Jump to content

Recommended Posts

126 is definitely the deepest weight class in the state. But who comes out on top? Or even top 4? Hard to say. Rooks, Garica, Mills, Viduya, the list goes on! Garcia did just suffer his first loss but don't think that won't change because it very well could. Mills is on a roll and looking for a gold medal his senior year. Rooks and Viduya are both looking to get that gold medal for the second year in a row. And did I mention that Mills, Garcia, AND Rooks are all coming out of the same semi state! It comes down to whose coach will have their wrestlers peeking at the right time. Any predictions? 

Edited by RKS22
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have Probably Mentioned Colin Poynter from Portage above. Leroy will have him ready to go and will be a tough match for anybody mentioned above. If it all comes together he is my pick to be standing on top of the podium Sat Night.......Good Luck to all the boys it is a brutal bracket at the Bank!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

What a stacked weight. 3 state champions and a runner up!

rooks probably has the best practice partners with mills second. 

 

Viduya has a clearer path to state but hell have to have to go through at least 2 of them to win state and potentially 3. 

 

SOS goes to Garcia with Mills second. 

I really can’t decide. I’d say whoever wins semi state in Evansville won’t win state. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd use caution in overlooking Smiley from Beech Grove in the 126 conversation. The Viduya vs Smiley record this year is 2-1 in favor of A.V.  And they both will likely wrestle each other at least twice more at Regional and Semi-State.  I think Alec may have turned a psychological corner on him....but I expect 2 more great matches.

Admittedly.....I'm partial to Viduya and Asa due to relationships built between parents & wrestlers through national competitions.  But Smiley is a very capable young man as it pertains to podium predictions.  And obviously his commitment to Purdue speaks for itself.  

Fully agree.....deepest weight class and worth the price of admission by itself at the Bank. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If New Castle is paired with Evansville @ 126 you will see on Friday night 4 matches involving the wrestlers below:

Evansville SS - #1 Garcia, #2 Rooks, #6 Mills, #8 Willis, #10 Egil, #12 Denny

New Castle SS - #3 Viduya, #5 Smiley, #13 Ragle, #15 Johnson, #16 Hall, Unranked Phillips (has defeated Ragle 2x in the last few weeks)

#1 vs #16, #2 vs #15, etc..... can be expected when you are down to the Final 16 but not #1 vs #5 or #2 vs #3. Of course it happens at least 1x every year....blind draw can be a .............

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Perseverance said:

I'd use caution in overlooking Smiley from Beech Grove in the 126 conversation. The Viduya vs Smiley record this year is 2-1 in favor of A.V.  And they both will likely wrestle each other at least twice more at Regional and Semi-State.  I think Alec may have turned a psychological corner on him....but I expect 2 more great matches.

Admittedly.....I'm partial to Viduya and Asa due to relationships built between parents & wrestlers through national competitions.  But Smiley is a very capable young man as it pertains to podium predictions.  And obviously his commitment to Purdue speaks for itself.  

Fully agree.....deepest weight class and worth the price of admission by itself at the Bank. 

Wow you posted that at the exact same time as me XD 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I predict the fans will get a pretty good show for the cost just for 126, if everything falls into place. A lot of quality wrestlers. Which one can find their opponents small weakness and take advantage of it? All solid wrestlers so the margin is pretty small, but that's what makes wrestling fun to watch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Indysportsfan said:

If New Castle is paired with Evansville @ 126 you will see on Friday night...

If Mooresville is paired with Jeffersonville @ 126 in the E'ville SS, then one mighty fine wrestler is being sent home before that Friday night ever happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What is crazy is that not one of the aforementioned wrestlers have flinched.  One would have thought that at least one of these kids would have cut down. Any one of these kids would probably be the favorite to win it at 120, but not a move. It goes to show you the supreme confidence these wrestlers have to get it done at 126.  Looking forward to this bracket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, badpta said:

What is crazy is that not one of the aforementioned wrestlers have flinched.  One would have thought that at least one of these kids would have cut down. Any one of these kids would probably be the favorite to win it at 120, but not a move. It goes to show you the supreme confidence these wrestlers have to get it done at 126.  Looking forward to this bracket.

