How about these stall happy region refs?

Zombiedust

Anyone else noticing how terrible the officiating is here at the Al Smith or is that just me? These stall calls are atrocious and asinine. One wrestler will be attacking the whole time and then defends one shot and is called for stalling. There needs to be more consistency. The young buck really enjoys putting himself in the middle of matches too. 

Edited by Zombiedust

3 minutes ago, Zombiedust said:

I wasn’t sure if it was just me that was beginning to think this is getting ridiculous. The officiating this weekend, especially today, has just been bad all around. 

You’re right! I’ve seen plenty of bad refs over the years but jeez by this year is by far the worst I’ve seen 

Edited by Brandonm625

2 minutes ago, Slam126 said:

100% agree! Worst officiating I have ever experienced! Points awarded, then taken away multiple times. Quick stall calls, inappropriate stall calls. Al Smith tourney director, if you want to continue with the reputation of a top notch, Indiana HS Tourney, it’s time to bring in some state caliber officials. You also need to bring in officials that are from all over the state, so these biased calls against central Indiana schools stops. Exceptional quality of wrestling, with poor quality officials. On a positive note, there were two officials that did an excellent, impartial job of calling matches. Thanks to both of you!

The bias against central Indiana schools just showed in the 182 finals match. Warren gets called for stalling after attempting a snap down yet Walker can sit in top riding hips for almost 3 minutes with no stall call. 

Not trying to bash any officials here but one major thing I noticed was the inconsistency. You can’t call for stalling but 2 seconds later they end up scoring. I’ve seen too many matches this weekend get dictated by the officials. Al Smith is a very competitive tournament with dozens of ranked wrestlers battling for a championship. It’s good to be on top of stalling but when you have two ranked competitors, you typically aren’t going to see what you’ll see in a peewee 45 match. Nonetheless, great tournament and thanks for officiating!

While I don’t agree with every call, I didn’t see any bias. Cathedral won by like 50 points so I doubt there was a bias against them. 
top 3 

cathedral, CP and perry 

also I am not sure how many refs are from the region? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Indiana

we can’t claim south bend as the region 

7 minutes ago, Fabio Jr. said:

This conversation happens after almost every event. I found no issues with the officiating I appreciate the double stalls get some action going.

I’m sure i watched other matches more attentive than you and vise versa, but when there’s a close action packed match and there are stall calls being thrown out for no reason basically ruining matches i say that’s pretty poor officiating 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

I like consistent stall calls early and often. 😃 Only saw the finals via stream (Outstanding job btw and THANKS!) and thought officials did a pretty good job.   I think there could have been  more stalls called in some of the later matches.  IMO, stall calls shouldn't change if ranked wrestlers are involved or even weight class.  Lack of action or avoiding action = fist. 

6 minutes ago, RAJR said:

I like consistent stall calls early and often. 😃 Only saw the finals via stream (Outstanding job btw and THANKS!) and thought officials did a pretty good job.   I think there could have been  more stalls called in some of the later matches.  IMO, stall calls shouldn't change if ranked wrestlers are involved or even weight class.  Lack of action or avoiding action = fist. 

While I do agree it’s nice to see constant action, we have to remember that we wrestle folkstyle in high school. I’m all for stalling if a wrestler isn’t trying to advance position or is blatantly avoiding/stopping action. Nothing should ever change from an official’s perspective regardless of wrestlers being D1 athletes or 0-22 jv kids. 

11 minutes ago, TeamInjuryTime07 said:

It’s great we have so many expert officials out there in the stands. During the coaches meeting they said they need more officials you should grab a whistle and some arm bands and show them how it’s done. 

I love how this is always thrown out as an argument. I'd wager just about everyone on this forum has wrestled quite a bit, and is familiar with what should or shouldn't be a stall call, unless you're talking about some heavyweights.

27 minutes ago, TeamInjuryTime07 said:

It’s great we have so many expert officials out there in the stands. During the coaches meeting they said they need more officials you should grab a whistle and some arm bands and show them how it’s done. 

Yes sir , Believe me when i say it, been involved with wrestling for a decade. From wrestling, coaching, spectating, and officiating. A true lover of the sport! So when watching great wrestling and see such poor calls that really dictate such good close matches is really disappointing! 

Edited by Brandonm625

This was the first Al Smith I’ve missed in a long time. So I was only able to watch the finals and a few select FaceTime matches.

A couple of issues I’ve had in the past is just simply inconsistent calls with stalling; from ref to ref and match to match. Also I think some refs don’t recognize hand fighting and/or fighting for position. Just because there hasn’t been a shot in a minute doesn’t mean anyone is stalling. 

2 hours ago, baileyjmckivitz said:

While I do agree it’s nice to see constant action, we have to remember that we wrestle folkstyle in high school. I’m all for stalling if a wrestler isn’t trying to advance position or is blatantly avoiding/stopping action. Nothing should ever change from an official’s perspective regardless of wrestlers being D1 athletes or 0-22 jv kids. 

There is a difference in stalling depending upon the level of competition. A 0-22 kid might just be overpowered and not know how to stall or his stalling is much more blatant. A good ref will give better warning to a kid in this case. State level kids know how to stall better and conceal it better. A good ref will need to be able to see if certain positions or ties are stalling or they are looking to improve in those positions.

There is definitely a difference between stalling depending upon the level of competition.

5 hours ago, greco165 said:

I don't mean to split hairs but South Bend is less than an hour from the Region. Indy to South Bend is close to 2 hr 30 min. You can live a mile away from a different time zone, so that doesn't mean much.

I can Get to Downtown Indy in less than two hours , It takes 1 1/2 hrs to get to crown point . Not a big difference . And the majority of the refs are not from the Region . 

Edited by M109R

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.