Down #s

H.B.

I know we often say, “Indiana is on the come up,” but ironically, this year seemed like a down year. For starters, you could see attendance was down compared to years’ past, and those I sat with and talked with afterwards also took notice. Also, the depth of this class seems down in comparison to previous years. For example, in 2014, we had multiple nationally ranked wrestlers at a majority of the weights or lots of returning state qualifiers/placers at a lot of the weights. In 2015, we had someone ranked in every weight. I remember looking at Flo and InterMat religiously throughout the season checking for names and headlines. We had lots of depth. In 2015, most of those wrestlers were already ranked, but some became nationally ranked after the state tournament due to the recognition of their talent.

106 - Konrath

113 - Pepple

120 - Red, Glogouski

126 - Micic, Lee

132 - Wilson, James

145 - LeCount, Forte

160 - Corsaro

220 - Robinson, Miller, Tolley

285 - Bernard, Hemmelgarn, Streck, Oglesby

106 - Cummings

113 - Pepple, Hildebrandt, Konrath

120 - Hudkins, Bailey

126 - Red

132 - Lee, Coy

138 - Cash, Lee, James

145 - Covaciu

152 - Forte

160 - Hughes

170 - Lydy 

182 - Osborn

195 - Rypel

220 - Woods

285 - Streck, Trawick, Oglesby

113 - Jacob Moran

120 - Brayden Littell

132 - Asa Garcia

138 - Cayden Rooks

145 - Matthew Lee

160 - Donnell Washington

170 - Nick South, Graham Calhoun

182 - Carson Brewer

195 - Silas Allred

Big difference. If you looked in the state finals programs, you’ll see outside of 126, 145, or 152 there was no depth. A lot of the participants were first time competitors. At heavyweight, outside of Watts, it was everyone’s first appearance. A lot of the wrestlers we had ranked in years’ past were also in the middle of near the top. It didn’t look too good this year. No disrespect to any of these amazing athletes. I’m just unsure as to if other states are just better this year or if we’ve had an off year, but I have faith in our state especially with this exciting freshman class. Hope to see more and more of our guys on the national level this summer.

Edited by H.B.

I use to go and fight for a close seat but the older I got the higher I sat.  Not so bad if you got in the front row of the upper decks though.  This year, after my grandson taught me how to use the world wide interweb (worldwide like ABC sports) I sat at home, watched every match that I wanted to see on my 60 inch, hit rewind and watched it again.  Didn't have to pay to park 3 times or wait in a hour long line at Subway a few blocks south of the Blood Bank to get a crappy sandwich.  Stayed at home for 15 whole dollars, big screen tv and all the Miller Lite I could handle.  The only thing that I missed was the Golden Ace on E. Washington St.  The last bar in Indianapolis that you would ever want to go into and start a fight in. Best 15 bucks I have ever spent other than back in the 70's.

Pokorney would still be ranked. I think you will see Mendez, Cernus, and maybe Donahue in the next rankings with maybe 1-2 of these current guys falling out as well. 

Returning guys who will be in next years rankings:

Cernus, Seltzer, Littell, Mendez, Lee, Donahue, Allred. Who else?

Side note: Cernus and Mendez were two of my favorite guys to watch. WOW they were fun! Mendez is the best freshman since Angel.

8 hours ago, H.B. said:

I know we often say, “Indiana is on the come up,” but ironically, this year seemed like a down year...

...If you looked in the state finals programs, you’ll see outside of 126, 145, or 152 there was no depth.

Well, I do believe that Indiana HS wrestling is most certainly on the rise & has been for a decade or more.

First, if you expect that every single year the numbers are going to equal the very best years then you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Second, I believe you can look through the brackets & find several wrestlers that deserve national recognition or at least would fair very well against the nationally ranked kids.

