Bring Back General Admission Seating

Hats off to Evansville and all the people who worked hard to give us a State tourney. This post is NOT a complaint about this weekend.  I’ve mentioned this in the past but will do it again this year. Bring back General Admission (GA) seating but with a caveat. As the kids say (and it drives me crazy), “Hear me out” . . . 

The problem has never been GA as a concept. Get there early, get good seats and sit together. The problem has always been an enforcement issue regarding not saving seats. Teams send their best enforcers/pit bulls to hold 100 seats with blankets, sheets, and jackets. They then scream at people who want to sit where they are holding seats. 

The solution - charge us all $3 more a ticket. Multiply that by 10k+ fans and use that $30k to beef up security simply for the beginning of each session when the seat saving stampede happens. $30k in security to tell people to quit spreading bedding over seats and a seat is not saved with nobody in it. Security can break/leave or whatever after the stampede is done. No octogenarian ushers - real security. 

Who among us wouldn’t spend an extra $3 to go back to the old way but avoid unnecessary confrontation?  Want to sit together? Great, have a bunch of fans meet in the lobby at “go time” and grab a whole section together. Want to show up late with only one or 2 people?  Awesome, look for 2 seats together anywhere that’s open. And yes, common sense prevails. Holding 2 seats while someone is in the bathroom or your parents or in-laws who walk slowly is okay. That’s common sense. I’m talking about avoiding the people holding down ENTIRE sections with 5 “enforcers”.

$3. Come on folks, let’s do this!  GA! GA! GA!    

General admission was terrible. Belligerent teams would use 4-5 people to block off several entire rows. When the rest of their fans arrived, there would be many unused seats. I like the idea of GA in the upper deck. Let those teams sit up there. 

5 minutes ago, jcs12402 said:

General admission was terrible. Belligerent teams would use 4-5 people to block off several entire rows. When the rest of their fans arrived, there would be many unused seats. I like the idea of GA in the upper deck. Let those teams sit up there. 

My proposed solution addresses that.  This is a discussion board so please poke holes in that idea (I have thick skin) but it’s like you completely ignored the post. 

21 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

We can make the upper bowl general admission, never for the lower section.

Respect your opinion. But why not if we can enforce no seat saving?  Not stirring the pot, just honestly curious as to why it won’t work with no seat saving?  PS - I like the suggestion of maybe having the first few rows for family. Example - cheerleading competitions. Note - I have a daughter, but God love her those things were the worst. But the cool part was they had a section that you sat in when your daughter was on stage and then it cleared out for next team. No loitering. Maybe have a few rows when your athlete is wrestling you can sit in for their match but nobody can stay there all day. We are talking a few extra security guards - not the entire National Guard. 

Edited by Lawdiggity

3 minutes ago, Lawdiggity said:

Respect your opinion. But why not if we can enforce no seat saving?  Not stirring the pot, just honestly curious as to why it won’t work with no seat saving?  PS - I like the suggestion of maybe having the first few rows for family. Example - cheerleading competitions. Note - I have a daughter, but God love her those things were the worst. But the cool part was they had a section that you sat in when your daughter was on stage and then it cleared out for next team. No loitering. Maybe have a few rows when your athlete is wrestling you can sit in for their match but nobody can stay there all day. We are talking a few extra security guards - not the entire National Guard. 

Here is an example...

What if I get a seat then go to grab something to eat or to the restroom? Does the enforcer then open the seat for the next person? What if your friend stays and says, hey he went to get something to eat? How do you ENFORCE that? 

7 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Here is an example...

What if I get a seat then go to grab something to eat or to the restroom? Does the enforcer then open the seat for the next person? What if your friend stays and says, hey he went to get something to eat? How do you ENFORCE that? 

Thanks for the explanation and fair point. I 100% can be wrong but I think this is what I was referring to when I said common sense prevails. If you are sitting in a section with your friends/team and you get up to get food and use the restroom I don’t think people would swoop in and scream “ nobody is sitting there”!!!!  Leave your jacket. Assuming 20 of you don’t use the restroom at the same time then someone just says “sorry man, he just went to get nachos”. I’m talking about enforcers saving 20 seats or so at a time. If one person holds down 20 seats while 20 go to Kilroys for an hour, maybe a problem arises. But, respectfully, you are talking about an exception to the rule. 

Andy yes, I know I said “common sense” which is not all that common. But let’s be honest, 90%+ of the seat saving arguments occur after the stampede. That’s what I’m talking about. Not random twosie and threesie seats left unattended. 

Edited by Lawdiggity

1 minute ago, Lawdiggity said:

Thanks for the explanation and fair point. I 100% can be wrong but I think this is what I was referring to when I said common sense prevails. If you are sitting in a section with your friends/team and you get up to get food and use the restroom I don’t think people would swoop in and scream “ nobody is sitting there”!!!!  Leave your jacket. Assuming 20 of you don’t use the restroom at the same time then someone just says “sorry man, he just went to get nachos”. I’m talking about enforcers saving 20 seats or so at a time. If one person holds down 20 seats while 20 go to Kilroys for an hour, maybe a problem arises. But, respectfully, you are talking about an exception to the rule. 

Andy yes, I know I said “common sense” which is not all that common. But let’s be honest, 90%+ of the seat saving arguments occur after the stampede. That’s what I’m talking about. Not random twosie and threesie seats left unattended. 

You must not be familiar with the how females go to the restroom then.

2 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

You must not be familiar with the how females go to the restroom then.

Ha. Love it. You got me. Just use the family road trip line of “we aren’t stopping for another hour”. Note - do NOT follow me for marital advice or life coaching tips. 

