MASON PARRIS - DI NATIONAL CHAMPION!!!

MattM

• MattM changed the title to MASON PARRIS - DI NATIONAL CHAMPION!!!
18 minutes ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Da GOAT Indiana Heavy.  Sorry Big Wag.

When you take high school and college combined he just might be the GOAT of Indiana. Strong case for Mason, Howe, and Lee. I would imagine Mason, if healthy last year, might be a two time national champion. 

Very strong case for Parris now:

High School: 206-1 (1, 1, 1, 3)

College: 1st, 5th, 2nd (1 national title) 

World: 2019 junior world champ 

Crazy to think that Davison had a great showing placing 6 and the gap between 1/2 and 6 at heavy this year was a wide margin. Mason won I believe 10-1? 

But no doubt about it between Mason, Steveson (for those who claim him) Davison, and what I suspect will be next up Christian Carrol - the Hoosier State has been dominant at Heavy Weight recently. 

Edited by SunDevils

8 hours ago, SunDevils said:

When you take high school and college combined he just might be the GOAT of Indiana. Strong case for Mason, Howe, and Lee. I would imagine Mason, if healthy last year, might be a two time national champion. 

Very strong case for Parris now:

High School: 206-1 (1, 1, 1, 3)

College: 1st, 5th, 2nd (1 national title) 

World: 2019 junior world champ 

Crazy to think that Davison had a great showing placing 6 and the gap between 1/2 and 6 at heavy this year was a wide margin. Mason won I believe 10-1? 

But no doubt about it between Mason, Steveson (for those who claim him) Davison, and what I suspect will be next up Christian Carrol - the Hoosier State has been dominant at Heavy Weight recently. 

I'll go with Parris or Lee but Jesse isn't done yet.

20 hours ago, SunDevils said:

When you take high school and college combined he just might be the GOAT of Indiana. Strong case for Mason, Howe, and Lee.

Escobedo has to be in the equation... 

...and, for what it's worth, Sarah Hildebrandt's senior-level world hardware probably makes her the overall Indiana GOAT.

Edited by matts

5 hours ago, richyy253 said:

Let’s be honest if Gable had wrestled this year. Parris wouldn’t have had a title. Parris in my opinion has a lot more let to do to be considered the GOAT.

That's true, but falling short to one of, if not the, greatest Heavyweight(s) in USA history might deserve a little consideration.

Edited by gsmith58

12 hours ago, matts said:

Escobedo has to be in the equation... 

...and, for what it's worth, Sarah Hildebrandt's senior-level world hardware probably makes her the overall Indiana GOAT.

No disrespect to Sarah: she is the home girl. She doesn’t have the high school accolades to be the GOAT.  The criteria has to include all 3 levels.  

My Indiana GOAT list based on HS and College (I give more weight to college accomplishments):

Nick Lee - only losses in HS were to Micic and Red, 2x Fargo Champ, Jr Pan Am champ, went 5,5,1,1 in college, 5x AA

Andrew Howe - 192-1 in HS, Fargo champ, went 2,1,3,2 in college, 4x AA

Angel Escobedo - 223-1 in HS, 2x Fargo runner up, went 3,5,1,4 in college, 4x AA, 2x world team member

Mason Parris - 206-1 in HS, 2x flo nationals champ, jr world champ, DNP,2,5,1 in college, 

Jason Tsirtsis - 173-2 in HS, Fargo champ, went 1,3,7 in college

This list could change based on international results in the future.  If Parris is our guy at 125 kg for the foreseeable future and brings home world/olympic medals he will shoot to the top of the list

17 hours ago, richyy253 said:

Let’s be honest if Gable had wrestled this year. Parris wouldn’t have had a title. Parris in my opinion has a lot more let to do to be considered the GOAT.

Parris was the first wrestler from Indiana to win a world title at any age group. He has a seat at the table of the greats and has very strong arguments for best ever from Indiana.

