coach for USA Women's Senior National team.

14 hours ago, Disco said:

damn! Do you monitor every post on here? 

My new Indianamat Notifications is on. Only World Team Members as myself get this privilege and credentials as full fledge Indianamat guru. Sooooo… I’m almost like .25 administrators level now .
behold k-pop GIFShould be getting my full fledge World Champion badge here soon. Then I can control what people say about me . I ain’t bragging though 😂 

Jim Carrey GIF

Edited by TeamGarcia
Spell check

3 hours ago, MattM said:

Not to hard to beat that says Bloomington born Mick Foley. Another little known fact is the Funk family is originally from Hammond which includes the patriarch Dory Funk a 2 time IHSAA state champ and IHSWCA and National Amateur wrestling Hall of Fame member. Sorry to high jack the thread but it had to be said.

On a serious note we usually have about i one these like this each year.  I’m not at a spot to search it up currently but maybe someone can link the most recent one from earlier. this season to this one. 

Something something 1998 Hell in a Cell, sixteen feet through the announcers table. Lol 

Mick Foley is my favorite professional wrestler. Too bad his politics are in worse shape than his ear, I'd have loved his run at stand-up comedy otherwise 

Edited by Coplen187

1 hour ago, Coplen187 said:

Something something 1998 Hell in a Cell, sixteen feet through the announcers table. Lol 

Mick Foley is my favorite professional wrestler. Too bad his politics are in worse shape than his ear, I'd have loved his run at stand-up comedy otherwise 

Seriously? WTH? I'd hate to be defined by or calling out a legend of wrasslin' cuz of stupid politics. Mick is a good dude that put his awkward body on the line every night to please fans like you, just so you can bring up politics on a HS Wrestling Forum 

Mick is a legend. You? 

12 hours ago, QuinnHarris said:

The fact Stevan Micic hasn’t been mentioned is wild. He’s the only male world medalist from Indiana wrestling right now and was also at the Olympics. Not positive but is he the only world medalist from Indiana? Did Howe ever do that?

Sarah is the top female no doubt, Kayla is close but just not the accomplishments Sarah has right now!

Does it matter that he had to leave the Country in order to qualify for a team?? 

13 hours ago, QuinnHarris said:

It's tough to compare Howe in general. His international results suggest he was a perennial medal-level guy for 5-6 years, but he was behind arguably our greatest freestyler ever in Jordan Burroughs. I would have argued during a 2 or 3 year stretch at Howe's best, that he was the 3rd or 4th best pound-for-pound freestyler/folkstyler/whatever in the United States. But there's only space for one on the national team at each weight. So he's not as "accomplished" as some others, but he wins all the theoretical head-to-heads in my mind. Ha.

1 hour ago, jets said:

Does it matter that he had to leave the Country in order to qualify for a team?? 

He did what he had to do. He’s on an Olympic team the others aren’t. You can’t take anything away from him for taking an opportunity and making the most of it! 

29 minutes ago, QuinnHarris said:

He did what he had to do. He’s on an Olympic team the others aren’t. You can’t take anything away from him for taking an opportunity and making the most of it! 

I agree with this too in general. There's no arguing he has an easier path to competition opportunities--but he's taken advantage of those opportunities to be consistently a 5th placer or medalist at Euros and worlds. Forget Indiana, American 57/61kg reps as a nation couldn't claim Micic's consistent high-level results before Gilman for the prior 15+ years.

15 hours ago, Legridn said:

You make a good argument.  I'm going with the Ultimate Warrior,  but maybe his high school resume might not be as good,  no one beats his professional accomplishments.  Also, you didnt mention him getting locked in the Undertakers coffin and barely surviving that.  Thats the extra icing on the cake.