Weight Allowance

ENoblewrestling

Prairie Heights has not been able to practice since Tuesday. Our school is split between Steuben and Lagrange Counties.  Lagrange County is on a  Red Travel Advisory until  at least noon today.  It will be interesting to see if we can get in to practice this afternoon, as school administration generally makes the decision on practices around 11-12:00.

18 minutes ago, rookie78 said:

Prairie Heights has not been able to practice since Tuesday. Our school is split between Steuben and Lagrange Counties.  Lagrange County is on a  Red Travel Advisory until  at least noon today.  It will be interesting to see if we can get in to practice this afternoon, as school administration generally makes the decision on practices around 11-12:00.

Just use the excuse that they have to come in to feed the cows and accidentally have wrestling practice.

I say no to the weight allowance because kids shouldn't be cutting that much. They already have 2 pounds from after Christmas. But that's just me. If they get 2 pounds more that is a total of 4 pounds, that is almost a whole different weight class.

For all the excitement some people get over possibly getting a weather closure weight allowance I honestly would much rather have the practice time than the extra weight.  Practice time to tweek a few things  would seem to yield what little advantage you could hope to help your wrestlers get at this point, where the weight won’t do much for most to help them advance.  As a coach though it’s always nerve racking to wait out administrators who don’t always get the finer details of our sport when comes to the speed of which these decisions get finalized and relayed.   But, I get erring on the side of safety when it comes to some people being able to make it into the facilities.  

Edited by MattM

17 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

I say no to the weight allowance because kids shouldn't be cutting that much. They already have 2 pounds from after Christmas. But that's just me. If they get 2 pounds more that is a total of 4 pounds, that is almost a whole different weight class.

I typically agree with you, but due to a Senior-laden line-up where they had to cut to make the line-up and in season weight training, I have some kids that are way bigger than most in their weights. We typically need every second of practice throughout the week to make weight without being gassed on Saturdays. Some of my kids have treadmills or bikes at home, others do not. 

It'd sure put me at peace of mind if I knew either A) We could practice today (no decision yet by district) or B- We could get 2 extra pounds for them. 

Now I have been on the other side of the coin and can see that that extra 2 pounds will be extremely harmful for some (my 106 weighs 103 on a heavy day and to have to wrestle some 110 guys will be a tall task).

1 minute ago, Dafar said:

Wait, Wrestling mats in the basement of the home is not standard practice? 

Basement Wrestling GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I tried to convince my wife years ago that wrestling mats would be solid baby proofing for the nursery, but she wasn’t buying it.  Now I got two boys that haven’t taken much of a shine to wrestling as of yet.   Imprinting starts early dads.  :)  

5 minutes ago, Dafar said:

I am using this storm as proof to my wife that we need to turn our breezeway into a wrestling room ...  I mean Atticus is 6 and Lincoln is 2, but who knows if we will have another crazy storm in 9 or 10 years lol

7 minutes ago, Dafar said:

If your walls are drywall in the basement I highly highly recommend wall mats unless you are good at patching drywall. I can send you some nice pictures.

5 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

If your walls are drywall in the basement I highly highly recommend wall mats unless you are good at patching drywall. I can send you some nice pictures.

How else do you get the boys to learn a necessary skill in life? Mine have become pretty good at dry wall repairs in their teen years.

58 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

I feel sad for those poor frail near-adults who wrestle only those in their weight class in practice, lol.

7 minutes ago, busstogate said:

I feel sad for those poor frail near-adults who wrestle only those in their weight class in practice, lol.

I don't feel sad for those poor frail near-adults that made the decision to cut weight to make a certain class. You can't have it both ways. There is an absolute reason for weight classes.

Let's think of it this way. We are supposed to only be allowed to let a wrestler lose 1.5% a week because that is the healthy thing to do. A 138 pound wrestler should be allowed to lose 2.07 a week.  Divide that by 7 days that is approximately .3 pounds a day. So you miss one day of practice you get 1 pound allowance. I can buy that because the .3 pounds puts you over your target. If you miss 2 days of practice you get 2 pounds which should be, if you are doing your charts right .6  pounds. I am okay with the 1 pound. I am not okay with the 2 pounds because I think it goes against the whole point of the monitoring weight and the math doesn't come close to adding up. 