Hunter watts, Tylor Triana, Sam Fair are all at 120, if these 3 were up at 126 it would make it even more interesting...I don't think anyone is a sure favorite at either of the 2 weights...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, navy80 said:

What a stacked weight. 3 state champions and a runner up!

rooks probably has the best practice partners with mills second. 

 

Viduya has a clearer path to state but hell have to have to go through at least 2 of them to win state and potentially 3. 

 

SOS goes to Garcia with Mills second. 

I really can’t decide. I’d say whoever wins semi state in Evansville won’t win state. 

Poynter portage has peele, moran hegedus rumph all ranked plus Vega 3x ncaa semi finalist, Eric Keith state champ and Sean McMurry 3x champ not a bad room. Coach Vega is currently injured 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, badpta said:

What is crazy is that not one of the aforementioned wrestlers have flinched.  One would have thought that at least one of these kids would have cut down. Any one of these kids would probably be the favorite to win it at 120, but not a move. It goes to show you the supreme confidence these wrestlers have to get it done at 126.  Looking forward to this bracket.

 How about Smiley cut down from 132 to join the mix!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tyquhp13 said:

Friday nite @ 126 is gonna be worth the price, no matter the placing at semi state

I'm not talking about the placing, I'm talking about making past the ticket round.

With Mills/Garcia most likely going 1-2 at Mooresville (order not intended) & Rooks most likely the 1 seed out of Jeffersonville, if the Mooresville's (2) gets paired in the same bracket as Jeff's (1) then 1 of those 3 is not making it to Bankers Life. I know this type of thing happens a lot but still... WRESTLEBACKS!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

I'm not talking about the placing, I'm talking about making past the ticket round.

With Mills/Garcia most likely going 1-2 at Mooresville (order not intended) & Rooks most likely the 1 seed out of Jeffersonville, if the Mooresville's (2) gets paired in the same bracket as Jeff's (1) then 1 of those 3 is not making it to Bankers Life. I know this type of thing happens a lot but still... WRESTLEBACKS!!!

It is an impossible task to get the best 16 to Bankers.....IMPOSSIBLE.  I am happy for the wrestler, who is NOT in the top 16, that was given the opportunity to walk through their school on Friday to the cheers of many of their classmates.  Yes I know there is a deserving kid that was left out because of a crappy draw, but for every door that closes another door opens.  That is just life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SIACfan said:

If Mooresville is paired with Jeffersonville @ 126 in the E'ville SS, then one mighty fine wrestler is being sent home before that Friday night ever happens.

In 2016 Asa beat Rooks at 106 in the ticket round in Evv SS in UTB if I remember right.  I went down to the first row by that mat since my kid has his ticket round match right after, so it was right in front of me.  Rooks was done for the year then wins State the next year.  #studs  #weneedwrestlebacksatSS

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, backtothemat said:

In 2016 Asa beat Rooks at 106 in the ticket round in Evv SS in UTB if I remember right.  I went down to the first row by that mat since my kid has his ticket round match right after, so it was right in front of me.  Rooks was done for the year then wins State the next year.  #studs  #weneedwrestlebacksatSS

One of my other favorite matches from the 2051-16 Evv SS and on the same mat was Egli vs. Denny at 106.  Egli was winning by a few pts and was chin whipped or thrown by Denny with under 20 seconds left and lost a heart breaker.  I became a Denny fan that match (already was an Egli fan).

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

This is true, but wrestlebacks would at least go a long way towards ensuring that the 4 best from each given SS would advance.

How do we really know who the top 4 from each SS is?  Do they just keep wrestling back till everyone is happy with who finally makes it. On any given day, the results could have a different outcome with the talent that's gonna be here. As upsetting as it is to see ones season end, it's also the beautiful thing about this sport. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.