Thoughts about state tournament

Refs have been 10x better than semi state - genuinely extremely satisfied with the high quality reffing displayed this weekend 

I was nervous after a horrible showing at the new castle semi state. 

crown point has seriously dissapointed…. Like really bad. BUT they still have a shot at the crown 

7 minutes ago, M109R said:

Watching IhsaaTv from home . The Announcers for all 4 mats are perhaps the best I've ever encountered watching a large Tournament. They are all past wrestlers and very knowledgeable .

Not sure who’s doing all the mats. But I believe Matt Caughlin is on Mat 4

1 minute ago, littlevito said:

I am totally fine rotating the state tournament between cities for the future. We have highly enjoyed it in Evansville. Sure it is a farther drive, but who cares. 

Dude, this is the emptiest I’ve ever seen a place. No way should it ever be here again. 

44 minutes ago, M109R said:

Watching IhsaaTv from home . The Announcers for all 4 mats are perhaps the best I've ever encountered watching a large Tournament. They are all past wrestlers and very knowledgeable .

I’d agree. From what I’ve listen to most announcers have came in well organized with information to help add to what we see on the mat.  I’ve always liked having some additional knowledge added in rather than a second by second of play by play that already see from the watching the steam.  And far less speaker blowing yelling wildly when a big move happens than we have had in prior events. Very much appreciate that these guys are figuring out how to express the matches excitement in a more ear pleasing and professional broadcasting manner. 

Edited by MattM

48 minutes ago, grappleapple said:

Chad Niccum was fantastic. 

Was this the announcer's name? If so I think he dod a good job, the finals announcements like their career achievements could be said in order of importance and the semistate champion / semistate they came from could be cleaned up a little in my very unprofessional opinion. But I sure as heck couldn't do as good of a job, he is following an absolute legend so good job on him and I hope he continues to announce for State.

Great weekend of wrestling and extra special for me, as my son was able to coach his 2nd state champ in his hometown tonight! I just don't understand the empty seating mystery at the Ford tonight. I was told by text messages today from two different people that the wrestling was sold out tonight and was curious if I had gotten a ticket. They were unable to purchase tickets online, because of all tickets being sold out. So Ticketmaster must be playing games with the seating or someone is buying a lot of tickets and not coming. Plenty of seats at every session this weekend. What is going on???

2 minutes ago, boilergrappler said:

Great weekend of wrestling and extra special for me, as my son was able to coach his 2nd state champ in his hometown tonight! I just don't understand the empty seating mystery at the Ford tonight. I was told by text messages today from two different people that the wrestling was sold out tonight and was curious if I had gotten a ticket. They were unable to purchase tickets online, because of all tickets being sold out. So Ticketmaster must be playing games with the seating or someone is buying a lot of tickets and not coming. Plenty of seats at every session this weekend. What is going on???

In my case, I watched my kid wrestle in the 5th place match and didn't stay for the championship matches because of the five hour drive.  I didn't want to be getting home at 3 in the morning nor did I want to stay another night.  I enjoyed everything except the location. And I do understand that this was the best option available, I'm not complaining about the event being in Evansville.

Been attending since 1982 and probably the worst state experience ever. First the ticketing issue, then the vibe of the stadium was very low key all weekend. Probably because the stadium was half empty. Lastly, it seems that if the community was backing the tourney that there would be food available on the blocks around the venue after 10 pm. On a positive note we ate at Turoni’s , Kite and Key , Gerst Haus and Peephole and all were really good. Will be glad to be back to Indy next year. 

46 minutes ago, Christopher Bohn said:

In my case, I watched my kid wrestle in the 5th place match and didn't stay for the championship matches because of the five hour drive.  I didn't want to be getting home at 3 in the morning nor did I want to stay another night.  I enjoyed everything except the location. And I do understand that this was the best option available, I'm not complaining about the event being in Evansville.

Congrats to you and your kid! Really enjoyed watching him at semi state and watching him this weekend. Tough kid!

16 minutes ago, Beamaker said:

Congrats to you and your kid! Really enjoyed watching him at semi state and watching him this weekend. Tough kid!

Thank you so much.  If only that Krejsa kid didn't get lucky in their quarterfinals match, CJ could've won it all. 

I kid of course.  CJ said Krejsa was the only kid that got faster as the match went on.

Edit. I'm really proud of CJ because he fought through adversity at the beginning of the year.  We lost my dad in late October, and he was a massive supporter of CJs wrestling career.  He never missed any my son's matches.

Edited by Christopher Bohn