2024 Finals Location

awill0352

14 minutes ago, TripleB said:

I drive 3 hours to Evansville every February and my kid is only in 7th grade!

So you're saying you drive 3 hours to, and 3 hours back from Evansville to sit on wooden bleachers all day to watch your 7th grader wrestle?

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

1 hour ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

So you're saying you drive 3 hours to, and 3 hours back from Evansville to sit on wooden bleachers all day to watch your 7th grader wrestle?

Nice cushy, Evansville Seats, you can spend 30 extra bucks and get nice office chairs even. 

Andddddd it's not Purdue......

3 hours ago, TripleB said:

Nice cushy, Evansville Seats, you can spend 30 extra bucks and get nice office chairs even. 

Andddddd it's not Purdue......

Mother nature isn't taking out Evansville's location right now is it? Stay safe down there and prayers for those in the path!

On 3/2/2023 at 11:16 AM, aoberlin said:

I disagree. I am sure the facility was subsidized and has been given tax breaks to be there. To my knowledge Gainbridge is a fieldhouse used for many different things. Basketball being the main one. IHSAA is a non-profit that promotes amateur youth sports in the State of Indiana. Our tax dollars help keep that place alive. I am sure they make plenty of money for IHSAA State wrestling and have over the years. Just because they can make more money than what they make on us doesn't make it right. I guess choose your battles but as a tax payer and someone that has spent a ton of money in Indy over the last 30 years during this weekend I feel slighted. Also I have sour grapes because I know Fort Wayne was not really considered in this process so I am being petty.

To add to that the IHSAA is no joke. They hold real weight. Youth sports is a huge money maker for local businesses. They have levers they can use for sure. 

Generally in an arena like Gainbridge, there is a primary leaseholder.  That would be the Pacers. So the Pacers would absolutely have something to say and leverage.  I'm sure they're between a rock and a hard place.  But the IHSAA likely doesn't want to pick a fight with a community partner, one who sponsors their championships as well.  I have no idea if the Pacers pay the IHSAA sponsorship money or just provide a venue.  My guess is the venue availability is provided at X rate and the Pacers pay the IHSAA to sponsor.  It would be a fairly typical agreement.  So I think there is a lot more than just one year of wrestling State.  It's relationships that would be damaged as well as the potential to lose the site in the future.  Would you trade this situation, if in say 3-5 years Gainbridge was no longer available?  What if it affected the IHSAA's standing in using it for basketball as well.  Just because they hold weight, doesn't mean they should use it.

On 3/2/2023 at 11:30 AM, Wrestling Scholar said:

The Indiana Geographical population center is in a corn a mile North of Sheridan.    Purdue win's big in that category only a half hour away.  Think of it this way.   The average drive of fans, coach and contestants on average is 3 hours closer to Purdue.   Lets calculate: 13K people traveling  3 hours less  there and back or 6 hours in total will save 78,000 hours of travel.   Think how much fuel saving we'll have that we can throw back into local school districts budgets.

Or think about how much money would be spent in different parts of the state that normally wouldn't see it?  Does that not count for anything?  Just thinking about the travel distance alone is such a myopic view.  Yeah, traveling would be farther for some and it would be a pain in the ass.  But it's for 2 days.  Does no one north of Indy ever go on vacation to anywhere other than Chicago or Indiana Dunes?  Southern schools travel to Ft. Wayne for Team State.  Kids from that area drive to IHPO.  Hell, wrestling and other sports have been clamoring with the IHSAA to change the travel rules beyond the 300 mile for awhile.  So we can say to the IHSAA "Please change the rule so we can travel farther out of state to tournaments, but don't make us drive a couple hours longer for the freaking State Championship? 

Not to mention, while there is no guarantees, the odds of snow and crappy weather are much less in Evansville that weekend.  

I don't care where they have it, but someone please make an argument that includes more than BS about extra drive time and hotel scores. How bad would it be from the IHSAA's larger perspective to throw a bone to a part of the state that is normally ignored?  No goodwill gained there?  Not everyone is going to be happy.  Period.  But there is a much bigger picture here.  

We all love our own part of the state and Indy and the way it is set up downtown is great to have the Championships.  But it ain't happening next year.    

13 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Generally in an arena like Gainbridge, there is a primary leaseholder.  That would be the Pacers. So the Pacers would absolutely have something to say and leverage.  I'm sure they're between a rock and a hard place.  But the IHSAA likely doesn't want to pick a fight with a community partner, one who sponsors their championships as well.  I have no idea if the Pacers pay the IHSAA sponsorship money or just provide a venue.  My guess is the venue availability is provided at X rate and the Pacers pay the IHSAA to sponsor.  It would be a fairly typical agreement.  So I think there is a lot more than just one year of wrestling State.  It's relationships that would be damaged as well as the potential to lose the site in the future.  Would you trade this situation, if in say 3-5 years Gainbridge was no longer available?  What if it affected the IHSAA's standing in using it for basketball as well.  Just because they hold weight, doesn't mean they should use it.

