Nick Lee's Indiana high school legacy ?

Jayruss

As far as the best Indiana legacy, my vote would have to go to Matt Coughlin. 2x runner up, 2x champ. Continued his career for the Hoosiers and was an all American. Now, coaches a fantastic club that cranks out state placers, state champs, national champs, etc. every year, in Indiana. The guy has never left our state and has had success at every level of wrestling.

I'd throw Alex Johns up there as well, very comparable accolades.

As far as the best Indiana legacy, my vote would have to go to Matt Coughlin. 2x runner up, 2x champ. Continued his career for the Hoosiers and was an all American. Now, coaches a fantastic club that cranks out state placers, state champs, national champs, etc. every year, in Indiana. The guy has never left our state and has had success at every level of wrestling.

comparable to who?  Coughlin?  Lee?

You had me at laser....

In all seriousness, in my mind you have to rank the following guys ahead of him at this point in time:

Howe, Escobedo, both Tsirtsis', Humphrey, Red, Micic, Ellis. Who else?

How many cadet and junior fargo titles?  I believe Howe, Jason Tsirtsis, Lee, Sliga. Hump in Greco. 

How many made a cadet or junior world team? Micic made a junior world team. Sliga cadet world team.

Think I have those correct. What's missing?

Micic made a cadet world team also. He was a Junior World Bronze medalist last year.

Howe was a junior world bronze medalist also.

Tsirtsis was on a Junior World team, would have been on a Cadet team or two if they had it when he was a cadet.

I believe Angel and Hump have also had some University and Junior level success before obviously great careers at the senior level.

How many cadet and junior fargo titles?  I believe Howe, Jason Tsirtsis, Lee, Sliga. Hump in Greco. 

How many made a cadet or junior world team? Micic made a junior world team. Sliga cadet world team.

Think I have those correct. What's missing?

What Joe said.

Absolutely. 3x placer (2, 3rd place finishes). 2x DII all American for UIndy and has just accepted the head coaching job at New Pal. Once again, success at every level, all in Indiana.

The topic is HS legacy.  A zero time champ can't be in the discussion.

The topic is HS legacy.  A zero time champ can't be in the discussion.

Agreed (sorry, but he doesn't even qualify for the laser etched plaque).  But being Devil's advocate, I don't think there's formal criteria. If there were, being a one time champ probably doesn't make the grade either, which is what makes Nick's legacy so intriguing 

Edited by vito pepperelli

If i had to guess, i think Nick cares less about his legacy in Indiana high school wrestling. Wouldnt you think if he did, that he would have stayed for his senior year. Its obvious that he is concentrating on his college future and possibly other wrestling endeavors. Lets just say "it is what it is".

If i had to guess, i think Nick cares less about his legacy in Indiana high school wrestling. Wouldnt you think if he did, that he would have stayed for his senior year. Its obvious that he is concentrating on his college future and possibly other wrestling endeavors. Lets just say "it is what it is".

1. Thanks for the insight Captain Obvious

2. This is a DISCUSSION forum. Perhaps you came to this website by mistake?

3. The topic is Nick Lee's Indiana HS legacy, not Nick Lee's thoughts on his Indiana HS legacy 

1. Thanks for the insight Captain Obvious

2. This is a DISCUSSION forum. Perhaps you came to this website by mistake?

3. The topic is Nick Lee's Indiana HS legacy, not Nick Lee's thoughts on his Indiana HS legacy

Ok Vito! Thanks for clearing that up for me. Nick is a top ten pick.

Nick is a great wrestler and a better person, but with MD history he is not their top guy. Matt and Blake deserve to be on the top. IMO he should of stayed and wrestled for a state championship in this great state. HS comes around only once, enjoy the journey.

Could he have won a title in 2014 had he steered clear of Micic? Red was at 120. Wilson/James were at 132. Thoughts?

Interesting take. My bet would have him beating Wilson/James . Blasphemy I know

Nick is a great wrestler and a better person, but with MD history he is not their top guy. Matt and Blake deserve to be on the top. IMO he should of stayed and wrestled for a state championship in this great state. HS comes around only once, enjoy the journey.

Ask Blake and Matt who they think is better? I bet they say the same person and it won't be either of them.

Interesting take. My bet would have him beating Wilson/James . Blasphemy I know

I actually think he would've had a better shot beating a sophomore Red at 120 in 2014 than Wilson or James up at 132. Chad was really good in 2014, but he took it to another level his Jr/Sr years. IMO

Thinking the same thing. Those 2 are straight up hammers! Would love to see how they would turn out if they wrestled full time!

Just going off ihsaa results, would probably have to add Gelen Robinson and Shawn Streck up there too. Nothing against any of the others previously mentioned, just a couple recent graduates with several medals and state titles

I actually think he would've had a better shot beating a sophomore Red at 120 in 2014 than Wilson or James up at 132. Chad was really good in 2014, but he took it to another level his Jr/Sr years. IMO

I was thinking that too , but I remembered hearing he was too big to cut to 120

So is the reason he is skipping is to get a better Olympic shot by enrolling into college earlier? Why rush it?

It's not about rushing his international aspirations, it's about building toward them in the way he thinks is best, step by step.  All the other 17/18-year-olds in the world will be training freestyle-only situations this upcoming calendar year.  By doing some of that AND mixing in folkstyle prep while banging with guys at a much higher level than himself at such a formative age, I'm sure he's hoping he's putting development money in the bank for later.  More and more guys around the country are following the Pico/Snyder path and foregoing some high school when they have international aspirations.  Pico came an eyelash from being our Olympic rep at age 19 and has a giant deal with Bellator to fight eventually and Snyder already had a freestyle world championship to his credit by 19 while also getting an NCAA title--results that I'm sure are hard for the elite few in Nick's shoes to ignore.  Making a senior national team and competing for medals requires every tiny edge a kid can pick up along the way, so his path this year is a very understandable choice.

It's not about rushing his international aspirations, it's about building toward them in the way he thinks is best, step by step.  All the other 17/18-year-olds in the world will be training freestyle-only situations this upcoming calendar year.  By doing some of that AND mixing in folkstyle prep while banging with guys at a much higher level than himself at such a formative age, I'm sure he's hoping he's putting development money in the bank for later.  More and more guys around the country are following the Pico/Snyder path and foregoing some high school when they have international aspirations.  Pico came an eyelash from being our Olympic rep at age 19 and has a giant deal with Bellator to fight eventually and Snyder already had a freestyle world championship to his credit by 19 while also getting an NCAA title--results that I'm sure are hard for the elite few in Nick's shoes to ignore.  Making a senior national team and competing for medals requires every tiny edge a kid can pick up along the way, so his path this year is a very understandable choice.

Yeah what he said!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.