Is Semi-State a Major Accomplishment?

blueandgold

Most schools in Indiana seem to celebrate their school’s team(s) or athletes advancing to the Semi-State round depending upon the sport that has it (ex.: Swimming & Diving only have Sectionals, Sectional Finals, and State; Track & Field have Sectional, Regionals, and State), but in wrestling it seems like a minor accomplishment in the overall picture. With the way Indiana’s wrestling tournament is set up and how deadly some ticket rounds can be, it’s not uncommon for a lot of good wrestlers to be stopped at the third stage of the tournament series. Even so, I feel like Semi-State should maybe be considered a pretty big achievement in Indiana as most states in the U.S. have the luxury of full consolation rounds and less qualifying stages.

11 hours ago, blueandgold said:

Most schools in Indiana seem to celebrate their school’s team(s) or athletes advancing to the Semi-State round depending upon the sport that has it (ex.: Swimming & Diving only have Sectionals, Sectional Finals, and State; Track & Field have Sectional, Regionals, and State), but in wrestling it seems like a minor accomplishment in the overall picture. With the way Indiana’s wrestling tournament is set up and how deadly some ticket rounds can be, it’s not uncommon for a lot of good wrestlers to be stopped at the third stage of the tournament series. Even so, I feel like Semi-State should maybe be considered a pretty big achievement in Indiana as most states in the U.S. have the luxury of full consolation rounds and less qualifying stages.

No

20 hours ago, blueandgold said:

In my opinion, and maybe only mine, it's a significant accomplishment. I don't think it would be surprising that many members on this board are skewed to the right of the accomplishment curve. Why wouldn't they lean towards the Semi-State as a minor accomplishment. But, how many thousands of kids over the years have worked their fannies off, had successful careers, and not qualified for State?

Edited by gsmith58

I absolutely think it's a major accomplishment, with Indiana not having multiple classes for wrestling the chances of making it to SS are low. Schools should absolutely celebrate that accomplishment for their wrestlers. Every wrestlers goal should be to make it to Gainbridge, but celebrating moving on to SS doesn't harm/detract from that goal.

It absolutely should be seen as an accomplishment. Getting to semi state is still hard, and you still have to beat good kids to get there. And I get how it varies school to school and wrestler to wrestler, but for every one kid disappointed he lost in semi state, thinking he should be a state qualifier, are five kids excited they made it as far as they did.   

It's clearly a wrestler to wrestler perspective.

More Wrestlers never make it that far than those that do.

Some wrestlers will be extremely proud that they are a SS qualifier. Others will feel this way if they get through SS. While still others will feel this way as a State Placer. And then there are those who will only be happy with a State Title.

And this is OK. Not everyone needs to be content with the same level of success. Wrestling & all other sports &/or competitions need participants that can be content without being at the very top. If every athlete were only content if they are the very best then participation levels would be extremely low.

In general, I would say that it is an accomplishment.

However, it depends on the wrestler, and also on the path they took to get there.

1.  If the wrestler's sectional/regional is difficult, possibly loaded with people that have beat the wrestler during the season or highly skilled - then yes, making it to semi-state would be an accomplishment to them. 

2. For many on here - if the wrestler is representing a small school and has to navigate through qualifying rounds against traditional powerhouse schools then yes, it would be an accomplishment

3. This forum tends to focus (and rightly so) on wrestlers that are "ranked" or have invested a lot of their time in offseason practices and tournaments.  For each of those, however, there are dozens of young men and women who have put in the sweat during practices and haven't achieved many accolades.  For all of those "worker bees" yes, absolutely qualifying for semistate in Indiana would be an accomplishment!

I would say the ticket round is a major accomplishment. There are times a wrestler can slip through to semi-state with the right weight class and draws. But winning that first round at semi-state I think shows you can compete at that level. Back in the day when you took only 3 from Regionals I think it was more of an accomplishment. You need to win more than one match at Regionals.

But yes I would agree it would depend on the kid and what is an accomplishment for them. I have coached some kids that making it to semi-state alone was absolutely huge growth for them. So in the end to each its own.