Meh… it’s still a crap thing to do and basketball sucks.

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates?? We were told it would be announced during state week, then a few weeks later…it’s been more than a month. Even if every detail is not 100% finalized, it sure seems like they could at least announce a location.

1 hour ago, Neccdad said:

Any updates?? We were told it would be announced during state week, then a few weeks later…it’s been more than a month. Even if every detail is not 100% finalized, it sure seems like they could at least announce a location.

There is a Executive Committee meeting on Friday. That would likely be the earliest you hear something.

The West Lafayette Contingent has submitted there final bid proposal to the IHSAA state tournament selection committee.    Besides being the most central location, having the largest capacity stadium, the best announcer available and a superior hotel rating and more hotels then the  Evansvile area. The WL contingent has submitted with there bid,  some other positive aspects in the greater Lafayette area.

The WL contingent did a study on found out that, the top 100 restaurants in the Greater Lafayette area had a higher trip advisor rating average then the top 100 at  Evansville.  Im sure #SWINfan would be disappointed in this development.   The Greater Lafayette avg was 4.24 and vs 4.1  in Evansville.    The IHSAA executive committee is putting a lot of weight on local  ammenities and was impressed with the Greater Lafayette area.

Also,  things added to the proposal was a host a concert featuring local musicians at Mackey after the wrestling Friday night.  We thought a good way to keep crowd around to watch the heavyweights.  We have a possible commitment from a local musician named Axl Rose and his band "Guns N Roses".  You might of heard of them.   He supposedly wrestled on the Lafayette Jeff mat when he went to school there and apparently is a big wrestling fan. 

Also,   We have a possible commitment to host a weekend long party at the Neon Cactus for the wrestling community, and are going to rename it for thet weekend  :"Winners Bay".

Also,  in effort to set a record in attendance at the state finals, the contingent group came up with novel idea to draw a large crowd from the Region.  We have a request out to prominent "Region" members to temporarily allow the greater Lafayette area to have "Region" status for that weekend.     

The IHSAA selection committee has been pleased with the communication,  and was quoted as saying that "If Indianaoplis is the heart of Indiana, then West Lafayette  is the brain".   What does that make Evansville, the feet? 

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

36 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

The West Lafayette Contingent has submitted there final bid proposal to the IHSAA state tournament selection committee.    Besides being the most central location, having the largest capacity stadium, the best announcer available and a superior hotel rating and more hotels then the  Evansvile area. The WL contingent has submitted with there bid,  some other positive aspects in the greater Lafayette area.

The WL contingent did a study on found out that, the top 100 restaurants in the Greater Lafayette area had a higher trip advisor rating average then the top 100 at  Evansville.  Im sure #SWINfan would be disappointed in this development.   The Greater Lafayette avg was 4.24 and vs 4.1  in Evansville.    The IHSAA executive committee is putting a lot of weight on local  ammenities and was impressed with the Greater Lafayette area.

Also,  things added to the proposal was a host a concert featuring local musicians at Mackey after the wrestling Friday night.  We thought a good way to keep crowd around to watch the heavyweights.  We have a possible commitment from a local musician named Axl Rose and his band "Guns N Roses".  You might of heard of them.   He supposedly wrestled on the Lafayette Jeff mat when he went to school there and apparently is a big wrestling fan. 

Also,   We have a possible commitment to host a weekend long party at the Neon Cactus for the wrestling community, and are going to rename it for thet weekend  :"Winners Bay".

Also,  in effort to set a record in attendance at the state finals, the contingent group came up with novel idea to draw a large crowd from the Region.  We have a request out to prominent "Region" members to temporarily allow the greater Lafayette area to have "Region" status for that weekend.     

The IHSAA selection committee has been pleased with the communication,  and was quoted as saying that "If Indianaoplis is the heart of Indiana, then West Lafayette  is the brain".   What does that make Evansville, the feet? 

My status as a non-Region intermediary allows me to communicate their reply. Your proposal to temporarily grant "Region" status to West Lafayette is accepted!

But with one modification: to achieve Region status, West Lafayette will need to be temporarily relocated to the United Center in Chicago. 

Glad to resolve all the issues. I am looking forward to IHSAA next year.

49 minutes ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

Wrestling, the IHSAA's step child.

Wrestling is one of the big four sports for the IHSAA. The admins love our state finals and are doing their best to not bunch it up with other state finals. They all want to attend because it's such a cool event.

1 hour ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Wrestling is one of the big four sports for the IHSAA. The admins love our state finals and are doing their best to not bunch it up with other state finals. They all want to attend because it's such a cool event.

It's not the golden child and will never be. If the basketball tournament would have to relocate, they'd have made the announcement as soon as possible. Doesn't mean they don't think our tournament is cool, just means it's lower I'm the ranks of the main 4.

Would everyone prefer they make a hasty decision just so we have an answer? Or take their time and back the best decision for the wrestling community? State's not for almost 11 months. They could announce the location in August, and we'd still have plenty of time to prepare.