The real team target for "best ever" is 161

maligned

Evansville Mater Dei's 2003 team--considered by probably the majority of people to be the best ever in the state of Indiana--scored 161 points in the state finals if the same scoring as now were used then to determine the state champion team.  The team champion was determined by duals then and a team score wasn't calculated in the same way. The "record" of 112 that people keep quoting is only a ho-hum total compared to ones we've seen over the years if all matches for all 4 rounds are totaled.

12 minutes ago, TeamGarcia said:

Records are going to fall . They always do . 

Agree. I'm partially posting this so people can't say, "yeah, but we would have done..." That 161 is the best we've seen in a 16 man bracket, 14 team tournament. If someone beats it, it's yet another sign we're witnessing 1 or 2 of the best teams we've ever seen.

Looks like the end of the day will be 04 EMD, 22 CP, and possibly 22 BB as the top 3 of all time.  

I’m sure there maybe a little debate, especially for the 3rd spot, with how some prior years advancement and tallied scores goes, but we are still seeing BB make a good case for it.  And they did it without two potential point scorers (120 SS headlock upset and their 220 that stayed out for Football).  

Not to mention CP did all this also without a couple potential wrestlers who chose to compete in IL instead of IN.  

Edited by MattM

I don’t think that in 2003 they had the consolation wrestle back round, I believe it was still follow the leader after the quarterfinals.  Your opponent wins in the semis you wrestled for 5th but if he lost you wrestled for 7th.  So there was 1 less round to score back then.

13 minutes ago, julio said:

I don’t think that in 2003 they had the consolation wrestle back round, I believe it was still follow the leader after the quarterfinals.  Your opponent wins in the semis you wrestled for 5th but if he lost you wrestled for 7th.  So there was 1 less round to score back then.

2003 was the same bracket setup as it is today with those losing the quarter-final in a mini-bracket to determine 7/8 and 5/6.  

Nothing is close. Never was in doubt. A team for the ages. When your 4X champ rolls though with 5-7 of his homies since wrestling as tykes, this is the byproduct. 

The same goes for the 2005 LN team with Reece Humphrey, Pino, Thomas Johnson, etc....

... and the 2003 EMD team that just got unseated. 

Patterns follow the few dads (and moms) that band together a group of 5-7 youngsters through summer seasons, regional competitions, etc. for 12 years or more. It's a scourge. And it's all worth it. 

Congrats to the CP guys. Incredible squad. 

Edited by IndianaWrestlingGuy1

6 minutes ago, Silence Dogood said:

What about the 1954 Southport team?

If your going back that far people will definitely be throwing out the “different era” card.   Several teams back in that era could make soem

big claims.  Looks at all the Bloomington guys that went on to help IU back when they were a high level Big10 team.  Similar to a few 80s Delta teams when the advancement was also different than now.  Completely different advancement system back then but also not quite as many schools or level of competition as we see today.  I’d be hard pressed to compare any teams or individuals there aren’t at least within a 20 year window.   

Edited by MattM

11 minutes ago, MattM said:

If your going back that far people will definitely be throwing out the “different era” card.   Several teams back in that era could make soem

big claims.  Looks at all the Bloomington guys that went on to help IU back when they were a high level Big10 team.  Similar to a few 80s Delta teams when the advancement was also different than now.  Completely different advancement system back then but also not quite as many schools or level of competition as we see today.  I’d be hard pressed to compare any teams or individuals there aren’t at least within a 20 year window.   

I was joking.

10 hours ago, maligned said:

Evansville Mater Dei's 2003 team--considered by probably the majority of people to be the best ever in the state of Indiana--scored 161 points in the state finals if the same scoring as now were used then to determine the state champion team.  The team champion was determined by duals then and a team score wasn't calculated in the same way. The "record" of 112 that people keep quoting is only a ho-hum total compared to ones we've seen over the years if all matches for all 4 rounds are totaled.

Have to agree - what people forget is that Evansville Mater Dei had to deal with unprecedented generational talent that year that were destroying people and went on to college success in;

112 Reece Humphrey, Lawrence North

125 Angel Escobedo, Griffith 10 61-0* 

130 Andrae Hernandez, Griffith 11 61-0*

135 Alex Tsirtsis, Griffith

Alex Dolly, Mishawaka  and 215 Jake O’Brien, Franklin Central were also pretty good. That GRALAN EARLY was tough as well.

I don't see that in this class yet, other than Mendez 

25 minutes ago, Silence Dogood said:

I was joking.

Maybe, but I do agree some of these early teams deserve some respect for their talent and furthering the sport in Indiana.   Joe has done a good job with some of the bracket information, but one of these days some of us with the historical information needs to compile the early era accounts of the tournament series  so it’s preserved in the digital eras.    But again it’s just not fair to compare their era to the advancements our state has had over the years.  

This was a breakout year for indiana wrestling both on the national exposure level and just the strength of teams.

2018-2019 winning score 78 // 72

2019-2020 winning score 102 // 93.5

This year EmD was 3rd with 93 and cg was 4th with 65

Several years either of those scores would have won or taken second.

I tip my hat to crown point they wrestled amazing from start to finish... they had atleast 3 Friday night matches they were losing and came back and won.  9 placers "worst" kid gets 5th? 6 in the finals... wow 👏 well done 👏 

Just crazy!

1 hour ago, Butt Drag said:

Have to agree - what people forget is that Evansville Mater Dei had to deal with unprecedented generational talent that year that were destroying people and went on to college success in;

Alex Dolly, Mishawaka  and 215 Jake O’Brien, Franklin Central were also pretty good. That GRALAN EARLY was tough as well.

Zeke and Christian are nationally ranked above most you mentioned. And Mendez is arguably #1 P4P Nostalgia is a B, isn't it?

2 hours ago, Butt Drag said:

Lmfao you don't see anyone other then Mendez touching this class, just wait and see with the top end talent and D1 recruits

7 hours ago, greco165 said:

Lmfao you don't see anyone other then Mendez touching this class, just wait and see with the top end talent and D1 recruits

My bad I missed Zeke Seltzer, but in other thread I said Mizzou and he are going to be a great fit. Smith will maximize his creativity 

it will be years before you can assess this class/season to compare in the long run. A great season though. There is no denying that 2003 year was impressively & uniquely  top heavy across the board in college

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.