The US OPEN Results

Couldn’t find the Final X graphic I was looking for explains this, but did locate a list that helps break down the World Team qualification process. 

MEN'S FREESTYLE

57 - Gillman sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

61 - Winner from the US Open will face the winner of World Team Trials.

65 - Diakomihalis sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

70 - Retherford sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

74 - Dake sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

79 - Burroughs sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

86 - Taylor sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

92 - Winner from the US Open will face the winner of World Team Trials.

97 - Snyder sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

125 - Winner from the US Open will face the winner of World Team Trials.

Edited by MattM

24 minutes ago, Cmoney125 said:

Vargo is 3-1 15U 62 KG. In group of 4 consis. On the podium.

Gotta win one more to place… right? 

Looks like we have a few guys in the blood round tomorrow in 15u. Let’s get it fellas!!! 

Edited by Mattyb

10 hours ago, MattM said:

Couldn’t find the Final X graphic I was looking for explains this, but did locate a list that helps break down the World Team qualification process. 

MEN'S FREESTYLE

57 - Gillman sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

61 - Winner from the US Open will face the winner of World Team Trials.

65 - Diakomihalis sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

70 - Retherford sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

74 - Dake sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

79 - Burroughs sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

86 - Taylor sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

92 - Winner from the US Open will face the winner of World Team Trials.

97 - Snyder sitting out waiting on the winner from the US Open.

125 - Winner from the US Open will face the winner of World Team Trials.

Nick Lee pulls it out and won the US Open, scoring 10 straight after being down 5-0 at the break, beating Joey McKenna.  Nice breakthrough for him.

I believe the Final x matches are June 10, but not 100% sure.  Haven't seen the dates for the WTT.

51 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Nick Lee pulls it out and won the US Open, scoring 10 straight after being down 5-0 at the break, beating Joey McKenna.  Nice breakthrough for him.

I believe the Final x matches are June 10, but not 100% sure.  Haven't seen the dates for the WTT.

Yes, Nick Lee will face Yianni D at Final X on June 10 in a best-of-3 series to determine our national rep.

The US Open champion faces a returning world medalist in 7 of the 10 men's freestyle weights at Final X

For 61kg, 92kg, and 125kg (the weights we didn't medal plus 92 where Cox moved up in weight), there will be a World Team Trials challenge tournament on May 20-21. The winner of those 3 weights' challenge tournament will wrestle the US Open champ at Final X.

This means, of course, that if Parris were to win the WTT on May 20-21, he'd get a best-of-3 crack at Steveson on  June 10.

Braylon Reynolds lost a tough match in semis while winning late in second (the kid that beat him wins it). Very weird finish. Comes back to take 3rd with a quick TF!!! So close to being a US Open champ!!! So proud of our guy!!! 

Edited by Mattyb

Veazy has a close first match, but ended up loading in two.  

Carroll takes his match and now sits in the finals of the U20 World Team Trials this summer. 

Didn't realize how many crazy talented high schoolers there are right now. Mendez AA's this year and gets taken out by Kannon Webster. Jore Volk has a great freshman season for Wyoming and makes a deep NCAA run. Gets manhandled by Luke Lilledahl. Daniel Cardenas gets seeded 6th at NCAAs and misses out of the AA rounds in OT. Gets destroyed by Meyer Shapiro. There are dozens of other names of wrestlers that are in high school that are wrestling at an insane level. Aden Valencia wrestled in the senior division and kept it 3-0 with DeSanto, and picked up some high level wins. Jax Forrest is winning multiple college level tournaments, and still loses badly to Ben Davino. Bo Bassett is an animal and also gets beat by another high schooler. I could go all day, but it is interesting that there are this many high schoolers right now that could arguably make deep runs at NCAAs. Is this abnormal?

3 hours ago, TysonNisley said:

Didn't realize how many crazy talented high schoolers there are right now. Mendez AA's this year and gets taken out by Kannon Webster. Jore Volk has a great freshman season for Wyoming and makes a deep NCAA run. Gets manhandled by Luke Lilledahl. Daniel Cardenas gets seeded 6th at NCAAs and misses out of the AA rounds in OT. Gets destroyed by Meyer Shapiro. There are dozens of other names of wrestlers that are in high school that are wrestling at an insane level. Aden Valencia wrestled in the senior division and kept it 3-0 with DeSanto, and picked up some high level wins. Jax Forrest is winning multiple college level tournaments, and still loses badly to Ben Davino. Bo Bassett is an animal and also gets beat by another high schooler. I could go all day, but it is interesting that there are this many high schoolers right now that could arguably make deep runs at NCAAs. Is this abnormal?

I agree it is a very deep high school group, but the differences in Folkstyle/Freestyle/Greco really do help make for more parity. All it takes if for one takedown and a good lock to roll to a quick victory. 

17 hours ago, MattM said:

D. Veazy makes the U17 Freestyle finals.  C. Carroll in the U20 Freestyle finals.  Veazy has a Best of 3 series for a Wolrd Team sport this evening.  Carroll can secure a spot in the U10 World Team Trial finals with. win. 

I think Carroll can take those U10 kids pretty easily🤪

4 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

I think Carroll can take those U10 kids pretty easily🤪

Depends on how many there are coming at him.  Some of those kids are vicious.  I'm guessing he tries his luck at one U20 guy instead. 

Edited by MattM

You can def. See the state growing as a whole! All the amazing indiana clubs and academies showed up this weekend and only improving! Kudos to all the Indiana kids and clubs that showed up and put the work in and all representing in style and class! 

On 4/28/2023 at 12:58 AM, SWINfan said:

Nick Lee loses in the semifinals....  No wait, he wins!

