In The Bleachers

Good point OTR 219...

Who would be your locks this year? 

Here are mine...

* Red

* N. Lee

* Forte

* Rypel

James may be a lock as well, but I think the Cash match can potentially be interesting.  With that being said, only one MV semi-state lock, so although I too think Merrillville will have the most champs it is by far not certain.

Good point OTR 219...

Here are mine...

* Red

* N. Lee

* Forte

* Rypel

James may be a lock as well, but I think the Cash match can potentially be interesting. With that being said, only one MV semi-state lock, so although I too think Merrillville will have the most champs it is by far not certain.

STRECK? Not considered a lock then huh!! Edited by fanatic46041

I did some math and calculated the projected placing by semi-state based on the latest rankings.   I took the top 8 ranked guys from each SS and added them up.  Only once was there a SS with 5 ranked guys in the the top 8 and that was 182 at New Castle, so I only gave them credit for four since they can only place four. 

Of course you have to take ranking with a grain of salt as we know things will be somewhat different.  Curious to see how actual compares to rankings.

Projected top 8 placers

Fort Wayne =22

Evansville = 25

Merrillville= 26

New Castle=39

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Good point OTR 219...

Here are mine...

* Red

* N. Lee

* Forte

* Rypel

James may be a lock as well, but I think the Cash match can potentially be interesting.  With that being said, only one MV semi-state lock, so although I too think Merrillville will have the most champs it is by far not certain.

it may sound crazy and alot of people may not agree but i dont believe forte is an ABSOLUTE lock. kemper is very very good.

Edited by Wrestling4EVER

I didn't think that anything is ever a true lock but pretty close

1. Rypel- win by fall over semi finalist Scott

2. Chad red- 2x undefeated champ

3. Forte champ 2x finalist

4. Nick lee 1 high school loss to a 3x

5. Drew Hughes just majored a runner up

6. Cummings Lowell 120 and 170 have been the best to rank all year because the talent is so deep

113 has 2 runners up

138 has 2 finalist/champ

145 has a finalist a couple medalist

182 is deep with talent

220 woods has been tigr with guerra

285 2 talented semi finalist

I still feel like this season could have a lot of guys who wrestle we'll win that weight

New castle kids eat each other up in the ticket rd. evidence dingos preview. Now before all u region people crucify me, I know there are death matches there too. I just think there is an inordinate amout at NC this year. So I think our placers might be down?

There are many tough tickets at FW & EV too. There no one can yell at me!

My picks in order of confidence:

1) 126 - Red

2) 152 - Forte 

3) 132 - Lee

4) 195 - Rypel (a few studs Tonte, Anderson, Scott, but I think Rypel is that good)

5) 138 - James (had to think twice about putting 138 this high with Cash in this weight, but again I think James is that good)

6) 220 - Woods (finds a way to get it done)

7) 106 - Cummings (one of the weaker weight classes)

8) 182 - Osborn (one of the weaker weight classes)

9) 145 - Covaciu (definitely some guys who could make it interesting: McCormick, Lawrence, etc.)

10) 160 - Hughes (I think he could be higher up on this list, but Schurg makes me hesitate on this pick)

11) 285 - Streck (two nationally ranked studs battle it out)

12) 113 - Pepple (4th at Super32 vs. Konrath Cadet National Champ)

13) 170 - Stevenson (I'll take the defending champ, but this weight class has some studs with Jackson, Harvey, Lydy, etc)

14) 120 - Hudkins (This weight class is a mess. New #1 every update)

While I tend to lean toward Sopko beating Schurg, I wouldn't bet on it. If you told me 4 years ago that Scottie Sopko's best showing at the state finals would be his freshman year, I would have disagreed wholeheartedly, but as it stands, a loss in the ticket round to Schurg can make that a reality.  Bad deal for both, Schurg finished 2nd last year and has a chance to not even be at Banker's Life in a week. Two kids I have really enjoyed watching over the past 4 years, it's a shame that one will be left home after Saturday's quarterfinals. 

While I tend to lean toward Sopko beating Schurg, I wouldn't bet on it. If you told me 4 years ago that Scottie Sopko's best showing at the state finals would be his freshman year, I would have disagreed wholeheartedly, but as it stands, a loss in the ticket round to Schurg can make that a reality.  Bad deal for both, Schurg finished 2nd last year and has a chance to not even be at Banker's Life in a week. Two kids I have really enjoyed watching over the past 4 years, it's a shame that one will be left home after Saturday's quarterfinals. 

Good point.    If you look at each individuals state tournanment history in big matches,  Schurg has faired better.  There something to be said thats it not easy to wrestle under pressure.   Some kids do it better than others.     Should make some for some good drama on Saturday. 

I'd love this to be the type of match where a bunch of points are scored, both are capable of this, but with the stakes being so high, I think we see a low scoring match, 3-1 or 5-2 is my guess. Using Hughes as my measuring stick, I think Sopko gets one or two takedowns and Schurg gets one or two escapes. Sopko is my pick, but again, I'm not betting, Schurg is tough as nails, I just don't think he's wrestling as well as he has in the past. 

this is so ignorant. Everyone has someone "in there way". I would have been the best wrestler of all time. If it wasn't for all the other good guys getting in my way.

Mr. Forte would be going for title #3 if LeCount wasn't in his way last year. Put me in the absolute lock category.

I would also be the best at grammar if I could figure out how to use there and their.

it may sound crazy and alot of people may not agree but i dont believe forte is an ABSOLUTE lock. kemper is very very good.

Kemper is going to have to get past Dunn first to prove his #2 ranking. In my opinion, I don't think that happens. I think Dunn gasses Kemper out

Kemper is going to have to get past Dunn first to prove his #2 ranking. In my opinion, I don't think that happens. I think Dunn gasses Kemper out

You obviously haven't been paying attention.  Kemper is in great shape this year and will not get gassed.  He wins this match easily.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.