4 hours ago, Lawdiggity said:

Hats off to Evansville and all the people who worked hard to give us a State tourney. This post is NOT a complaint about this weekend.  I’ve mentioned this in the past but will do it again this year. Bring back General Admission (GA) seating but with a caveat. As the kids say (and it drives me crazy), “Hear me out” . . . 

The problem has never been GA as a concept. Get there early, get good seats and sit together. The problem has always been an enforcement issue regarding not saving seats. Teams send their best enforcers/pit bulls to hold 100 seats with blankets, sheets, and jackets. They then scream at people who want to sit where they are holding seats. 

The solution - charge us all $3 more a ticket. Multiply that by 10k+ fans and use that $30k to beef up security simply for the beginning of each session when the seat saving stampede happens. $30k in security to tell people to quit spreading bedding over seats and a seat is not saved with nobody in it. Security can break/leave or whatever after the stampede is done. No octogenarian ushers - real security. 

Who among us wouldn’t spend an extra $3 to go back to the old way but avoid unnecessary confrontation?  Want to sit together? Great, have a bunch of fans meet in the lobby at “go time” and grab a whole section together. Want to show up late with only one or 2 people?  Awesome, look for 2 seats together anywhere that’s open. And yes, common sense prevails. Holding 2 seats while someone is in the bathroom or your parents or in-laws who walk slowly is okay. That’s common sense. I’m talking about avoiding the people holding down ENTIRE sections with 5 “enforcers”.

$3. Come on folks, let’s do this!  GA! GA! GA!    

Ok- I’ll play, even though I suspect your intent is to lure people into a conversation so you can belittle them by inferring they lack common sense. 

GA almost guarantees everyone is forced to line up early and wait in the cold for an hour or more and then see who can push past as many people as possible without knocking anyone over.  Then when break time comes it’s time for round 2 of the pushing game.  

Here is the time when you insult my critical thinking followed by me not being surprised.  Having a username that starts with Law is a lead balloon of a clue that being demeaning and dismissive is your go to.  

The problem isn't assign seating its how they sold the tickets. They just need to come up with a better system to allow groups to have seats together. To be honest and I could be wrong but it didn't seam like there was a big issue of groups getting to sit together but I was only one section. It also seemed like the assigned seating was just a guideline as it was easy to move to a section that had empty seats. If we went back to general admission I don't see the beef up security happening the way you envisioned. Yea some sections might be ran well but I don't see them being able to get enough quality workers to make it run smoothly. I personally like the idea or knowing you'll have the same seats no matter when you get in line. I've actually have gotten to enjoyed lunch the last couple of years not having to rush back to make sure I'm early enough just to get to the section I've been all weekend and see all the seats saved. I don't want to have to have hopes that the workers are there to enforce no seat saving. Like I said they just need to fix the ticket process. 

They need to let the schools sell tickets in allotments. I bought tickets from the school for the football championship game as they were cheaper than Ticketmaster. This would hopefully get the qualifiers supporters good seating. These should be offered earlier than other tickets. Then have lower sections still available to be reserved & upper levels be general admission. 

9 hours ago, Keepitlegal said:

Ok- I’ll play, even though I suspect your intent is to lure people into a conversation so you can belittle them by inferring they lack common sense. 

GA almost guarantees everyone is forced to line up early and wait in the cold for an hour or more and then see who can push past as many people as possible without knocking anyone over.  Then when break time comes it’s time for round 2 of the pushing game.  

Here is the time when you insult my critical thinking followed by me not being surprised.  Having a username that starts with Law is a lead balloon of a clue that being demeaning and dismissive is your go to.  

Geez man, my “intent is to lure people in to a conversation so I can belittle them”?  Here is the time “when I can insult your critical thinking”?  Show me once where I did that. In this post or any post. Ever. I don’t roll like that. This is a discussion board. Most might have hated GA. Some obviously didn’t. If it came back there are other ways to do it but I certainly get it that many people gave good reasons they didn’t like it. 

As for my user name having “Law” in it and you making a wild jump inferring my screen name means I’ll be demeaning and dismissive, here is a thought. Maybe my real name has “Law” in it. In fact I’ll sign my actual name below as I’m not hiding anything. Have a good one man. It’s okay to discuss GA or not having GA. It’s what we are here for. 

Cheers, 

Chris Lawhead 

Not sure I want to go back to GA. Ticketmaster, you have 1 job, come on, figure it out. The school allotment idea seems good as long as AD's agree to do it. Once again I am reminded how different Wrestling is to the other sports which adds some complexity that needs addressed. 

One thing I do know, no way would I want to be security with GA. Don't think you could pay me enough to do it. You are either playing favorites, a jerk, too strict, too leninant or some combination of all the above. Been there done that...

You Got Mail GIF by Luke Guy
This guy works there ….^

Just got this email from Gainbridge/IHSAA/Ticket Master and he wanted me to put in BOLD, UNDERLINED ! 

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN ! 

IT FAILED IN 2019, YOU CRAZY WRESTLING FANS TOOK ADVANTAGE OF IT, DIDN’T STOP RUNNING, DOESN’T WORK PERIOD .  

We have video and proof

Happy Lets Go GIF by Football Australia 

As you can see you can TeamGarcia, @UncleJimmy, @Mattyb, @TripleB, Cathedral, Avon, Brownsburg, Perry, EMD, CP, and hundreds of Fans running for seats that we couldn’t identify. 
(SAFETY HAZARD)

WE SAID STOP RUNNING OR ELSE ! 

YOU WRESTLING FANS ARE GETTING THE ELSE . 

They wanted me to put a laughing emoji right beside Else . That’s where I drew the line . 

P.S. … @TripleB works for Ticket Master !