Thoughts on Possible College Rule Changes?

• aoberlin changed the title to Thoughts on Possible College Rule Changes?
18 hours ago, lemercad said:

3NF in addition to 2NF, and 4NF. 2 count 2NF, 3 count 3NF, 4 count 4NF.

If that is what is being proposed, then I'm OK with it. Not sure it is necessary but OK with it.

Hate the idea of doing away with the riding time point. What differentiates folkstyle from freestyle is mat wrestling. The ability to ride & escape are important. But I do like the idea of returning the wrestlers to their feet (with no escape point) if a turn has not been achieved after an allotted amount of time (I would prefer 1 minute).

I don't like the idea of 3 points for a takedown. It would allow freestyle wrestlers to ignore the mat wrestling portion of folkstyle. They would potentially be able to build an insurmountable lead simply by taking down & releasing their opponent. I like the uniqueness of folkstyle wrestling. Please don't create an environment where freestyle wrestlers can ignore mat wrestling in folkstyle.

19 hours ago, lemercad said:

3NF in addition to 2NF, and 4NF. 2 count 2NF, 3 count 3NF, 4 count 4NF.

I think this would lead to a lot more challenges of was it a 3 count or 2 count, or a 4 count or 3 count from both sides of the mat. Not sure this adds anything other than more work for refs.

The 3 point takedown I keep going back and forth on. It will add more points, but in the end you get a higher reward, but also a HIGHER risk for everything.

For fun I posted an idea about a 3 point offensive takedown if the attacking wrestler scores, and a 2 point defensive takedown if the defensive wrestler scores. It was not recieved very well, and I will probably get made fun of again for posting this, but in reading some social media posts about the possible 3 point takedown it seems that a few others have this same idea. I think it would reward the attacking wrestler, but would add more to the officals plate.

43 minutes ago, ENoblewrestling said:

For fun I posted an idea about a 3 point offensive takedown if the attacking wrestler scores, and a 2 point defensive takedown if the defensive wrestler scores. It was not recieved very well, and I will probably get made fun of again for posting this, but in reading some social media posts about the possible 3 point takedown it seems that a few others have this same idea. I think it would reward the attacking wrestler, but would add more to the officals plate.

Seems like it would be too subjective to determine in a lot of scenarios. That's one of my frustrations with freestyle. 

I wish there were a way to secure like “mini” riding time. Hold down opponent for 30 consecutive seconds (or 45 or 60, the exact time isn’t the idea) and you get a point…opponent is released and you start back from neutral. Or something that can reward a wrestler for controlling on top, but still keep action moving along. That would net you three points at a time if you are able to take down and secure your opponent, but not as much reward for takedown/let up

14 minutes ago, Galagore said:

I wish there were a way to secure like “mini” riding time. Hold down opponent for 30 consecutive seconds (or 45 or 60, the exact time isn’t the idea) and you get a point…opponent is released and you start back from neutral. Or something that can reward a wrestler for controlling on top, but still keep action moving along. That would net you three points at a time if you are able to take down and secure your opponent, but not as much reward for takedown/let up

What about whichever wrestler is winning the riding time battle gets a point no matter how much time it is? I haven't really thought this through so don't hate on me.

40 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

What about whichever wrestler is winning the riding time battle gets a point no matter how much time it is? I haven't really thought this through so don't hate on me.

I am thinking as I go as well…not bad, but is there a way to reward as you go? As in, reward for being able to control, but also incentivize action. Although it is impressive to watch someone accumulate 3+ minutes of riding time, it isn’t too exciting. Especially for a new/casual fan. 

Is it too chaotic to award the point as you describe it at the end of each period? Would make last-second takedowns interesting…or complicated…

For a takedown, you score points inversely proportional to the difference in enrollments of the two schools

Small school takes down big school = 6-8 points

Big school takes down small school = 0.3 - 1.9 points

Referees will have a wrist calculator and a small abacus attached at the waist with a bungee cord

2-1     3-1
4-2     6-2
6-3     9-3
8-4    12-4
10-5   15-5
12-6   18-6
14-7   21-7
16-8   24-8
18-9
20-10
22-11
24-12
26-13
28-14
30-15

First column is the hypothetical current tech fall takedown progression   The second column shows the new rule progression.  I would much rather see a tech on the feet end more quickly than see someone be ragdolled.

1 hour ago, busstogate said:

2-1     3-1
4-2     6-2
6-3     9-3
8-4    12-4
10-5   15-5
12-6   18-6
14-7   21-7
16-8   24-8
18-9
20-10
22-11
24-12
26-13
28-14
30-15

First column is the hypothetical current tech fall takedown progression   The second column shows the new rule progression.  I would much rather see a tech on the feet end more quickly than see someone be ragdolled.

I didn’t think about this. It would definitely change takedown stats for the amount of takedowns they can get in a season. 

The wrestling gods heard my demands and then acquiesced to all of them in their great wisdom.  Now i will cash in my remaining 3 years of eligibility and attend Ancilla or Thrine and win my National Title as a 52 year old who hasn't wrestled a competitive match since I'm 26.  Disney movie here I come.

On 4/24/2023 at 4:23 PM, SIACfan said:

This illustrates why I don't like the 3 pt takedown idea. It would only take 4 TD's/Releases for a wrestler to mount a MD lead.

I do think if someone can take you down four times in a row and you can't respond, you are the lesser wrestler in that match.  Tired of seeing mat wrestlers play the odds and the flips.  Doesn't work for most when the competition levels get higher.