Fort Wayne Semi-State could be in jeopardy

Y2CJ41

Word out of the Summit city is that if the NUWAY Mat Mayhem would move their date a week later that we would not be able to host semi-state at the coliseum. NUWAY has a 30 day "no compete" clause in their contract with the Memorial Coliseum so that no other wrestling event can be held there within 30 days(before or after).

Luckily for now the semi-state is a mere 34 days away from Mat Mayhem as of this year and next year.

Nuway should use Merrellville High school........then we could move Mville SS to someplace that you could get in the door and maybe even sit down!

Beat me to it!  However, in Merrillville's defense I was recently told that the Pirates have offered to give up the semi-state on MULTIPLE occasions and no one has offered to take it.  If that truly is the case, than we really don't have a right to complain. There are plenty of better venues - someone just needs to step up and take it.

Beat me to it!  However, in Merrillville's defense I was recently told that the Pirates have offered to give up the semi-state on MULTIPLE occasions and no one has offered to take it.  If that truly is the case, than we really don't have a right to complain. There are plenty of better venues - someone just needs to step up and take it.

Ive heard that Logansport and Laf Jeff both offered to take it.  Between extra gas money and time to drive south,  the decision makers didnt want to to do it. 

Ive heard that Logansport and Laf Jeff both offered to take it.  Between extra gas money and time to drive south,  the decision makers didnt want to to do it. 

I have heard that too.  In fact, I seem to recall the Jeff coach going on the old website and stating he was putting in for it.  I don't pretend to know all the info, but it would be nice if someone with the appropriate credentials could get the truth of it.  The reality that it continues to be at an undersized site is a shame.  People at the other three semi-state locations truly don't know how lucky they are.  

I think Huntington North is the most viable, least disruptive venue if this situation were to happen.

The Muncie Fieldhouse would be nice too, but a long drive for Elkhart people.

I like the idea of the Muncie Fieldhouse lol

I have heard that too.  In fact, I seem to recall the Jeff coach going on the old website and stating he was putting in for it.  I don't pretend to know all the info, but it would be nice if someone with the appropriate credentials could get the truth of it.  The reality that it continues to be at an undersized site is a shame.  People at the other three semi-state locations truly don't know how lucky they are.  

I understand the complaint and such, but I truly think those make for memorable times.  I still remember the smell of elephant dung every year because followed the circus........

Although a bit humorous, this topic is a little off kilter.  After hearing from several people that the FW Coliseum could be a viable option (i.e. - available date), I did contact the FW Coliseum regarding the IHSWCA Team State Duals for 2015-16.  I spoke with a gentleman there who was very helpful, and they would indeed like for us to come, but...

The Mat Mayhem coordinators did indeed incorporate a 30 day "no compete" clause in their contract with the Coliseum for other wrestling events.  Although I do not agree with someone from another state holding an Indiana facility hostage for amateur wrestling events, it is not my decision to make.  The gentleman from the coliseum did say he would get back with me if our requested date for the IHSWCA duals became a viable option.

Beyond a bit of "poking and fun", the IHSAA FW semi-state is not in jeopardy of being dislodged from the Coliseum as it has obviously been held at that venue long before the Mat Mayhem event came to town.  I just want to be clear on that before "untruths" get too far fetched and too wide spread.

Coach McCormick

My info is just hearsay also about moving to Jeff which has a bigger facility than Merrillville.  But I think if a team has to drive over a certain distance to a state sanctioned event, maybe over 60 miles then the state has to reimburse them for mileage.   So moving south might have cost  them a little gas money.

My info is just hearsay also about moving to Jeff which has a bigger facility than Merrillville.  But I think if a team has to drive over a certain distance to a state sanctioned event, maybe over 60 miles then the state has to reimburse them for mileage.   So moving south might have cost  them a little gas money.

The teams in Avon and Mooresville sectionals would certainly appreciate that having to travel to Evansville.

Word out of the Summit city is that if the NUWAY Mat Mayhem would move their date a week later that we would not be able to host semi-state at the coliseum. NUWAY has a 30 day "no compete" clause in their contract with the Memorial Coliseum so that no other wrestling event can be held there within 30 days(before or after).

Luckily for now the semi-state is a mere 34 days away from Mat Mayhem as of this year and next year.

Joe stop being a red button pusher.  I have to deal them all day at work. 

I guess the problem with the Merrillville SS site is that there are no big schools between the Duneland/Penn group in the north and these schools near Lafayette. What would be the best HS site if we could just flat out choose? Crown Point already has the sects and Regis, so maybe there...?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.