106 - Cernus

113 - Seltzer

120 - Boarman, Bettich

126 - Mendez, Rioux, Curtis, Watts

132 - Viduya

138 - Rooks

145 - Mosconi

152 - Rodgers, Noehre, Dickens

160 - Slivka

170 - Mahan

182 - Donahue

Now some of those I just listed aren't getting recognition because of age and some others because they aren't active enough on the national scene, but they are all very capable of competing well at that level.

Technology has caused crowd to drop. I’ve had to miss last two years for family obligations and having the IHSAA app on the fire stick has made me not really miss it. Also the pricing of hotel rooms have spiked the last 2-3 years, all that combined into people staying home. 

12 minutes ago, TripleB said:

Technology has caused crowd to drop. I’ve had to miss last two years for family obligations and having the IHSAA app on the fire stick has made me not really miss it. Also the pricing of hotel rooms have spiked the last 2-3 years, all that combined into people staying home. 

How has the IHSAA app on a Fire Stick helped? I use 3 FireTV devices in my home, but I paid Trackwrestling $15 to be able to view all the preliminary rounds, then watched the finals on Fox Sports Indiana.

I really think you are missing the big picture here.  What makes this event the BEST HIGH SCHOOL EVENT in the state is everything about it!  Think about how many wrestlers each year try to get to state?  Over 6,000+ from all over.  Then they go through sectionals, regionals and semi-State hoping to be one of the 224 wrestlers to compete for what they probably have been dreaming about all their lives!!!! Then, once they get to state, they hope to survive the that aweful FRIDAY NIGHT DRAW.   If they win that match, they are guaranteed a spot on the podium!!! Now we are down to 112 wrestlers Saturday morning.  And to make things more exciting, we all hope for those wrestlers that are not highly ranked to make a run at it! Not everyone is going to be a nationally ranked wrestler, which makes the drama even better!!! How boring it would be if every wrestler was nationally ranked.  So now we have these 112 wrestlers battling their butts off to get the top prize!!! Nothing is more exciting to watch every year than the finals, under the light, no matter who it is.  There’s nothing like it!

9 minutes ago, luv2compete said:

I really think you are missing the big picture here.  What makes this event the BEST HIGH SCHOOL EVENT in the state is everything about it!  Think about how many wrestlers each year try to get to state?  Over 6,000+ from all over.  Then they go through sectionals, regionals and semi-State hoping to be one of the 224 wrestlers to compete for what they probably have been dreaming about all their lives!!!! Then, once they get to state, they hope to survive the that aweful FRIDAY NIGHT DRAW.   If they win that match, they are guaranteed a spot on the podium!!! Now we are down to 112 wrestlers Saturday morning.  And to make things more exciting, we all hope for those wrestlers that are not highly ranked to make a run at it! Not everyone is going to be a nationally ranked wrestler, which makes the drama even better!!! How boring it would be if every wrestler was nationally ranked.  So now we have these 112 wrestlers battling their butts off to get the top prize!!! Nothing is more exciting to watch every year than the finals, under the light, no matter who it is.  There’s nothing like it!

I think having a nationally ranked wrestler in the field makes it more exciting because often he’s looked at as the best or one of the best guys in his weight, and the chance of him advancing is 50/50. For example, last year, McIntosh was the #1 and nationally ranked combatant who went down to a game Slivka and a fast-improving Graves. This year, 220 was the most fun weight this year for me. We saw previously nationally ranked Cornwell go down Friday night, nationally ranked Irick get pinned, #1 Bolte go down, and eventual champ Fowler make a huge comeback pin. The stakes were incredibly high for a weight that could have so many different champs from quality wrestlers. Watching Slivka beat Washington was also exhilarating. When we see competitors with a strong national presence go down in Indiana, it makes me excited about our talent pool.

42 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

How has the IHSAA app on a Fire Stick helped? I use 3 FireTV devices in my home, but I paid Trackwrestling $15 to be able to view all the preliminary rounds, then watched the finals on Fox Sports Indiana.

Well I don't watch the Quarters or Semis, the app has given me the ability to watch the finals as my Fox Sports affiliate is Ohio. 

