Post State Finals Accolades and Discussion

I think the team race proved you have to show up in numbers, have your head on right, and survive a gauntlet of tough competition if you want to win it.  Crown Points a heck of a team but it just wasn’t the weekend most envisioned they would have.  No knock on Crown Point as they may have had a couple bad beats but are still a crazy good team. This should really be about putting more respect on just how impressive many of or other individual wrestlers are in this state.  Some have been overlooked due to the shine of these “super teams.” There are lots a land mines to run into at state and Crown Point unfortunately hit a few today.  When the competition is good enough to make matches razor thin then you have to be close to perfect on the day or you are done. Also gotta say I’m very impressed that Brownsburg and even Center Grove never lost faith. They kept grinding and let the energy build for them as the tournament progressed.  CP deserves the Team Dual State Championship, but when thrown in an event against all the individual talent our state has they just couldn’t find a smooth path through in this particular weekend.  The state of Indiana wrestling has shown once again that it is growing stronger. 

Edited by MattM

I’m really surprised at how poorly CP performed this weekend. It’s a shame they couldn’t get it done this weekend after such a dominating season. Kudos to BB & CG for outwrestling CP and earning the top 2 spots. I don’t think anyone would have guessed CP was going to leave Evansville without a ring. I guess that’s why you wrestle the matches. 

From a distance, seemed like Evansville embraced the State Finals and did a nice job! Maybe some tips for future State Finals? Don't recall shuttles or food trucks in the past. Do recall being asked what's going on? We weren't staffed for this. Thanks to all tnvolved, especially the wrestlers laying it down on the mat!

Congrats to Waylon Cressell.  Several out of state studs have come into Indiana over the past several decades, but most don’t win out single class state title.  If you take away Sergio Lemley’s Covid Year (and he’s actually a IN born and raised that jumped borders for school) I’m not sure we can find too many out of state studs that won a title here. Especially year one. 

13 minutes ago, AlaskanMountie said:

I’m really surprised at how poorly CP performed this weekend. It’s a shame they couldn’t get it done this weekend after such a dominating season. Kudos to BB & CG for outwrestling CP and earning the top 2 spots. I don’t think anyone would have guessed CP was going to leave Evansville without a ring. I guess that’s why you wrestle the matches. 

Actually, CP did leave with a ring, i.e., Will Clark’s.  And I thought CP wrestled well even if not up to their hopes.  I think there were some on here who raised some expections pretty high for CP and the East Chicago semi-state generally with some hyperbole.

Congrats to Brownsburg and Center Grove.  Pretty dominant performance on the part of the Evansville semi-state.  And the New Castle and Ft. Wayne semi-states far exceeded the expectations that were being expressed on this discussion board.  Congratulations.

So what's up with the back flips? Or lack there of? I say if a kid wins a state championship he should be able to do a back flip or 2 or 3 or 4 depending on how many he has won. Is there something that happened to make this change? I'm a pretty low key guy but come on let yhe kid have some fun.

11 minutes ago, MattM said:

Congrats to Waylon Cressell.  Several out of state studs have come into Indiana over the past several decades, but most don’t win out single class state title.  If you take away Sergio Lemley’s Covid Year (and he’s actually a IN born and raised that jumped borders for school) I’m not sure we can find too many out of state studs that won a title here. Especially year one. 

Winners win, he knows he’s good, if he wants a take down he gets it very humble forsure 

Edited by richyy253

11 minutes ago, Spladle Nation said:

3 of the top 5 teams are in the mooresville regional.

Five of the Top 7 are in Evansville SS.  With only 4 individual spots for the taking as usual managing to get wrestlers out of there, especially not in 4th, is a battle in itself with those squads taking up several spots (almost 60% this year). 

Edited by MattM

21 minutes ago, Ahawkeye said:

So what's up with the back flips? Or lack there of? I say if a kid wins a state championship he should be able to do a back flip or 2 or 3 or 4 depending on how many he has won. Is there something that happened to make this change? I'm a pretty low key guy but come on let yhe kid have some fun.

Refs are lameasses 

40 minutes ago, MattM said:

Five of the Top 7 are in Evansville SS.  With only 4 individual spots for the taking as usual managing to get wrestlers out of there, especially not in 4th, is a battle in itself with those squads taking up several spots (almost 60% this year). 

If anyone kept listening to the broadcast I review with Snyder, he said it pretty well - Avon, Brownsburg and Center Grove all in the same dang gum regional. That's nuts that 3 of the top 5 placing teams beat the snot of each other for three weekends - brutal!

Congrats to Snyder and the Brownsburg crew - never stopped believing... 

Jake Hockaday is the new Iceman. Stone Cold killer.

Watched the finals today from Iowa City with my Hawk as he was cheering on his buddies. Great culture of wrestling for the purple dogs.

1 hour ago, piscis1956 said:

Actually, CP did leave with a ring, i.e., Will Clark’s.  And I thought CP wrestled well even if not up to their hopes.  I think there were some on here who raised some expections pretty high for CP and the East Chicago semi-state generally with some hyperbole.

Congrats to Brownsburg and Center Grove.  Pretty dominant performance on the part of the Evansville semi-state.  And the New Castle and Ft. Wayne semi-states far exceeded the expectations that were being expressed on this discussion board.  Congratulations.

I was referring to a team ring, not individual. Anyone paying attention this season would classify CP’s performance this weekend as incredibly disappointing. They had multiple guys underperform this weekend which was the only way they were going to lose the team race considering they had 2-3 more qualifiers than CG & BB. 

1 hour ago, Ahawkeye said:

Not sure but if they did anything like that after winning they lost a team point 

1 hour ago, Ahawkeye said:

Guys that have never wrestled or will ever understand what these kids and families sacrifice make up rules on how a kid and team can celebrate. 

Word is that they tell kids that they can’t eat PB&J during faceoff … no matter how hungry you are!!!  

I feel the refs give you a little more leaway when you win a state title than they would after other matches.  That being said they likely don’t come out and say that and the narrative all year via the IHSAA has been to watch sportsmanship, including not over doing any post match celebrations.  I feel some kids cautioned on the said of ensuring they didn’t cost their team a point after having heard that all season. There are a few wrestlers that let a little added emotion fly.   If you  look at all the post game celebration of this years state championship team sports I’d say letting backflip or would be right in line with how others had celebrated.  Most refs also get the magnitude of the situations too, they just aren’t going to say ahead of time we will let you get by with 30sec of acrobatics if you win the state finals.