Results and upsets 12-29-21

1prouddad

Wrestling Fans, just a heads up! I am jumping around and watching all the

Big tournaments today! Up at North Mont. @ 106 we could Potentially see

an all Female FINAL!!  Ocampo-NH and Buchanan-WV are in the Semi's of

the Winners Bracket!! This is Great for the Sport.    

Bigtoe19

Trevor Schammert

Hobart
Senior
Hobart Regional

Win by Decision 6-4 over J. Cortez
Win by Decision 7-5 over N. Christion
Loss by Decision 5:15 to J. Cortez
Win by Decision 6-2 over D. Bennett
Win by Pin 5:10 over O. Bunton

Lake_Central_School_Logo.png.ab94760fb8d9efc3a0f74291c9fc7d04.png

Johnny Cortez

Lake Central
Senior
Crown Point Regional

2020 Qualifier at 106lbs

Loss by Decision 6-4 to T. Schammert

7 hours ago, ontherise219 said:

132: Undefeated Jasper Graber Northridge d undefeated #16 Bryce Denton Penn(number 2 seed) 

first round 😳

Kid's a stud! He trained at our RTC a lot this summer.

Was definitely one of the toughest first round matches of the tournament that you had to watch; but Denton was a #3

15 minutes ago, Steven Sandefer said:

Kid's a stud! He trained at our RTC a lot this summer.

Was definitely one of the toughest first round matches of the tournament that you had to watch; but Denton was a #3

Either way, if I’m reading this right. Both kids were undefeated, how does one get a 3 seed and the other no seed at all? Do they only seed the top 4? How deep do the seeds go? IMHO Looks like a case of poor seeding to me.

19 minutes ago, RASSLER4LIFE said:

Either way, if I’m reading this right. Both kids were undefeated, how does one get a 3 seed and the other no seed at all? Do they only seed the top 4? How deep do the seeds go? IMHO Looks like a case of poor seeding to me.

When seeding, we follow a 7 step criteria, close to what IHSAA uses for sectionals. Denton advanced farther last year as a state qualifier, Graber was not. Head to heads and common opponents play a factor as well. We seed 8 wrestlers + 1 if someone misses weight/gets sick/etc. 6 other kids ranked in the state happened to be ahead of him. He just rose to the occasion and proved himself better than criteria or rankings. That's what makes wrestling fun

14 minutes ago, Steven Sandefer said:

When seeding, we follow a 7 step criteria, close to what IHSAA uses for sectionals. Denton advanced farther last year as a state qualifier, Graber was not. Head to heads and common opponents play a factor as well. We seed 8 wrestlers + 1 if someone misses weight/gets sick/etc. 6 other kids ranked in the state happened to be ahead of him. He just rose to the occasion and proved himself better than criteria or rankings. That's what makes wrestling fun

I agree with all you said minus the rankings, but your seeding criteria seems the correct way. Thanks for the clarification! 

47 minutes ago, RASSLER4LIFE said:

Because being undefeated doesn't mean you get a seed

Top 4 all were state qualifiers

5 and 6 were undefeated ticket rounders

7 and 8 were undefeated ss qualifiers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.