In a bizarre turn of events, Beau Bartlett's hand was raised on the mat and the scoreboard showed him as the winner 10-10 on criteria.  At some point within the next 30-45 minutes, the result was changed to Nick Lee winning on criteria.  Apparently they got it wrong a scorer's table.  

What made it odd was Nick was down 10-8 and got a push out as Bartlett skated backward letting him do so.  A 1 pt pushout and  a caution and 1 pt was called for fleeing the mat, tying the score.  The scoreboard immediately showed Bartlett leading on criteria, so the final few seconds were wrestled with Nick trying to push him out again and Beau trying to circle and not go out of bounds, but avoiding any kind of engagement.  Everyone on the mat though Bartlett was the winner.  They shook hands, Nick walked off and Beau's hand was raised.  The video shows Bartlett leaving the mat and no sign of any knowledge the result was incorrect.

I've read differing opinions on the criteria.  Both had 4 point moves, one 2 point move and the rest ones.  I always thought whoever scored last in that scenario won.  Others are saying the # of cautions comes into play first and that final caution was the difference and the scoreboard operator gave the caution to Nick and not Beau, creating the confusion.  I guess, barring the caution placed on the wrong wrestler, Lee would have won either way, based on cautions or last score? 

I still haven't heard how long it took to sort that out and how/when the wrestlers found out.  

This one was truly odd. I finally got to watch this match & the caution on Bartlett at the end is the only caution of the entire match. So with Nick scoring last with the push out & caution giving him the 2 needed to tie the score, it is mind boggling how that got screwed up in the first place. And just as mind boggling that no one in Nick's corner recognized immediately that it was wrong. I guess all that matters is that in the end they got it right.

But, Nick was extremely lucky that he got the win. If Bartlett simply puts up better resistance on the push out the match ends 10-9 Bartlett. It's almost like he didn't realize that if he backs off as Nick pushes he'd be hit for 2 points.

Then Nick's match against McKenna was vintage Lee. His relentless pace appeared to wear McKenna out allowing the huge 2nd period comeback.

On 4/29/2023 at 7:43 PM, Mattyb said:

Braylon Reynolds lost a tough match in semis while winning late in second (the kid that beat him wins it). Very weird finish. Comes back to take 3rd with a quick TF!!! So close to being a US Open champ!!! So proud of our guy!!! 

Hated to see his match end like that especially when he had the cradle locked up!

1 hour ago, SIACfan said:

This one was truly odd. I finally got to watch this match & the caution on Bartlett at the end is the only caution of the entire match. So with Nick scoring last with the push out & caution giving him the 2 needed to tie the score, it is mind boggling how that got screwed up in the first place. And just as mind boggling that no one in Nick's corner recognized immediately that it was wrong. I guess all that matters is that in the end they got it right.

But, Nick was extremely lucky that he got the win. If Bartlett simply puts up better resistance on the push out the match ends 10-9 Bartlett. It's almost like he didn't realize that if he backs off as Nick pushes he'd be hit for 2 points.

Then Nick's match against McKenna was vintage Lee. His relentless pace appeared to wear McKenna out allowing the huge 2nd period comeback.

Nick was on the Bader show yesterday and discussed the situation. One of the biggest reasons coaches didn't get too involved was that it was NLWC vs. NLWC match so the coaches were pretty much hands off. He also said the table worker originally gave HIM the caution and thus why it was indicating Bartlett was winning. 

Personally, watching the match it was 10-10, I knew Nick had a 4,2, and 4 1's and knew Bartlett had a 4 and assumed he had 2 2's and thus was leading. In a match with that high of score it is hard to remember everyone's scores even as a coach and especially as a wrestler.

49 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Personally, watching the match it was 10-10, I knew Nick had a 4,2, and 4 1's and knew Bartlett had a 4 and assumed he had 2 2's and thus was leading. In a match with that high of score it is hard to remember everyone's scores even as a coach and especially as a wrestler.

Yes, I originally thought that maybe the issue could have been knowing who had the most multiple point scores. And you are certainly correct that the wrestlers & coaches probably were unsure of the scoring, but shouldn't the individuals at the scoring table have that info documented & in front of them?

Thus I would think they would know that the scoring was even & the next criteria, cautions, was the deciding factor.

And the only way Nick could tie the score there was on a 1 & 1 step out & caution. And with no other cautions, which also should be documented & in front of them, should have made it easy to determine the criteria.

I understand that humans make mistakes. But in such an important setting, I would think that taking a little time to ensure the correct winner is declared is appropriate.

But as I stated earlier, they got it right in the end & that is what matters most.

55 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

Yes, I originally thought that maybe the issue could have been knowing who had the most multiple point scores. And you are certainly correct that the wrestlers & coaches probably were unsure of the scoring, but shouldn't the individuals at the scoring table have that info documented & in front of them?

Per what Nick stated the table workers gave the caution to Nick when it should have been to Bartlett and thus that is why it showed Bartlett winning. There were only like 3 seconds left after that sequence so very little time for coaches, wrestlers, table workers, refs, etc to correct the issue.

5 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Per what Nick stated the table workers gave the caution to Nick when it should have been to Bartlett and thus that is why it showed Bartlett winning. There were only like 3 seconds left after that sequence so very little time for coaches, wrestlers, table workers, refs, etc to correct the issue.

I suspect that is true, but that means they gave the caution to Nick but also somehow awarded the point to him as well. That is what makes it very odd.

13 hours ago, SIACfan said:

I suspect that is true, but that means they gave the caution to Nick but also somehow awarded the point to him as well. That is what makes it very odd.

It was a weird situation and thankfully it was two wrestlers from the same team or else there would have been major uproar.