Clinton Shepard - Crown Point

navy80

Who is this kid?

I knew he was good coming in.... but he beat Brady Ison 3-1. Ison has been a STUD for four years in high school. Then he beats STATE CHAMPION Kyrel Leavel 6-4. He pinned place winner Wesley Smith as well. Really? When have we seen a freshman beat accomplished seniors? Only Nick Lee that I can remember.. but Clinton is on another level.

He was rated as the number 2 middle schooler in October 2022 behind fellow STUD Evan Stanley.

2. Clinton Shepherd--8th grade--Crown Point--120--(132-138)

10-0 at VACs, 2nd at Super 32, 3rd at IHPO, (5-2 at IHPO 2021, Tulsa 12U 2nd, NHSCA duals 6-0, 8-0 at the Bear Duals(OW), 6-2 Nat MS Duals, BlueGrass Nat Duals, 6-0 Supreme Killer Duals, 5-0 at Sparty Duals, 7-1 GRR duals, 3rd at NUWAY Nationals, 7-0 Mat Mayhem duals, 3rd and 5ht at Indy Nat, ISWA state champ) * 2021 Super 32 3rd place (coin flip), National Middle school Duals 5-2

Will he be a four timer? 

can't see Ison or Leavel getting beat by a 'freshman' their senior years.. But this kid is different. 

Clinton has been with Andrew Howe and Jon Morrison as well as cp staff the last yr and a half! Enough good things can not be said about Andrew/jon on development and more than wrestling character development that they instill and absolutely lead by example! These coaches are absolutely dedicated/love and care for their athletes in every aspect of life. Howe wrestling academy is a blessing for Northern Indiana! 

Edited by Dailygrind86

1 hour ago, navy80 said:

Who is this kid?

I knew he was good coming in.... but he beat Brady Ison 3-1. Ison has been a STUD for four years in high school. Then he beats STATE CHAMPION Kyrel Leavel 6-4. He pinned place winner Wesley Smith as well. Really? When have we seen a freshman beat accomplished seniors? Only Nick Lee that I can remember.. but Clinton is on another level.

He was rated as the number 2 middle schooler in October 2022 behind fellow STUD Evan Stanley.

10-0 at VACs, 2nd at Super 32, 3rd at IHPO, (5-2 at IHPO 2021, Tulsa 12U 2nd, NHSCA duals 6-0, 8-0 at the Bear Duals(OW), 6-2 Nat MS Duals, BlueGrass Nat Duals, 6-0 Supreme Killer Duals, 5-0 at Sparty Duals, 7-1 GRR duals, 3rd at NUWAY Nationals, 7-0 Mat Mayhem duals, 3rd and 5ht at Indy Nat, ISWA state champ) * 2021 Super 32 3rd place (coin flip), National Middle school Duals 5-2

Will he be a four timer? 

can't see Ison or Leavel getting beat by a 'freshman' their senior years.. But this kid is different. 

He is ready and has beat a lot of state champs and qualifiers from across the country . Super hard worker who puts in the extra time . 

Just rewatched his match with Leavell. Impressive wrestler, my first time watching him! That being said, that seemed like one of those matches that a wrestler will just get caught up in a specific position and before you know it,the match is over. I felt Kyrel controlled a lot of the match and got away from attacking the legs. Unbiased opinion is that they missed a stall call against Clinton on the edge. Honestly my money is on Kyrel in a rematch, and it will be worth the price of admission and then some! 

35 minutes ago, HornetSloan said:

Just rewatched his match with Leavell. Impressive wrestler, my first time watching him! That being said, that seemed like one of those matches that a wrestler will just get caught up in a specific position and before you know it,the match is over. I felt Kyrel controlled a lot of the match and got away from attacking the legs. Unbiased opinion is that they missed a stall call against Clinton on the edge. Honestly my money is on Kyrel in a rematch, and it will be worth the price of admission and then some! 

I think they are both good enough to beat each other on any given day . I think a rematch is a tossup .

35 minutes ago, HornetSloan said:

History generally shows that when a freshman goes against the #1 senior during the regular season, the freshman makes better adjustments than the senior at state. 

Mendez vs Watts was close at Al Smith then Mendez majors Watts in Semis.

Jason Tsirtsis loses a close match to Cashe Quirogo at the traicoff and got revenge in the Semis at state. 

Joe Lee loses 8-2 to Brandon James at team state and then pins him in the semis. 

However last year Huyvert beat solomey at regionals and then solomey goes on to win state.

I think Freshman generally have more room to grow in a short time period compared to a senior. That being said Shepherd might have to take out Ison and Kyrel in the same day to win a state title. I think 138 has 3 serious title contenders: Ison, Kyrel and Shepherd. Whoever is on the other side of the bracket is gonna walk to the finals in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, igotcaught said:

History generally shows that when a freshman goes against the #1 senior during the regular season, the freshman makes better adjustments than the senior at state. 

Mendez vs Watts was close at Al Smith then Mendez majors Watts in Semis.

Jason Tsirtsis loses a close match to Cashe Quirogo at the traicoff and got revenge in the Semis at state. 

Joe Lee loses 8-2 to Brandon James at team state and then pins him in the semis. 

However last year Huyvert beat solomey at regionals and then solomey goes on to win state.

I think Freshman generally have more room to grow in a short time period compared to a senior. That being said Shepherd might have to take out Ison and Kyrel in the same day to win a state title. I think 138 has 3 serious title contenders: Ison, Kyrel and Shepherd. Whoever is on the other side of the bracket is gonna walk to the finals in my opinion.

Very good points! I suppose time will tell if Clinton is on THAT level. And you're dead on about the bracket, 

On 12/31/2023 at 12:26 PM, Coach Smith said:

He and Wesley trained at Fleegers together for awhile.  Wesley said he was his favorite training partner because he worked so hard. Made the switch to CP and trains with Howe now from my understanding. Great kid! 

We love wesley! He is such a great kid! Hard worker and amazing young man! 

• 1 month later...
On 12/31/2023 at 12:48 PM, navy80 said:

Who is this kid?

Will he be a four timer? 

Is Clinton related to the Shepherd's from Western High School in Russiaville, IN and if so, how??

2 hours ago, Rpine3 said:

Is Clinton related to the Shepherd's from Western High School in Russiaville, IN and if so, how??

I was curious about this too. The announcer at 157 said Western had 1 state champ named Shepherd in 1991. I thought Ray Shepherd won 138 in the mid 80s too. 

3 hours ago, Rpine3 said:

1 hour ago, tonyzirkle said:

I was curious about this too. The announcer at 157 said Western had 1 state champ named Shepherd in 1991. I thought Ray Shepherd won 138 in the mid 80s too. 

The head coach Chad Shepherd won in 91. Could be wrong but believe there is no relation, congrats to Mitchell Betz on getting it done, class act.