Does Indiana Wrestling Need Divisions?

With the 1A/2A State Championship this weekend, it got me thinking … Is it time for Indiana to have different divisions for wrestling, similar to football or basketball?

I’ll save my opinion for later, but I’m curious as to what others think.

2 hours ago, Zach Richards said:

With the 1A/2A State Championship this weekend, it got me thinking … Is it time for Indiana to have different divisions for wrestling, similar to football or basketball?

I’ll save my opinion for later, but I’m curious as to what others think.

While it isn’t a representation of all 1A/2A teams across the state, some of the best in those lower classes were there today. That said, no. Most if not all of the champions today were Friday nighters or SS qualifiers/ticket rounders.

I’m new to this website, so sorry for jumping on your dead horse 🤪

But just hear me out for a minute.

If you look at Indianamat’s Pound For Pound Rankings, the top 15 wrestlers in the state attend schools that are 4A or higher in football.

I believe there are 4 main factors to consider:

1. Coaching staff - A larger school is going to have more coaches.  It will most likely have higher quality coaches.  There’s a reason why the best football coaches are in the SEC and not coaching at Indiana State (no offense).
  2. Enrollment - It’s simply a numbers game.  A larger school is going to have more student athletes.  And that leads to a more competitive wrestling room.  A 1A or 2A school might struggle just to fill its lineup while a 5A or 6A school has a wrestling room full of accomplished wrestlers.
  3. Location - Let’s face it.  Smaller schools tend to be in more rural areas.  Take a look at a large school in the Indianapolis area.  How many highly competitive tournaments can a wrestler go to during the offseason within a 50 mile radius?  And then compare that to a small school in the middle of nowhere?  It’s just harder to get to the better tournaments, which make you a better wrestler.
  4. Offseason Resources - Wrestling (much like many other sports today) has become a year-round commitment.  Larger schools have the resources to have a robust offseason program.  Wrestling club.  Youth program.  Tournament.  Etc.  But all of those things require volunteers.  The smaller schools struggle to be able to achieve these same results.

While I like the idea of wrestling being a sport where it’s just you against your opponent, then the size of your school doesn’t matter.  But at the end of the day, it really does matter. A 1A school will never be able to compete against a 6A school.

And just as a hypothetical, what is the worst that would happen if Indiana created 3 divisions?  There would be more state champs?  Smaller schools would have more to get excited about wrestling?

And what would be the downside?  That it would make a state championship less meaningful?  I don’t really think that is the case, because the most competitive programs and wrestlers are going to come from the biggest schools anyways.

I think it would make the sport more relevant throughout the state.

Ok, I’m done now.  Where do you guys want me to put this dead horse?

1 hour ago, Ahawkeye said:

Somebody needs to find a dead horse, we're gonna need it.

20 minutes ago, TeamGarcia said:

Beating A Dead Horse GIF by 100 gecs
@Ahawkeye & I giving the Peoples Elbows to this dead horse . Take that dead horse and its posts . 

Pouring Austin Powers GIF
Here is TeamGarcia pouring one out for the dead horse he just laid The Peoples Elbow on . 

200.gif?cid=d338e8bb61nklwxw5pkgxr6tstce 

Memorial obituary for that dead horse that died from The People’s Elbow being dropped on it !

Dead Horse Post

March 2024-March 2024 

Edited by TeamGarcia

I think you all need to cut Zach Richards some slack.  He apparently has never posted in IndianaMat before and probably was not aware of the hornet’s nest he was disturbing.  Well, I guess he knows now.
😀

Unless of course he is just a troll who took out a new account just to stir the pot.  🤔

8 hours ago, Zach Richards said:

I’m new to this website, so sorry for jumping on your dead horse 🤪

But just hear me out for a minute.

If you look at Indianamat’s Pound For Pound Rankings, the top 15 wrestlers in the state attend schools that are 4A or higher in football.

I believe there are 4 main factors to consider:

1. Coaching staff - A larger school is going to have more coaches.  It will most likely have higher quality coaches.  There’s a reason why the best football coaches are in the SEC and not coaching at Indiana State (no offense).
  2. Enrollment - It’s simply a numbers game.  A larger school is going to have more student athletes.  And that leads to a more competitive wrestling room.  A 1A or 2A school might struggle just to fill its lineup while a 5A or 6A school has a wrestling room full of accomplished wrestlers.
  3. Location - Let’s face it.  Smaller schools tend to be in more rural areas.  Take a look at a large school in the Indianapolis area.  How many highly competitive tournaments can a wrestler go to during the offseason within a 50 mile radius?  And then compare that to a small school in the middle of nowhere?  It’s just harder to get to the better tournaments, which make you a better wrestler.
  4. Offseason Resources - Wrestling (much like many other sports today) has become a year-round commitment.  Larger schools have the resources to have a robust offseason program.  Wrestling club.  Youth program.  Tournament.  Etc.  But all of those things require volunteers.  The smaller schools struggle to be able to achieve these same results.

While I like the idea of wrestling being a sport where it’s just you against your opponent, then the size of your school doesn’t matter.  But at the end of the day, it really does matter. A 1A school will never be able to compete against a 6A school.

And just as a hypothetical, what is the worst that would happen if Indiana created 3 divisions?  There would be more state champs?  Smaller schools would have more to get excited about wrestling?

And what would be the downside?  That it would make a state championship less meaningful?  I don’t really think that is the case, because the most competitive programs and wrestlers are going to come from the biggest schools anyways.

I think it would make the sport more relevant throughout the state.

Ok, I’m done now.  Where do you guys want me to put this dead horse?

Zach, you’ve made a lot of good points for which many on this board agrees with you whole heartedly.  And then there are others who consider your stated opinions to be heresy.  And then there are others whose opinions vary at all levels in between.  This topic has been debated on IndianaMat ad nauseum, which is why all the comments about the dead horse.

8 hours ago, Unknown Caller said:

Full wrestle backs for individual tournament no classes. 

class team state series. Bam done. Put a bow on it. Time to move on. Next topic. 

Wrestle backs you say? What an interesting idea. 

Please tell me, have any other states implemented these "wrestle backs" , or would Indiana be the first?

I cannot express how sad I am to be reading this thread so late.

Yes, we should absolutely have divisions. Small schools are not playing the same game large schools are and should not be competing against them in the same tournament.

We don't make the team sports do that, so making the individual sports do it makes very little sense.

You can search galagore for all of my other logic. I am too sad to post it all right now.