Black Wrestlers and Coaches

13 hours ago, CCWPhwt said:

He is going to be unknown by most here but Coach Tillman. The man is the picture of a professional individual that truly cares about his wrestlers, the community, and well everyone. He was never my coach. The complete opposite actually. I have coached against this man many times. It does not matter if you are one of his wrestlers, a local community wrestler, or a wrestler from the other side of the country he would treat you as if you were on his team and he had known you his entire coaching career. He is also a veteran of the United States Marines. I can think of only a few people that I hold in the same regard as this man. I learned from him even as a Coach. His compassion, empathy, and wisdom are second to none. I am blessed to say he is my friend, brother in arms, and a valued member of the community that I love calling home.

Came here to say exactly this. A pillar of Clinton County wrestling!

1. Darren Arberry - Assistant Coach at LC

2. Nick Hull - Teammate at LC

3. Chad Red - Assistant Coach at LC

4. Will Hill - State Champ at LC (I was in 8th grade)

5. Vernon Cannon - State Runner-Up at LC (I was in 8th Grade)

6. Bryan Rand - Teammate at LC (I hated wrestling him, but he made me so much better)

7. James Tanniehill - One of my first freestyle/greco coaches (My dad didn't know those styles so he randomly asked Coach Tanniehill to coach me at the Tech FS/GR tournament.  Good choice!)

15 hours ago, tyquhp13 said:

I'm sorry I don't know all the past coaches names, but growing up in the Region, Wrestling in the Region & Coaching in the Region and my dad being a member of the first city champ team I have always admired the passion of the Gary West Side coaches. : Kylan Taylor, Eugene Johnson and the ones before them.

Coach Stewart too. 

Some of my earliest wrestling memories are watching him smoke people in the balcony of VHS after Viking Wrestling Club practice in between goes of his sons taking it to me. Eventually I got to coach Coach Stewart's grandsons at Chesterton. 

15 hours ago, CoachDuke2.0 said:

When I was a kid, I loved the Cyclones because of Bobby Douglas. That squad he built with Cael and Joe Heskett was one of my favorite to watch.

Also a guy who is a little less popular but one of my all time favorites, Teyon Ware. 

I've got a Bobby Douglas instructional book my dad gave to me when I graduated high school and he retired from coaching, and it helped me figure out some of the things Dave Maldonado was coaching to beat up on my teams so much. I figured it out, but that doesn't mean it changed things too much.

Teyon was my first loss in college. 

Harold Grundy from Indianapolis Arlington. Coached several years and although he doesn’t have a lot of accolades, he certainly helped save several at risk teens from prison or worse (including me). He would always say, “It’s deeper than wrestling.” 

Edited by datdude

2 hours ago, Indy_Martian said:

Coach Trap (unsure on spelling) was always around Columbus East program and Outlaws teams. Great guy and could coach all the kids like they were his own. Unsure if he is still helping out, but his time and effort were always appreciated. 

Coach Trapp was/is legit. I wrestled on an Outlaw team with the Rooks bros, Nick South, and a couple other Columbus East kids and he treated us like we’ve wrestled for him our whole life. 

Edited by BrodyHardcastle

Growing up, some of the names that I remember watching were Jason Woodson, Jonathan Brownlee, Graylon Early to name a few of my favorites. As a coach, my first year as an assistant at Rushville, our heavyweight made an improbable run to the state championship match. Joe Garland was a phenomenal athlete and earned everything he accomplished his senior year. I got to coach against guys like Nate Trawick, Donte Winfield, and Norman Ogelsby that year. All tremendous athletes.

Edited by LionsFan

8 hours ago, Jcjcjc said:

I've got a Bobby Douglas instructional book my dad gave to me when I graduated high school and he retired from coaching, and it helped me figure out some of the things Dave Maldonado was coaching to beat up on my teams so much. I figured it out, but that doesn't mean it changed things too much.

Teyon was my first loss in college. 

I met Tim Maldonado for the first time last week at Middle School State. Its seems to me that Dave has some

jedi to him. Been winning for a long time. 

Was Teyon as fast as he looked on tv lol?

On 2/14/2024 at 6:25 AM, Silence Dogood said:

Anthony Lapsley at Snider

The Carr brothers at Wawassee

The Leavell brothers at Decatur Central 

Vernon Cannon at Lawrence Central

Will Hill at Lawrence North

James Brimm at Evansville Central

1 hour ago, ManTooth said:

Hard to believe this topic has gotten 2 pages long without mention of the Leavell Brothers. Tim, James, & John (I believe) 

All State Champions if I’m not mistaken, with James certainly being one of the best HS wrestlers of his era. 

I assume you mean other than that time I mentioned them.

Looking At You What GIF by Sesame Street

10 hours ago, CoachDuke2.0 said:

I met Tim Maldonado for the first time last week at Middle School State. Its seems to me that Dave has some

jedi to him. Been winning for a long time. 

Was Teyon as fast as he looked on tv lol?

I had boring Teyon on our feet, but I was told my feet hit the ceiling his lift in the third. 

Mo "6-pack" Gunn was one of my early inspirations in the sport and before him Gill Journey. Coach Ledbetter and Coach Red were the first/only black HC's I saw for a long time at the high school level. This thread is awesome btw. Good job highlighting those who have done and accomplished so much for the sport.

On 2/14/2024 at 2:05 PM, datdude said:

Harold Grundy from Indianapolis Arlington. Coached several years and although he doesn’t have a lot of accolades, he certainly helped save several at risk teens from prison or worse (including me). He would always say, “It’s deeper than wrestling.” 

I grew up behind Arlington HS and My dad worked for IPS.  Coach Grundy was an incredible example to the youth in our area.