Greatest Rivalries

blueandgold

I've been pretty fortunate to be close to a few great rivalries.  

In order of when they happened:

1. Vega vs Schaefer

Schaefer beats Vega in the semis and wins in 1995.  Vega with thrilling last second win in 1996.  Vega wins in the finals in 1997.  The one thing that really impacted me as a young coach and I will never forget this.  Vega wins in the battle of two top 10 guys in the country.  10,000 fans cheering and as a young coach, I'm crazy ecstatic for his win.....Schaefer comes over to shake my hand.  He looks me in the eye and says with the utmost sincerity, "Congratulations coach, Leroy is a great competitor".  I will always be a fan of Greg Schaefer because of that.

2. Bradbury vs Ramos

Not sure the Hobart faithful would call this one a rivalry because Ramos was 13-0 verse Bradbury.  If anyone knows the Hobart faithful of that time, you would understand why I would hesitate to say that Bradbury was winning in the third period 6 or 7 times.  (the Hobart faithful were quick to correct any error and let me know if it was only 5 or maybe 9.....and my corrections from the Hobart faithful usually ended with a "come on Eddie" and a very region insult.  The 13th time they wrestled was in the state finals.  Bradbury was up 4 with choice going into the third.  We thought for sure this was the match he would win.  Ramos was a great competitor and once again, found a way to win.

3.  Eppert vs Wright

I believe these two wrestled in the finals of Regional, Semi State, and State three years in a row.  Eppert was a workhorse and Wright was the ultimate athlete.  Every time Eppert made an adjustment to what Wright was doing, Wright would add a new skill.  It was a great chess match.  Wright and his dad were brilliant, and Camden just kept adjusting.  

All six of these guys are great people and it was great for Indiana wrestling to have been able to watch!

2 hours ago, Ed Pendoski said:

I've been pretty fortunate to be close to a few great rivalries.  

In order of when they happened:

1. Vega vs Schaefer

Schaefer beats Vega in the semis and wins in 1995.  Vega with thrilling last second win in 1996.  Vega wins in the finals in 1997.  The one thing that really impacted me as a young coach and I will never forget this.  Vega wins in the battle of two top 10 guys in the country.  10,000 fans cheering and as a young coach, I'm crazy ecstatic for his win.....Schaefer comes over to shake my hand.  He looks me in the eye and says with the utmost sincerity, "Congratulations coach, Leroy is a great competitor".  I will always be a fan of Greg Schaefer because of that.

2. Bradbury vs Ramos

Not sure the Hobart faithful would call this one a rivalry because Ramos was 13-0 verse Bradbury.  If anyone knows the Hobart faithful of that time, you would understand why I would hesitate to say that Bradbury was winning in the third period 6 or 7 times.  (the Hobart faithful were quick to correct any error and let me know if it was only 5 or maybe 9.....and my corrections from the Hobart faithful usually ended with a "come on Eddie" and a very region insult.  The 13th time they wrestled was in the state finals.  Bradbury was up 4 with choice going into the third.  We thought for sure this was the match he would win.  Ramos was a great competitor and once again, found a way to win.

3.  Eppert vs Wright

I believe these two wrestled in the finals of Regional, Semi State, and State three years in a row.  Eppert was a workhorse and Wright was the ultimate athlete.  Every time Eppert made an adjustment to what Wright was doing, Wright would add a new skill.  It was a great chess match.  Wright and his dad were brilliant, and Camden just kept adjusting.  

All six of these guys are great people and it was great for Indiana wrestling to have been able to watch!

Up 4!

It was 2!

Black vs Rumph...Another Hobart/Portage rivalry!

Black won 9

Rumph won 1

Every match was a battle!

Wrestled Blacks Junior year in Sectional, Reg, SS finals, and 3rd place match

Wrestled Blacks senior year in sectional, Reg, SS, and state finals 

Can't remember where the other 2 were at? Mishawaka? IDK

Edited by brickfor6

27 minutes ago, brickfor6 said:

Black vs Rumph...Another Hobart/Portage rivalry!

Black won 9

Rumph won 1

Every match was a battle!

Wrestled Blacks Junior year in Sectional, Reg, SS finals, and 3rd place match

Wrestled Blacks senior year in sectional, Reg, SS, and state finals 

Can't remember where the other 2 were at? Mishawaka? IDK

I believe they were at harvest 

12 hours ago, rookie78 said:

Harper and Carr in 1999, state finals match and Al Smith finals both came down to ot correct?  Not sure how many times they wrestling each other over the years

Can't remember if Al Smith was OT, but State was 2OT...Carr kicked his foot out of Harper's grasp to get the escape.

Carr's rivalry in 1998 was with Anthony Lapsley. Lapsley won at the Al Smith. Carr won at Semi-State. Lapsley won at State.

13 hours ago, PhillyFanMD said:

Andy McDonald vs Darren Happe

They met during at regular meet, conference, sectional, regional, semi-state, and State Finals

McDonald had 7 losses that year and 6 were to Happe. The other was to a guy at a tournament in Tennessee. I'm sure Andy remembers that kids name but I can't. Andy did beat a very good wrestler from Hopkins County to win the MD Holiday Classic. His other notable wins were several guys along the way through the tournament. He beat some studs at state. Happe had his # the whole season and maybe Happe had more talent but Andy had soooo much heart! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.