1 hour ago, SIACfan said:

1 hour ago, SIACfan said:

If the numbers were down a bit at Bankers Life because of technology, then I am sure thousands of people were watching it LIVE all over the country.  I know my family was watching from Colorado, Georgia & Florida.  So I believe this event will always be the biggest in IHSAA sports!

Guys, I understand that technology has made it easier to stay home.   I also realize people have to work or can’t afford to go.  But, do you guys remember when we use to get angry at the fans who left during the 215-hwt finals.  Yeah, our argument was they deserve the same respect as those in the other weights.  Sometimes I feel we need to remember if we don’t support our sport, there won’t be one.  I will be the first to admit I am guilty, so I am talking to myself as well.  But guys we all know what that building is like when it is filled with fans, let’s keep making it a special event for those that make it.  They can’t hear us cheer from the couch.

On 2/18/2019 at 1:41 AM, H.B. said:

I know we often say, “Indiana is on the come up,” but ironically, this year seemed like a down year. For starters, you could see attendance was down compared to years’ past, and those I sat with and talked with afterwards also took notice. Also, the depth of this class seems down in comparison to previous years. For example, in 2014, we had multiple nationally ranked wrestlers at a majority of the weights or lots of returning state qualifiers/placers at a lot of the weights. In 2015, we had someone ranked in every weight. I remember looking at Flo and InterMat religiously throughout the season checking for names and headlines. We had lots of depth. In 2015, most of those wrestlers were already ranked, but some became nationally ranked after the state tournament due to the recognition of their talent.

106 - Konrath

113 - Pepple

120 - Red, Glogouski

126 - Micic, Lee

132 - Wilson, James

145 - LeCount, Forte

160 - Corsaro

220 - Robinson, Miller, Tolley

285 - Bernard, Hemmelgarn, Streck, Oglesby

106 - Cummings

113 - Pepple, Hildebrandt, Konrath

120 - Hudkins, Bailey

126 - Red

132 - Lee, Coy

138 - Cash, Lee, James

145 - Covaciu

152 - Forte

160 - Hughes

170 - Lydy 

182 - Osborn

195 - Rypel

220 - Woods

285 - Streck, Trawick, Oglesby

113 - Jacob Moran

120 - Brayden Littell

132 - Asa Garcia

138 - Cayden Rooks

145 - Matthew Lee

160 - Donnell Washington

170 - Nick South, Graham Calhoun

182 - Carson Brewer

195 - Silas Allred

Big difference. If you looked in the state finals programs, you’ll see outside of 126, 145, or 152 there was no depth. A lot of the participants were first time competitors. At heavyweight, outside of Watts, it was everyone’s first appearance. A lot of the wrestlers we had ranked in years’ past were also in the middle of near the top. It didn’t look too good this year. No disrespect to any of these amazing athletes. I’m just unsure as to if other states are just better this year or if we’ve had an off year, but I have faith in our state especially with this exciting freshman class. Hope to see more and more of our guys on the national level this summer.

170:  wrestling math---Calhoun loses to Blubaugh 1-0.  Fielden defeats Blubaugh 6-4.  Walker loses 1-0 to South and 7-5 to Calhoun.  I'd say we had numerous 170's who can compete nationally, or already have done so.  

13 hours ago, nkraus said:

170:  wrestling math---Calhoun loses to Blubaugh 1-0.  Fielden defeats Blubaugh 6-4.  Walker loses 1-0 to South and 7-5 to Calhoun.  I'd say we had numerous 170's who can compete nationally, or already have done so.  

Don't forget Parkinson beat Blubaugh 3-2 and lost to South 3-0 at SS  

38 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Don't forget Parkinson beat Blubaugh 3-2 and lost to South 3-0 at SS  

Yes and took a lead on Fielden during the second.  Fielden was majored by South in the finals, but also lost a tight one to Sourh 3-1 at Al Smith.  

5EED9F91-01BE-47DD-B2A7-10CD0E1D0431.png

Edited by nkraus

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.