14 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

My Indiana GOAT list based on HS and College (I give more weight to college accomplishments):

Nick Lee - only losses in HS were to Micic and Red, 2x Fargo Champ, Jr Pan Am champ, went 5,5,1,1 in college, 5x AA

Andrew Howe - 192-1 in HS, Fargo champ, went 2,1,3,2 in college, 4x AA

Angel Escobedo - 223-1 in HS, 2x Fargo runner up, went 3,5,1,4 in college, 4x AA, 2x world team member

Mason Parris - 206-1 in HS, 2x flo nationals champ, jr world champ, DNP,2,5,1 in college, 

Jason Tsirtsis - 173-2 in HS, Fargo champ, went 1,3,7 in college

This list could change based on international results in the future.  If Parris is our guy at 125 kg for the foreseeable future and brings home world/olympic medals he will shoot to the top of the list

Stevan Micic is the current GOAT based on individual accolades as he’s the only Olympian among the guys you listed. 184-5 in HS, 2013 Cadet World Team Member, 4-2-3 in college, 2020 Olympian, 2022 World Bronze Medalist. Even with no NCAA title, he’s the only one to see major success at the senior international level which I believe adds more weight. Mason would be second as he has a state, NCAA, and Junior world championship.

10 hours ago, blueandgold said:

Stevan Micic is the current GOAT based on individual accolades as he’s the only Olympian among the guys you listed. 184-5 in HS, 2013 Cadet World Team Member, 4-2-3 in college, 2020 Olympian, 2022 World Bronze Medalist. Even with no NCAA title, he’s the only one to see major success at the senior international level which I believe adds more weight. Mason would be second as he has a state, NCAA, and Junior world championship.

i give less credence to Micic.  Yes, he wrestled in the olympics.  But he wrestled for Serbia.  He wouldn't have made the team if he opted to wrestle for the US.  Couple that with less success at the NCAA level than the others and he's further down the list.  Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, CoachDuke2.0 said:

Off track a little bit. Who were the two guys that beat angel at fargo? 

2002 Cadets

Greco-Roman

119 lbs.
1st: Cameron Doggett (Ohio) dec Mitch Mueller (Iowa) 6-5
3rd: Angel Escobedo (Indiana) won by tech. fall over Tyler Howard (Oklahoma), 10-0
5th: Andrew Grillo (New York) dec. Vincent Ramirez (North Carolina), 4-3
7th: Cyler Sanderson (Utah) dec. Charles Knox Jr. (Kansas), 13-11

Freestyle
119 lbs.
1st: Jeff Schell (Pennsylvania) dec. Angel Esobedo (Indiana), 6-5
3rd: Khalid Andwele (Florida) dec. Cyler Sanderson (Utah), 6-2
5th: Jeff Becker (Pennsylvania) won by tech. fall over Dallas Seavey (Alaska), 15-3
7th: Tyler Shinn (Oregon) dec. Billy Exline (California), 5-4

2003 Juniors
Freestyle
125 pounds
1st – Coleman Scott (PA) dec. Angel Escobedo (IN), 5-2
3rd – Joe Gomez (IL) dec. Mack Reiter (IA), 4-0
5th – Andrew Hochstrasser (UT) dec. Drew Headlee (PA), 9-6
7th – Mitch Mueller (IA) won by tech. fall over Kyle Jahn (CA), 11-1, 4:27

130 ......1 ...Zach Bailey......................Missouri
130 ......2 ...Angel Escobedo ............... Indiana
130 ......3 ...Mitch Mueller ........................ Iowa
130 ......4 ...Nathan Morgan..............California
130 ......5 ...Adam Frey .............. Pennsylvania
130 ......6 ...Andrew Hochstrasser........... Utah
130 ......7 ... Joe Kemmerer........ Pennsylvania
130 ......8 ... Joe Gomez .........................Illinois

Accomplishments are obviously a big factor but I also consider how enjoyable and exciting it is to watch them wrestle.  Nick Lee was always so fun to watch because he was constantly on the offense.  Mason Parris was fun to watch because he did moves that are traditionally non-HWT moves. Not saying the others weren't enjoyable, just using these two as examples. 

20 minutes ago, Paycheck141 said:

Is he the first wrestler from Indiana to win a Hodge Trophy or have there been others? 

Yes he is the first from Indiana, unless you want to count Gable Stevesons boyhood home.  This award has only been around since 1995, so not a tremendously long list of recipients.