Disney Duals

On 6/23/2023 at 11:23 PM, Chris Cooper said:

Didn’t have the best experience today with regards to getting extra 

matches.  Frustrating.  Multiple dead mats, officials being told to stop wrestling exhibitions, exhibition mats being closed, etc.

Definitely several steps back from

previous years experiences.

Haven't been there for a while, but it always seemed something new would pop up that could have easily been fixed. The extra matches is something that is huge for the programs that attend. I know the CE kids have to get a minimum of 30 matches or they walk back to Columbus, so I can assume it was really frustrating.

When I spoke to the head table about the extra mat matches they told me something about teams showing up that they had not planned on which resulted in more mats being used. Seemed so silly to have so many open mats and not be able to get matches in after duals ended.

Adams Central finishes 4th in the Community 2 Silver bracket, 20th overall out of 47 teams.  This is with a line-up that had 7 wrestlers who will be freshmen or sophomores next year. Five AA awards:

Gold: Senior Trevor Currie

Silver: Sophomore Maverick Dubach and Freshman Dylan Ogg

Bronze: Senior Wyatt McAfee and Junior Matt Heiser

How bout the kid from Iowa that missed weight and Morgan caught them too. Yes.. it happened twice. That was 5 rounds in. The kid wrestled every match before. When they got caught the all apologized and stated “we thought they weren’t counting the tenths!” 

But… it gets better…. The kid proceeded to wrestle every round after at the weight that he missed!!!

Ive been going to the event for 10 years. This year was in fact not up to par. I don’t care to go back. 

Edited by Mattyb

4 hours ago, Mattyb said:

How bout the kid from Iowa that missed weight and Morgan caught them too. Yes.. it happened twice. That was 5 rounds in. The kid wrestled every match before. When they got caught the all apologized and stated “we thought they weren’t counting the tenths!” 

But… it gets better…. The kid proceeded to wrestle every round after at the weight that he missed!!!

Ive been going to the event for 10 years. This year was in fact not up to par. I don’t care to go back. 

How does someone check the weigh-in weights? Looking at online video only, there were a few guys who looked huge!

Kellan Carter (Scottsburg) finished 8-1 Silver AA (132 lb Smackdown Black). Team finished 7th in silver bracket of developmental. He knocked off several state qualifiers from various states. His only loss was a decision to a kid that hadn’t lost at Disney in two straight years. Score was 10-11 going into the third period. Could have gone either way. It was a good week and he’s definitely gaining confidence after missing last season due to injury. 💪

Edited by KBCclan

1 hour ago, The Professor Morgan said:

Historically they handed them out.  This year they didn’t.  So I went to the head table and asked for them.

Doing the work for the people, you are the true champion. Obviously, @Darrick Snyder doesn't keep you around for your looks, but more for your great detective work!

In all seriousness it seems like things got way out of control this year. It's a great event and sad that coaches did this. I don't blame the AAU as coaches need integrity to not do this.

1 hour ago, AndyStJ said:

How does someone check the weigh-in weights? Looking at online video only, there were a few guys who looked huge!

Weigh-ins are day before and then you wrestle for 3 days straight. Had some kids that were 15+lbs over by the end at times. National rankers really struggle with an event like this in which cutting hard has big time benefits.

On 6/23/2023 at 10:12 AM, Mattyb said:

Hockaday over Ashton Jackson 11-2. If you get a chance… watch Jake’s matches from this week. Kid has matured physically and now has another gear. It’s scary. 

Sad result for a LaPorte fan... awesome result for an Indiana wrestling fan. Can't wait to see this kid become a star on the national scene.

12 hours ago, DUBDEA64 said:

Maverick Dubach 8-1 , 7 pins ,1 tf , got beat 8-4 3 time Ohio state placer .

Match was 5-4 and we cut him with 50 seconds to try and get the TD to tie. Gave that up for the final score. Mav looked real good all weekend. 