18 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

I don't feel sad for those poor frail near-adults that made the decision to cut weight to make a certain class. You can't have it both ways. There is an absolute reason for weight classes.

I know.  It was a joke, sir.  Basic math was all I could handle in high school and even today. This qualifies as the applied version, it seems.  Not sure if I feel the same way about this as I do about college guys dropping 30-40 pounds to keep a scholarship, but it is what it is and wrestling will never be perfect or fair.  I guess all we can do is make it as safe as we can and not let it get as out of hand as it has been in the past.

26 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

Yep. My kiddo weighs in at 130 on the money without any kind of cut. Could he have cut to 126 this year? Easily. But he chose to wrestle 132 to be healthy and happy. After 2 pound allowance and the possibility of another 2 pounds, he may weigh in 6 pounds under his competition in a somewhat lower weight class. That’s quite a bit. 

It’s a choice. I see both arguments but lean towards not having the extra allowance weight. Especially this time of the season when discipline should separate the men from the boys. 

Edited by KBCclan

1 hour ago, MattM said:

I tried to convince my wife years ago that wrestling mats would be solid baby proofing for the nursery, but she wasn’t buying it.  Now I got two boys that haven’t taken much of a shine to wrestling as of yet.   Imprinting starts early dads.  :)  

I convinced my wife that we needed extra padding for our floors that are tule so we got mats ;)

1 hour ago, Coach Brobst said:

Now I have been on the other side of the coin and can see that that extra 2 pounds will be extremely harmful for some (my 106 weighs 103 on a heavy day and to have to wrestle some 110 guys will be a tall task)

28 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

Ha! My son, starting at 87 lbs, spent 3 years battling kids anywhere from 5 to 25 (no exaggeration) lbs heavier. Until 'everyone' enforces it (whatever 'it' is), you will always have it. Beyond that, their success and recognition encourages them. Why wouldn't they do it?

My son is right sized now, and he has to cut a couple pounds each week, but it's not is terribly difficult. Is that okay or should he jump up and wrestle against kids that are naturally 10 lbs heavier?🤔 (That said, it's a bit late).

Just to be clear, I'm serious about the first paragraph and somewhat less about the second.

We travle all over the country for my son to wrestle.  If he didn't cut weight he would be undersized for his weight class.  Most kids are cutting 10 to 15 lbs to make weight. With that being said when you have to cut muscle to make weight you are cutting to much.  There is definitely a fine line and a healthy way to cut.  The parents should monitor their wrestlers cut.  My son is hoping for the allowance but with fingers crossed, he makes it to semi state he's going to have to cut that additional weight. If the Wrestler is dedicated enough weight shouldn't be the biggest battle.

4 minutes ago, 450krazy said:

We travle all over the country for my son to wrestle.  If he didn't cut weight he would be undersized for his weight class.  Most kids are cutting 10 to 15 lbs to make weight. With that being said when you have to cut muscle to make weight you are cutting to much.  There is definitely a fine line and a healthy way to cut.  The parents should monitor their wrestlers cut.  My son is hoping for the allowance but with fingers crossed, he makes it to semi state he's going to have to cut that additional weight. If the Wrestler is dedicated enough weight shouldn't be the biggest battle.

If you are talking from the beginning of season to what you want to wrestle that is fine. But if you are naturally weighing 10 to 15 pounds more than you wrestle then honestly that is a problem. That is the whole reason the rules got put in place so kids didn't do that type of cut. I did that cut in high school and even worse in college. I would hope that people are not cheating the fat charts and allowing wrestlers to still do this. 

I feel that these guys have been at this weight all year it's not a whole other weight class lets have healthy wrestlers not wrestlers that are tired from running their butts off all morning to make weight. Give them more weight anyone not wanting to give them weight just wants to bump an opponent out.

Edited by Ahawkeye

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.