Best Single Seasons

blueandgold

Obviously, by the title, this can go many ways, but what are some of the best individual seasons you have ever witnessed in our state?

I have a few off the top of my head.

• Mitch Sliga (Fishers), 2013 - His closest match all year was a major decision victory over Bloomington South's #2 Clayton Fiddler in the State semifinals.
  • Cody LeCount (Perry Meridian), 2014 - Set the school pin record and pinned both #2 Tommy Forte of Mishawaka and #3 Ben Harvey of Cathedral.
  • Nick Lee (Evansville Mater Dei), 2015 - I believe he earned bonus on every opponent en route to his lone state championship over #18 Jordan Vaughn of Franklin Central.
  • Blake Rypel (Cathedral), 2015 - I believe he pinned his way through the season except for a single technical fall on Perry Meridian's #4 Tristen Tonte in the Semi-State finals.
  • Chad Red (New Palestine), 2016 - Earned bonus on everyone except for defending champion and Fargo champion #2 Nick Lee of Evansville Mater Dei.
  • Shawn Streck (Merrillville), 2016 - Only one person the whole year went the distance with him in a six-minute match, that being Lawrence North's #6 Robert Samuels in the heavyweight championship of the State Finals.
  • Brayton Lee (Brownsburg), 2018 - I believe he teched his way through the State Finals that year and had bonus points every match that season.
  • Mason Parris (Lawrenceburg), 2018 - I'm pretty sure he earned bonus in every match of that season and no one finished a match.

Edited by blueandgold

51 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

Obviously, by the title, this can go many ways, but what are some of the best individual seasons you have ever witnessed in our state?

I have a few off the top of my head.

• Mitch Sliga (Fishers), 2013 - His closest match all year was a major decision victory over Bloomington South's #2 Clayton Fiddler in the State semifinals.
  • Cody LeCount (Perry Meridian), 2014 - Set the school pin record and pinned both #2 Tommy Forte of Mishawaka and #3 Ben Harvey of Cathedral.
  • Nick Lee (Evansville Mater Dei), 2015 - I believe he earned bonus on every opponent en route to his lone state championship over #18 Jordan Vaughn of Franklin Central.
  • Blake Rypel (Cathedral), 2015 - I believe he pinned his way through the season except for a single technical fall on Perry Meridian's #4 Tristen Tonte in the Semi-State finals.
  • Chad Red (New Palestine), 2016 - Earned bonus on everyone except for defending champion and Fargo champion #2 Nick Lee of Evansville Mater Dei.
  • Shawn Streck (Merrillville), 2016 - Only one person the whole year went the distance with him in a six-minute match, that being Lawrence North's #6 Robert Samuels in the heavyweight championship of the State Finals.
  • Brayton Lee (Brownsburg), 2018 - I believe he teched his way through the State Finals that year and had bonus points every match that season.
  • Mason Parris (Lawrenceburg), 2018 - I'm pretty sure he earned bonus in every match of that season and no one finished a match.

Silas Allred won his senior year with all falls I believe 

7 hours ago, blueandgold said:

That major was my fault. His teammate (Seth Riley) had just lost in the semis by getting thrown in the 3rd period while he had a lead.  I wouldn't let Mitch cut Fiddler the 2nd half of the match. Looking back, he probably wouldn't have gotten headlocked after all the times I tried to throw him in practice.

3 minutes ago, GrecoCoach said:

That major was my fault. His teammate (Seth Riley) had just lost in the semis by getting thrown in the 3rd period while he had a lead.  I wouldn't let Mitch cut Fiddler the 2nd half of the match. Looking back, he probably wouldn't have gotten headlocked after all the times I tried to throw him in practice.

I believe the match you are referring to was when Riley was up 10-6 on Jake Masengale before the toss, correct?

2 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

I believe the match you are referring to was when Riley was up 10-6 on Jake Masengale before the toss, correct?

That's correct. Seth was unranked - he could beat anyone but also lose to anyone. He went on quite a run that state finals.

I don't know what consists of the best "single season" criteria exactly, but my favorite story was Elkhart Memorial's Steve Stahl winning state at 189 lbs. in the 2007-8 season.  The way I understood it was Stahl was not going to wrestle that year.  He was coming off a fifth place finish at 145 with a 42-4 record, only losing to Kyle Ullery from New Palestine at state in a 18-10 slugfest.  I have no idea why Stahl was sitting out or what got him to come back, but he came back close to midseason.  I am pretty sure he lost to Jimtown's Ryan Konrath four times, including the finals at Al Smith, sectionals, regionals, and semistate, which were Stahl's only losses.  At state, Konrath was upset by Crown Point's Marcus Shrewsbury in the Saturday quarters by 7-1.  Stahl made the finals vs. Shrewsbury and won 2-1 in a tight, defensive match.

Edited by busstogate
left out the weight class.

12 minutes ago, busstogate said:

I don't know what consists of the best "single season" criteria exactly, but my favorite story was Elkhart Memorial's Steve Stahl winning state at 189 lbs. in the 2007-8 season.  The way I understood it was Stahl was not going to wrestle that year.  He was coming off a fifth place finish at 145 with a 42-4 record, only losing to Kyle Ullery from New Palestine at state in a 18-10 slugfest.  I have no idea why Stahl was sitting out or what got him to come back, but he came back close to midseason.  I am pretty sure he lost to Jimtown's Ryan Konrath four times, including the finals at Al Smith, sectionals, regionals, and semistate, which were Stahl's only losses.  At state, Konrath was upset by Crown Point's Marcus Shrewsbury in the Saturday quarters by 7-1.  Stahl made the finals vs. Shrewsbury and won 2-1 in a tight, defensive match.

Thats called "luckiest" season.

Mason Todd Pendleton Heights 

Finishes junior year undefeated.

Knocks off undefeated & two time defending state champion Cody Phillips at the semi-state (that many thought would never be beat).  Runs the table at state finals beating Jarred Brooks in the finals. 

If we're adding "holy cow" factors into the mix...

Jeremiah Harvey placed third out of sectional...

Won Regional and Semi-state...

Last six matches of the season

SS semifinals - avenged his only 4 losses of the season (all losses were to Abe hall - dual, super dual, conference title, sectional semifinals)

SS finals - won in OT

Friday night - first period pin

Saturday morning - won in OT

Saturday afternoon - won in UTB

Under the lights - won in OT

It was as thrilling as you'll get and is a prime example of catching "lightning in a bottle"

Allred only having one match go the distance in 2 seasons and that being the finals his jr year vs current IU starter Willham still winning by major..

Pinned everybody his senior season including his way through state.. career where he went 144-2 with 139 pins in 146 matches wrestled and that's highest pinning percentage ever.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.