As It Stands With All Things Considered, Is…?

blueandgold

As it stands with all things considered, is Stevan Mićić the best wrestler to ever come out of Indiana? His accolades include:

• 2020 Serbian Olympic Team Member
  • 2022 UWW Senior Men’s Freestyle World Championships Bronze Medalist at 57 kg
  • 2019 UWW Senior Men’s Freestyle World Championships 5th Place at 57 kg
  • 2× UWW Senior Men’s Freestyle European Championships Bronze Medalist at 57 kg (2018, 2020)
  • 106-22 collegiate record
  • 3× NCAA Division I All-American at 133 lbs. (4th, 2017; 2nd, 2018; 3rd, 2019)
  • 2018 Big Ten Champion at 133 lbs.
  • 184-5 prep record
  • 2014 Dave Schultz High School Excellence Award for Indiana
  • 2× ASICS First Team All-American (2013-14)
  • 2014 Dapper Dan Wrestling Classic Outstanding Wrestler
  • 2013 Cadet World Team Member
  • 3× IHSAA State Champion (106 lbs., 2012; 113 lbs., 2013; 126 lbs., 2014)
  • 4× IHSAA All-State (3rd, 2011; 1st, 2012-14)

I know others may have more collegiate success in terms of championships, but his continued success on a global level at the age of 26 surely must eclipse any of that, right? 

2 hours ago, Gasman said:

Howe did he do at the Olympics?? Because Howe… although he didn’t make it, also lost in OT to several gold

medalists. If Howe could claim

serbian or Canadian or any other country and make it to the Olympics he would have medaled. 

What stinks the most for Howe is he legit had to face one of, if not the, greatest wrestlers of all time in Burroughs in his prime just to make an Olympic or World team. 

If you truly want to talk anyone from Indiana then it’s clearly Bruce Baumgardener. Dude is like Larry Bird coming from Indiana state!!! He is the most legendary wrestler to wrestle in Indiana. I would say Micic isn’t even best to come out of his high school, not a knock at all towards him, just speaks to the legends coming out of HC. 

2 minutes ago, Gasman said:

If you truly want to talk anyone from Indiana then it’s clearly Bruce Baumgardener. Dude is like Larry Bird coming from Indiana state!!! He is the most legendary wrestler to wrestle in Indiana. I would say Micic isn’t even best to come out of his high school, not a knock at all towards him, just speaks to the legends coming out of HC. 

He wasn't from here though.

Idk, what some of these ladies have done is pretty impressive. Especially Sarah Hillebrandt.. 

She won one of the bronze medals in the women's 50 kg event at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Japan. She is a three-time medalist at the World Wrestling Championships and a gold medalist at the Pan American Games. She is also a six-time gold medalist at the Pan American Wrestling Championships. Just a little bit of her resume . 

I’m going to say we got an Indiana winner right here and she’s got my vote . 

Miracle is right up there also . 

Edited by TeamGarcia
Spell check

On 12/21/2022 at 4:16 PM, blueandgold said:

I know others may have more collegiate success in terms of championships, but his continued success on a global level at the age of 26 surely must eclipse any of that, right? 

Micic is amazing as is all the others mentioned in this thread, but...

Micic would not have any of those Senior World accomplishments if he had to wrestle for the USA. So to point to them & declare that is what sets him apart from the rest is unfair. Is it not?

17 hours ago, SIACfan said:

Micic is amazing as is all the others mentioned in this thread, but...

Micic would not have any of those Senior World accomplishments if he had to wrestle for the USA. So to point to them & declare that is what sets him apart from the rest is unfair. Is it not?

That's not an unfair point, but a World medal is a World medal.  Thats a way big deal and no matter what puts him in the discussion.

I'm still going with Escobedo with 1 more Indiana title, 1 more All-American finish, 1 more Big 10 title, an NCAA title, made a US team, and missed a bronze medal by a single point. 

Edited by matts