Best Campaigns to Not End with a Title

Sr. Year Zak Fattores run@170 was damn impressive. Was scoring bonus points in every match up until the semifinals dominating before a defensive pin was called.. was 39-0 going to the state finals and Tech fall is first two opponents 16-0. Was handily beating  Rader b4 that late def pin was called.. Robbing us of a Fattore vs warren Final.. Warren had only lost up at 182 to Nate Walton. 

who is also had 1 of the best campaigns without a title also. 

Walton gets the nod as 1 of the best to never win a state title imho...8,3,3,2 and 2x NAIA  ALL AMERICAN  and the mayor of chin whip City!

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Might be biased but Graham Calhoun his Senior year. He went into the state series undefeated and without giving up any points. Out of his 46 matches he scored bonus points on 39 of them. He scored 249 team points with a 60% fall rate. Not being taken down until the state semi finals where a last second controversial call put the match into OT.  Ended his senior year with a 3rd place medal.

32 minutes ago, Paycheck141 said:

Has anyone ever been a 4x runner up?

Not sure about a 4x runner up, but when looking at some old records I recall seeing some past wrestlers that had  2nd and 3rd finishes for most of their career. Foggy brain preventing me from pulling a at names out right this convent. 

7 hours ago, MattM said:

Not sure about a 4x runner up, but when looking at some old records I recall seeing some past wrestlers that had  2nd and 3rd finishes for most of their career. Foggy brain preventing me from pulling a at names out right this convent. 

Tonte and Delaney Ruhlman recently were 3x runner ups.  . Ruhlman lost to CP in the finals every year, tough break.

Edited by BrodyHardcastle

1 hour ago, BrodyHardcastle said:

Tonte and Delaney Ruhlman recently were 3x runner ups.  . Ruhlman lost to CP in the finals every year, tough break.

Yeah I think it was Rulman situation that sent down that rabbit hole initially.   

7 hours ago, BIGCATSontheMAT said:

Cheaney Scheoff one of the best careers to never have won a State Championship

I agree!

freshman yr - loses to Cottey 2xer

soph yr - loses to Seltzer 3xer

jr yr - loses to Seltzer 3xer

little biased here, but Leighton Jones's sophomore run through sectionals, regionals, SS  & state as a HWT to lose in OT to senior Reeve Muncie in the semis was pretty wild. If only two of those takedowns that ended outside of the circle had been inside & happened in regulation...