I was proud of the team effort every dual. The kids wrestled hard all 3 days. 

Edited by jetwrestling

On 6/25/2023 at 2:21 PM, Y2CJ41 said:

Haven't been there for a while, but it always seemed something new would pop up that could have easily been fixed. The extra matches is something that is huge for the programs that attend. I know the CE kids have to get a minimum of 30 matches or they walk back to Columbus, so I can assume it was really frustrating.

Much better experience after the first day on the exhibition mats and we got them to scrap the paper signup system.

Didn’t quite get 30, but Hank the tank notched 23 matches over the 3 days.. 👏👏👏.

Olympians 7-3 overall with a win over Naperville who finished 4th.  Youngest team we have ever taken, 3 rising seniors and 11 of 22 incoming freshman.

10 hours ago, jetwrestling said:

Match was 5-4 and we cut him with 50 seconds to try and get the TD to tie. Gave that up for the final score. Mav looked real good all weekend. 

I was proud of the team effort every dual. The kids wrestled hard all 3 days. 

Maverick wrestled Kellan Carter a couple weeks ago at jay county duals maverick wrestled up got beat 11-13

52 minutes ago, TripleB said:

Tenths shouldn't count.... ever..... right @Y2CJ41???

18 hours ago, Mattyb said:

Hey… @Y2CJ41.. what about the Iowa coaches that said… “we thought that they didn’t count the tenths”  

How do you feel about that??? 😂 

You were the first person I thought of when they threw that out there!!!

The Office No GIF

3 hours ago, DUBDEA64 said:

Maverick wrestled Kellan Carter a couple weeks ago at jay county duals maverick wrestled up got beat 11-13

I think that match may have surprised both kids. Neither probably knew the other was that solid 💪. Kellan said “Dad, that kid is good...” 

Edited by KBCclan

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2023 at 9:04 PM, BrodyHardcastle said:

Didn’t notice any nationally ranked wins but pretty sure the Fretwell kid he beat from Florida was at one time. Hockaday pinning Desmond was the biggest win for an IN kid this weekend so far. 

His  loss to cook was a scoring error they didn't give him 2 and nobody caught it is what I'm being told. 

He beat multiple state Champs 

Was the only person to beat

Fretwell the Florida 2xer and a fargo all American taking 3rd in Greco-Roman and 5th place all American finish at NHSCA Freshman  Nationals.

Beat Eddy Redecki who is  Delawares first ever 8th grade HS state champ who's a 3xer now and All American at NHSCA sophomore Nationals taking 6th in a monster bracket. 

Beat SD state champ that's a 3x placer going 1,2,4 and a AAU national champ Hurd.

Beat  2x placer Ohio stud k.Lambers

who's placed 3rd and 8th.

Best Nebraska state champ and runner up Stusse Jr.

Beat Missouri State runner up 3x placer Roth 2x.

Glad he's getting some tough of season matches, especially coming off having a Lil knee ailment this summer. But all is well.

4 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

His  loss to cook was a scoring error they didn't give him 2 and nobody caught it is what I'm being told. 

He beat multiple state Champs 

Was the only person to beat

Fretwell the Florida 2xer and a fargo all American taking 3rd in Greco-Roman and 5th place all American finish at NHSCA Freshman  Nationals.

Beat Eddy Redecki who is  Delawares first ever 8th grade HS state champ who's a 3xer now and All American at NHSCA sophomore Nationals taking 6th in a monster bracket. 

Beat SD state champ that's a 3x placer going 1,2,4 and a AAU national champ Hurd.

Beat  2x placer Ohio stud k.Lambers

who's placed 3rd and 8th.

Best Nebraska state champ and runner up Stusse Jr.

Beat Missouri State runner up 3x placer Roth 2x.

Glad he's getting some tough of season matches, especially coming off having a Lil knee ailment this summer. But all is well.

Some big wins forsure💪🏼